PDA

View Full Version : New Member

bobby5
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Hello All, I am a New Member Living in Texas. I picked up a Garrett Crossfire Metal Detector at a G - Sale really cheap and I am Looking forward to learning and Upgrading when the Economy allows. I spent about 30 Minutes in my yard detecting and have found some old nails and 1 Wheat Penny.

OxShoeDrew
06-22-2012, 05:52 PM
30 min and a wheat penny?? :shocked03: It took me a lot longer than that. |:cheering: Welcome to the forum from the nutmeg state and here's to many more coins!

ScrapMetal
06-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum. I bet that 30 minutes and a wheatie whetted your appetite for more detecting. I found my first wheatie about a week ago, and now hoping for my first silver. Learn your machine and you will be digging some teasures.

CODY
06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Welcome bobbys. Welcome from Mississippi. Welcome to the forum. What part of Texas do you live in? I once lived in Richardson, outside of Dallas. Got a brother in Houston and a sister in Arrlington. What was the date on your wheat? ScrapMetal gave you the best advice there is. Learn that machine. All metal detectors talk to you. Dosn't matter how expensive they are. Learn what its telling you. Become one with your machine and the force will be with you! Looking forward to your post and finds.

bobby5
06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks Guys, the wheat is a 1947 very hard to read the date, but I have added a few more nails,screws and poptops to the find list also. I am enjoying every minute of the searches though.

del
06-23-2012, 04:56 AM
congrats on the wheatie Bobby :cheering: |:cheering: , welcome to American Detectorist . theres lots of great early history in Texas if you search well enough and a state that big can only mean one thing ...

more area to search for goodies lol lol i wish you the best on finding it .

Dan

aloldstuff
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Welcome to the forum from western MA. I have spent some time Bridge City, TX. It took me over 200 lincolns before I found my 1st wheat. Congrats and once you learn that machine many more treasures will be coming your way.

Mudder
06-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome Bobby5, and anyone that finds a Wheatie on their first outing already has plenty of luck. Just do what the guys recommended and dig every signal at first and you will do well. :clapping: :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the forum and hobby from SE Wisconsin. Warning, this hobby can be very addicting, GL and HH

buck57
06-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the forum bobby5. :grin: It took me 7 months to find my first wheat. :crying02: Great Job :congrats: About the date hard to see, I'll give you a good idea to try, that I learned last month while I was detecting over in Scotland with a member of the Dectecting Scotland Forum. He told me once you clean the coin up with water, put a dab of cooking oil on your finger and wipe in on the coin. I've tried it, and that date jumps right out. :shocked03: Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01 Eric

Lowjiber
06-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Welcome to the forum from southern Nevada. Your nail-to-wheat ratio is pretty good. Keep it up.

tanacat
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Welcome from Kentucky! Congrats on the wheat |:cheering: Now on to the silver- good sign that there's some there too :yes:

jkress
06-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist from Iowa bobby5. It's great to have you here with us. :clapping:
A Wheat cent 30 minutes in sounds like you have are off to a great start. thumbsup01

I've dug more than my share of old nails over the years. :yes: lol Where there are old nails there is potential for old coins. :beerbuddy:

Epi-hunter
06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forum :) If you found a wheat cent there is more there. Looking forward to your posts!

Tony Two-Cent
06-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad to have you here on American Detectorist, Bobby! :clapping: