PDA

View Full Version : E-Trac Sensitivity ?

cliff490
03-19-2010, 11:31 PM
If you are hunting in manual 27 sensitivity and you switch to auto will the detector try to hunt as close to 27 as it can?
Or does the manual setting have nothing to do with the auto setting? I understand using auto +1 +2 +3 Just wondering if the starting point is what you have it set at in manual.
I am used to using an explorer.

coinnut
03-20-2010, 03:25 AM
If you are hunting in manual 27 sensitivity and you switch to auto will the detector try to hunt as close to 27 as it can?
Or does the manual setting have nothing to do with the auto setting? I understand using auto +1 +2 +3 Just wondering if the starting point is what you have it set at in manual.

My best guess is no. In manual, you pick a sensitivity, and that most likely is not the one the machine would have choosen. In auto (and plus 1, 2, or 3), the machines chooses the most stable settings and then adds +1,2 or 3. It would never try and match your manual sensitivity. I would say they have nothing to do with each other. That's how I've viewed it anyways. :confused:

angellionel
03-20-2010, 06:31 AM

To add to what coinnut said, you can note what the machine is recommending for a given site by viewing the right hand side bar, and comparing it to the left hand side bar, which shows what sensitivity setting is currently being used.

hoser
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Well yesterday I hunt on military ground for the first time with the Etrac. I started in auto +3 and the machine was driving me nuts. Almost sounded like EMI. I tried the noise cancel thing and that didn't work. :bangahead01: So I started lowering my sens. I finally had to go to manual 27 before it even came close to settling down. This was a new area and maybe there was something there the Etrac just didn't like...........AT ALL!! :mad: We went to a new location and I was able to put it back to where I had it originally. I know there is a ton of old brass casings laying around, but this was just over the top. Any suggestions?

coinnut
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Well yesterday I hunt on military ground for the first time with the Etrac. I started in auto +3 and the machine was driving me nuts. Almost sounded like EMI. I tried the noise cancel thing and that didn't work. :bangahead01: So I started lowering my sens. I finally had to go to manual 27 before it even came close to settling down. This was a new area and maybe there was something there the Etrac just didn't like...........AT ALL!! :mad: We went to a new location and I was able to put it back to where I had it originally. I know there is a ton of old brass casings laying around, but this was just over the top. Any suggestions?

I'm confused Hoser?? The auto +3 should have read lower than the manual sensitivity of 27. If you could run Manual sens 27, then you should be able to run auto +3 no problem. :confused: I suspect that you hit so many targets that it confused your machine. I would run auto +3, but start far away from any shell casings. Auto + 3 has always run super smooth for me, better than any high (27) manual I could have run. So I would give it a second shot far away from the congested areas. Start there and work your way into the junk!! :yes:

Epi-hunter
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
I am rarely able to run a manual sensitivity over 26. What were you able to use before?

At many places here, I can't run sensitivity over 23. I set it on manual usually. Auto+3 always gives me a lower number.

hoser
03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
AHHH! There in lies the problem. OPERATOR ERROR! :crazy: :embarrassed: Good thing I have only been at this for one week. I just plain went the wrong way with my sens. MORON Hoser rofl. Thanks for the input. Now I'll go back and do it right this time. ;)

coinnut
03-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I almost exclusively run auto+3 in my areas. If the ground wasn't littered with iron the way it is, I would be able to run higher manual. I have switched back and forth and just wanted to have a quiet machine without some falsing so I chose auto lol I must be getting old rofl

Eagle 1
04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I also exclusively run auto+3. I was at the beach last week and I had sensitivity on auto +3. I looked at it and it was running at 26 + 3 so that makes the sensitivity was 29. It was nice and quiet. I wanted to try it in manual just to see how high I could get. I could not pass 25 with out it going nuts. So I found that auto +3 works better. I don't know if there is a manual ground balance
I would think there is that would help when I go into manual. But I was on the beach too that have something to do with it.
I have not used all the setting yet but getting there.

Eagle 1

John S
04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I guess everyone knows you can us this pad to go back and forth from manual to auto. Well if not you can.

cliff490
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Yea,, What i was getting at is on an Explorer if you set the sens to 30 in manual and then hit auto the detector will try to run as close to 30 as it can.
If you set it 10 in manual it will run close to 10 in auto
But on the ET AUTO is just that AUTO. On the ET it seems to depend on conditions and has no bearing on what you have the manual sens set at?

Another observation I have made is sens set at 27 on the ET seems to be a lot hotter than sens set at 27 on an explorer?
Has any one ells noticed this?

John S
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes I have noticed that all so. What I do is put the manual sen. on 28 and run in auto and if I have a iffy sound click on manual sen. and check it.

coinnut
04-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Yes, the auto and manual have nothing to do with each other on the E Trac. I do love the function of toggling between the two. I run as hot a sensitivity in manual as I can stand, and when I can't take it any more, I just toggle to auto+3 lol The only bad thing about Auto is it seems to plummet way down when you get a lot of iron, like at a cellar hole or old farm house. It takes a bit to get it to climb back up when the iron clears out :yes: