PDA

View Full Version : T.H. on old maps?

OxShoeDrew
06-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Some of the 19th century maps that show family names sometimes have an abbreviation- T.H. Sometimes a family name is there too, sometimes just T.H. Does anyone know what this means. I worked a site that was just labeled T.H. this year. It looked like a normal cellar hole. Thanks everyone.

pulltabsteve
06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Treasure hunt :grin:

Full Metal Digger
06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Try posting a picture of what you are talking about. Might make it easier for someone to decipher.

OxShoeDrew
06-27-2012, 06:07 AM
The T. H. is seen after names, as on this pic, and all by itself. Thanks.

lee
06-27-2012, 06:18 AM
i see the letters s.h on the map as well , im no expert but could thy mean short house and tall house ? wild shot in the dark on my part.

del
06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Drew , i've seen these as well and i've hearda few things , one was that . T.H. could stand for Town House meaning this home was agreed to be used as a meeting house for the area ( within that parish) locals in emergencies or to vote or decide on issues . the other i have more belief in is that T.H. stands for tavern house , lots of people that had a larger home and on main roads would convert their home into a bussiness like that , tavern and rooms to rent .

Lee S.H. definately stands for school house .

Dan

Full Metal Digger
06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Drew, I look at lots of old maps online and we do not have the T.H. down here in Illinois. I'm assuming this map is out of an atlas? Try to find the contents and definitions page. The map is interesting because it only shows homeowner names but not property lines. I'm in agreement with the previous poster that it probably stands for town hall. HH, Dave.

OxShoeDrew
06-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys. My picture was so large that you'd have to scroll over to see the rest of it. There are way too many THs to be meeting houses or taverns, just in this pic there are three THs. Two across the street from each other. Dave, you are correct in that it is an atlas. No one has posted the overall key to the maps. I also looked into general map making of the era (which was very interesting btw) but couldn't find it. You know...as I'm thinking about it.....maybe it does mean tall house ....and the fire dept kept these to know which hoses/ladders to send..??

chief5709
06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
At first I was thinking toll house, then did some research and I read it could mean Tool House or Town Hall. There isn't much information for legends on these old atlases.

I don't think it means tall house as a referrence for the fire department. Back then by the time they got there it didn't matter if it was tall or short because it was a basement. In the mid 1800's you would be lucky to have a fire dept come out of the city or village.

Brian

lee
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
omg.....just think if i turn out to be right !!!! .......stop the press !!!!! bloke from east london acturly has a brain......alert....alert !!!!!.
acturly the chances of me being right on this are slim to none.....im a realest...i know my limitations.... :uk:usaflag::

del
06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
back then there were a lot of different local stage stops and these could be houses (again tavern + rooms to rent ) that were designated or afilliated with them .

freemindstuck
07-12-2012, 03:31 AM
The S.H. stands for school house. They were typically small one or two rooms and they were numbered in each township. I see these on my maps all the time. I love hunting ghost school houses! So if you need help hunting the one on your map you give me a hollar. :drool: They typically had an outhouse out back, can be worth digging, and the entrance was usually on the south side. Short house? rofl :hysterical:

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks everyone....I think Dan maybe right (as usual) in that it is a room for rent, tavern house. Another clue is that one of them says T.H. & Store. Kinda implies something a traveler might want to know.

tanacat
07-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Have you hunted it again, find anything neat the first time? Sorry if I missed a thread on it :)

Sounds like a great site :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Have you hunted it again, find anything neat the first time? Sorry if I missed a thread on it :)

Sounds like a great site :clapping:
. Yeah Tanacat, I've been back a few times. Tons of relics...couple of Conestoga bells, cutlery, buttons etc....very trashy...not just the nails either....sheet metal, chicken wire, too much for me. It wasn't machine gun iron...it was overload to overload. :-\

del
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
hey Drew was it a pretty big cellar hole ?? and how about the stonework alot of smaller to mid-sized pens very close to the housesite??

Dan

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
hey Drew was it a pretty big cellar hole ?? and how about the stonework alot of smaller to mid-sized pens very close to the housesite??

Dan

Dan, the hole is on the large side, it is a normal cellar hole with an addition. There is a three sided barn hole (into a hill) about 15 yards from the main house. The house is a corner lot. There is a 30x50ish(small) pen about 30 yards from the house and a road wall. There are also walls out in the fields but they are mostly swamp now. Talk soon, Drew

Merc
07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Im guessing Tavern and Hotel. As Dan stated.