PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New Member from New York

chief5709
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Hello, I thought I would broaden my horizons and check out another forum. Some of the members here looked familiar so itl ooked like a nice site to visit! Anyways I live in upstate NY near Saratoga Springs and was first introduced to detecting by my dad back in the late 70's when I was a kid! Always had an interest in it but never took up the hobby until about four years ago and have been hooked since. I work as a full time safety manager in pre-cast concrete industry, work part-time as a state fire instructor and have been a volunteer firefighter for the past 24 years.

aloldstuff
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Chief5709, welcome and glad you decided to visit us here. You got some rich historical territory up there. What type of detector are you swinging? Looking forward to your future posts. You can also post up some pictures of previous finds, we all love pictures.

del
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
hey hello Brian :waving:
welcome to American Detectorist , i'm glad you found the place :yes:.
yeah , people here love to see finds and i know you've made some nice ones .
again welcome ,

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
06-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. It is always nice to welcome a fellow Fire Fighter. HH
Jeff

buck57
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi there chief. :waving:. Welcome to the forum. I too was on an other forum in the states, but didn't care for it as much as I like this one. I'm also on the Decting Scotland Forum. A bunch of friendly guys on that one as well. We joined them, before my wife and I went to visit family last month. :wow:. Wow, what a place to hunt. :omg:. Any ways, good hunting to ya chief, thumbsup01. and can't wait to see some pics. :shocked03:. Eric

jkress
06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Welcome from Iowa chief5709. Glad you decided to give American Detectorist a test drive. :clapping:
I did the same thing a while back and found it to be a very comfortable place loaded with great detectorists.

I'll bet your Dad acquired a very impressive collection during those early years. :drool:

Epi-hunter
06-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Welcome originally from Iowa and now from Kentucky. :)

Glad to have you!

Lowjiber
06-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Glad you found us. Welcome from southern Nevada.

Tony Two-Cent
06-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad to have you here on American Detectorist! :clapping:

chief5709
06-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome! a wide range of detectorist here!

aloldstuff - I swing an E-Trac for the last two years, started on a Musketeer Adv which I am training my daughter on, but its still a little to heavy for her.

del - I saw you were a moderator and had to join!

FF43 - can't go wrong with a bunch of firefighters on the forum!

Jkress - dad had an awesome collection, but lost most of it when our house burnt in the late 80's. But I still have one of his 6# cannon balls that I display in my living room. It was fun going out with him back then, most of the places he detected are now federally owned and off limits.

again thanks for the welcome!

OxShoeDrew
06-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your house burning and I hope your fire fighting efforts are well appreciated in your town. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Is that what prompted you to volunteer? I hope you like it here!

CODY
06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Welcome from Mississippi, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your finds and post.

tanacat
06-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Welcome from Kentucky :groovy: Wow you've been at it a long time. That's great you're detecting w/your daughter- how old is she? I just bought my 4 yr old son a White's Coinmaster with a 'pee wee pole' |:cheering:

He's been 'in training' for the past 3 years at the tot lots lol And finally ready for the swingin' part.

Hope to see some finds from your- as Al said- rich historical territory up there in NY.

chief5709
06-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your house burning and I hope your fire fighting efforts are well appreciated in your town. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Is that what prompted you to volunteer? I hope you like it here!

I had actually just joined a couple of months before the fire... The Christmas tree caught fire and gutted the house, fortunately nobody was hurt and the house was structurally still sound.

chief5709
06-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Welcome from Kentucky :groovy: Wow you've been at it a long time. That's great you're detecting w/your daughter- how old is she? I just bought my 4 yr old son a White's Coinmaster with a 'pee wee pole' |:cheering:

He's been 'in training' for the past 3 years at the tot lots lol And finally ready for the swingin' part.

Hope to see some finds from your- as Al said- rich historical territory up there in NY.

My daughter is 8 and has a small kid's detector that she told me isn't good enough anymore. So looks like an Ace250 is on the Christmas list this year.

I am very fortunate that I can go out in the back field and dig Rev War relics, there is a ton of history here but getting permission to hunt on private property isn't easy.

Coinhunter13
06-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi from Wisconsin Chief, I am new to the forum also and new to detecting, there are a lot of good people here willing to help with their experience. I have only done two hunts, finding only clad but I am loving it!! your daughter will love the ACE 250 it is what I am starting with and it is easy to learn on. HH and looking forward to the expertise you bring and also seeing your future finds. ::usaflag::

Kelly