PDA

View Full Version : It arrived today!!!

Patrick
06-30-2012, 04:52 PM
My first Metal Detector I have ever owned just arrived! :happy: <: It's not a high dollar machine but it's a start. NOW to figure this thing out. I just wanna get outside with it and of all days it's 100 degrees outside! Anyway, any tips or tricks are welcomed.

del
06-30-2012, 05:54 PM
I just wanna get outside with it and of all days it's 100 degrees outside!

isn't it always the case :hairpulling: lol lol congrats on the new machine and please keep us updated to your treasures Patrick.

Dan

Patrick
06-30-2012, 06:09 PM
O.k. so I tuffed out the heat for about 45 minutes just to get used to my new machine. I found an old bolt, what looks to be an old nickel, and a penny that has appearantly been in the ground for a long time. I can see that it says one cent on the back but I can't read anything else on it. So now the question, How do I try to clean these coins and what do I look for on them? I am jacked!!! happydance02 My machine actually worked and even though what I found wasn't a major find, it still got the juices flowing!! <:

del
06-30-2012, 06:25 PM
a good rule of thumb is ...

always id your coin first before your next step ( you don't want harm a key date )

always try the least harmful ways to clean it first ( water , soap and water ,)

Dan

Patrick
06-30-2012, 06:37 PM
O.k. then I did the right thing. I put the coins in some warm soapy water to soak for a little while.

Tony Two-Cent
06-30-2012, 07:15 PM
It sounds like you hit the ground running!

What type of site did you hunt at to try out your detctor? Your own yard, or a park, or other?

Congrats on your first detector and your first finds!

:happy:

Patrick
06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
I have a little over an acre of field on my property but the few little things I found today was just in my front yard. I live in prime Civil War relic area and my wifes cousin has found some buckles, buttons, and bullets from the civil war. That would be some really cool items to find. Keeping my fingers crossed.

POKIE73
06-30-2012, 08:39 PM
congrats on your first finds if it is a cooper penny try boiling peoxide and let it sit in it for little while and then tak a q tip and use whats left to dab at the coin sometimes that will help dennis

Patrick
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I finally got the penny just clean enough to see that it's a 1941 wheat penny. The nickel was from the 90's

CODY
07-01-2012, 03:17 AM
Hey, I would be happy to come up and spend some time showing you how to use your machine in this prime area. Of course I get to keep what I find. Hahaha. Seriously. TAKE YOUR TIME! Its your place, and its not going anywhere, Learn your machine and have fun! There is no telling whats laying out there just waiting for you. Keep us posted!

DirtyMoney
07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Congrats on the new machine. Always remember, it' not so much the level of the machine, as it is the caliber of the person using it. You made some good finds, with many more to come.

HH

milco
07-04-2012, 11:57 AM
As a four year veteran purveyor of low cost machines, dig everything, learn your machine, hit good locations, and the goodies will find their way under your coil!

OxShoeDrew
07-05-2012, 04:00 PM
wow, a keeper on your first try thumbsup01 You're hooked. Listen Patrick, don't forget your family and friends, don't skip work to hunt....well, once in a while :grin: and most importantly...post your finds so we get all :envious:! :congrats: and good luck.

freemindstuck
07-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Hi,

Welcome to that odd addiction people call metal detecting. During the really hot days, you should just crank the gain way down, get your old coin collection out and do some air test indoors where it's :cool:. If you're hunting civil war relics, avoid the coin and jewelry modes, and see if your detector has either a relic mode or an all metal mode.

Good Luck