PDA

View Full Version : using probe setting

pointer80
03-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey all, I have question about probe settings. When I do a probe check I usually have low signal loss and the recommended rx gain is high. But when I set the rx gain to the recommended setting the signal loss increases quite a bit. Is it better to have a high rx gain setting and high signal loss or low signal loss and a lower rx gain setting? Thank you pointer80

CyberSage
03-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Assuming that you are using a V rated coil, in my experience most probe recommendations are a little on the high side. I would focus on maintaining a high Discrimination Sensitivity and not push the RX Gain all the way up. I think anywhere between 3 - 12 on the RX is a good range for multi frequency modes. Single frequency modes can be set a little higher. You really see a jump in depth in moderate to low mineralization strength soils when you can get your Discrimination Sensitivity up to between 90 and 95. Non-V rated coils will not give accurate probe results in Multi frequency modes or in 22.5kHz single frequency. The 2.5kHz and 7.5kHz will be accurate however. You can usually set the RX a little higher than recommended with a Non V coil in multi frequency modes. I use a 10x12 SEF coil (non-V rated) a lot. I have my RX at 8 with a Discrimination Sensitivity of 90-92. I can hit a copper penny at 9 inches easily (Correlate mode). The probe in this case recommended an RX of 5. Hope this helps out. You might see higher signal loss, but the way I see it you have more signal to loose, so your still getting good feed back from the coil. Listen to your threshold. Above all make sure it is stable and smooth.

Jack

pointer80
03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
hey jack, thank you for your response. a couple of questions. what is the max signal lost you dont want to exceed? also when you say disc. sensitivity do you mean ac sensitivity or is disc sensitivity a setting of its own and if so how do I excess it. thanks again jack.