PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Wolf Recovery speed test - with square nail in line with dime

earthmansurfer
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Here is the test that Kyle requested (on another forum) in reference to a Norfolk Wolf video. It was actually pretty fun to do. I have to say I learned a lot and have a lot more questions. After the CTX performed well with the targets 6 - 10 apart (not all on video) I basically spent the test challenging it to get the best signal with the nail and dime less than 1/2 apart from one another. (Would be interesting to see how a Nickel works being that it is a low conductor.)

I realize that a test is not the same as natural in ground targets, but that considered, what really got my attention was how running discrimination really improved things. Again, I realize this is just a test but the in my tests with the E-Trac, running some disc (28 Fe down) seemed better than not running any (e.g. TTF). Further, ferrous coin once again created questions for me (in addition most people run it with no disc so something to think about.) Ferrous Coin really behaves differently and I think comparing it to high trash on targets in the field will be the way to go in the end.

Overall, I played with the following settings/modes:
high trash vs. ferrous coin, recovery fast on/off and modes 50 CO vs. Combine. 50 CO with more disc seemed to perform better than Combine (I think due to 50 CO having more disc - the only difference between the modes.) Will have to revisit Combine with more disc to make things equal.

I appreciate all feedback, suggestion, etc. I have taken a lot of suggestions over past videos into account and appreciate everything.

Thanks,
Albert

Minelab CTX 3030 - Norfolk Wolf Recovery Test - Square Nail and Dime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL9M5z_ElSU#ws)

earthmansurfer
06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
A redo of the test was requested on another forum:

I was able to sneak out for an hour today and redo the test with the best settings I have found.

In the video my best response settings are: 50 Conductive with recovery fast on and ferrous coin. Disc from 28 on down.

Note - I did the test buried as well. I started at 4 and was able to pick up the coin when 1 from the nail, in both directions. Also got it at 6 down (sensitivity 20) but had to move them 2 apart. Finally I tried it at 8 down and picked it up enough to be a dig me at 2 apart but the nail falsed. As I dug up the nail and coin I found some 1.5 chunks of iron under and around the targets. I probably missed it prior due to my sensitivity being at only 15 ish to start (iron is really everywhere). So, I won't include the videos here but will search for a clean spot and redo them the right way. Just wanted to mention it though as the results are promising.

Minelab CTX 3030 - Norfolk Wolf Recovery Speed Test - Best Settings Addendum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4wpzdnHFw#ws)