PDA

View Full Version : indian head

randy
03-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Pulled my first Indian head today. Sort of surprising as the site was a golf course in the 40s and 50s, but just farmland before that with no buildings anywhere near where I found it (that I know of, anyway). Usually just gives of wheats and a stray 20th century silver (but this site strangely has also given up a half-cent).

Came up as +54 which almost always a zincoln or other trash, but I dug it because was deeper (about 4.5 inches). Coil was fine the first half of the hunt, but just like yesterday, went on the blink halfway thru. I guess it got bored. Also found a handful of wheats but no silver.

Having found 20 large coppers, I was glad to finally find a stinkin' Indian :)

angellionel
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Nice old Indian Head cent. It appears to be in good shape too. :)

Epi-hunter
03-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Nice IH!! I love finding those. Sounds like that 40's golfcourse was the site of some earlier activity as well, even if there wasn't a house or farm nearby. There must be more there :)

z118
03-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Congrats! It is odd how various types of old coins elude certain people for strange lengths of time. Who would think you could find 20 coppers before finding and Indian Head. but I guess that's what makes the hobby so interesting.

coinnut
03-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Hey, at least the Indian is old lol I wouldn't complain about finding coppers over Indians though rofl I'll take that everytime ;) It's very possible that they needed top soil for the golf course and had it trucked in from who knows where. That is probably where all the older items come from. But it's also possible that there was activity there from earlier times too. That Indian should clean up well. Now you have an 1883 Indian in you coin book. thumbsup01