PDA

View Full Version : 1802 Draped Bust LC need some advice

Thiltzy
06-24-2012, 04:19 PM
:confused: I recently found a couple large cents. One of them was complete toast as are most of my Large Cent finds however, the Draped Bust has a readable date of 1802 and I have been letting it sit in a flip for a couple of weeks until I figure out what to do with it.

I know alot of you find your share of Large coppers so I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on a way to try and clean this one. The detail looks like it will just flake off so am I better off just leaving it as is:huh:
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

coinhunter
06-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Best leave it as is.Speaking from experience you'll only make it worst and regret it afterwards.

Tony Two-Cent
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I agree, leave it alone. From the looks of it, any further attempts at cleaning would just make detail disappear.

Still an incredible find! I like it just the way it is! :loveit:

tanacat
06-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Congrats on excellent find!!! |:cheering:

starman2
06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
|:cheering:! Nice copper! I've never found one yet. So I can't tell ya how to clean it. Probably better left alone. Congrats!

aloldstuff
06-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Very nice find. As I was told earlier most coppers will not come out of the ground in good shape. :congrats: on a very nice find.

del
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Thiltzy congrats on the early penny |:cheering: the skin of the coin is very thick and as you can see around the edges where it has come off its very rough , poreous and ruddy red in color . cleaning this further will only take off much detail i'm afraid.

Dan

Thiltzy
06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Thiltzy congrats on the early penny |:cheering: the skin of the coin is very thick and as you can see around the edges where it has come off its very rough , poreous and ruddy red in color . cleaning this further will only take off much detail i'm afraid.

Dan

Thats what I figured Dan. I guess I was just hoping that some of you cellar dwellars might have come up with a miracle cleaner for old coppers :grin:

pulltabsteve
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
My very first old coin was an 1802 LC I found back in 2007. Here's how it looked when I found it. I made the mistake of listening to a few people on how to clean it and ruined it completely. All that remained was the date. Leave it alone!

JTGOLD
06-26-2012, 07:59 AM
I agree don't try to clean it,looks ok the way it is.