PDA

View Full Version : 1939 World's Fair Pin & .925

z118
03-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Hit a big tot lot that gave up a boat load of coins in the first half of last year. Not so this morning. I think I have gotten to the point that I have hunted out the local tot lots and continue to hunt them faster than they produce... or there is more competition now... or both. At any rate the morning started out with a sense of frustration, UNTIL I scored a nice .925 Tiffany pendant under some play equipment. A nice chunk of sterling always cheers me up.

Still, after that I had had enough of tot lots, so I headed a few towns over for some dirt hunting in an older park that last year gave up a dozen or so wheats but no silver. I was certain there was silver to be had, and I was willing to contend with all the trash to try and find it. A few targets into the hunt I pulled a neat New York World's Fair pin. I'm fairly certain it is from the 1939-40 fair, given that it shows Trylon and Perisphere. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trylon_and_Perisphere ) It's a little beat up but still a nice find. It made me hopeful for some older finds but it wasn't to be - not even a single wheat. I wound up pulling some clad (mostly cruddy pennies) and a lot of junk.

At one point in a different section of the park I eyeballed what looked like two quarters on the ground. As is my habit I swung the coil over them and was surprised to get no signal whatsoever - just a null. I repeated in several directions - nothing. They turned out to be a modern quarters from Canada and the Cayman Islands - weird combo.

Total for the morning was 118 coins worth $8.66. With any luck I'll get out again tonight.

Anyway... happy hunting!

Epi-hunter
03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Very nice pin!! I love those type of finds. Congrats on the silver too! All of these posts are making me very envious crying01 :)

BillZ
03-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice pin!
That's a lot of clad for one hunt also.

angellionel
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Good hunt, Z! I do like that pin and the Tiffany pendant.