Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The PRO-FIND 25 - Minelab's New Pin-Pointer

The PRO-FIND 25 - Minelab's New Pin-Pointer

"Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Re: The PRO-FIND 25 - Minelab's New Pin-Pointer

Interesting, wonder what the price tag will be?

And here is an introductory video that Minelab posted on Facebook this morning.

(See? Facebook isn't just for reading about what your college roommate had for breakfast!)

http://www.minelab.com/usa/videos?id=101784
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

i don't like the 360 degree detecting capabilities , it can be more confusing to newbies to find a target in the hole (i've seen it happen with the students at the Pequot hunts ) i much more like only the tip or one directional detecting like the vibra-probe 580 i use . hey Jack do they go into detail why they went the VLF rout on this probe alot seem to be pulse induction now ??

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10627.msg117037#msg117037 date=1342469743
    hey Jack do they go into detail why they went the VLF rout on this probe alot seem to be pulse induction now ??

Dan
    I have not heard anything about why they went the VLF route. I have used a pistol probe (pulse induction) before, and did not care for it. It wanted to sound off even at 5-6 inches. Worthless at that range. I had to adjust it way down. A 3-4 inch range is about right for me. The 360 degree detecting is the same way on the pro pointer. I don't see it as a disadvantage. The Vibra Probe 580 looks like a great probe, if you don't mind taking out the battery when your not using it. lol

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

[size=1t]Stylistically it looks a lot like the Garrett Pro-Pointer. I wonder if it is manufactured by the same company? I'm interested in the price as well.

Rumor has it that it will sell for $169.00. I have even seen this price advertised at various dealers for that amount already.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Just watched the video and it mentions that they used VLF because it is more sensitive. I like the fact that you can turn noise off and use it in vibrate only, I actually put tape over my Pro Pointer speaker to keep it quite. The sensitivity adjustment is also a nice feature, like Jack mentioned the 3-4 inch range is perfect but sometimes it is nice to get real precise.
    I have one on order with our Sponsor NE detectors. My pro Pointer is on its last legs, it seems to be loosing sensitivity so its good timing for me.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Here is what the Garrett Pro-Pointer does (approximately). Second number is with a coin on the shaft to get the extra depth:
    penny***1.50***2-25
    nickel***1.75***3
    dime****1.25***2.5
    quarter**1.50***3

Here is the Minelab pinpointer at max sensitivity:

dime****1.75
    quarter**2.25

So, 50% more depth with no coin sliding trick. Note - you can also do the coin trick on the Minelab, so it is deeper than the Garrett in every respect (if that is important for you). I think 3 - 4 of depth is about perfect to check targets under the surface before you dig or when at the bottom of a deep plug to check where to go next!

Another nice tidbit - from ironhearted_gog
    The Minelab is more measured in its audio responses..... if you move it towards the target, the beep speed gradually increases.... whereas the Garrett quickly increases to a scream over a lot shorter distance.

Albert

Minelabs site states in goes on sale 07-30-12

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=10627.msg117045#msg117045 date=1342482813
    The 360 degree detecting is the same way on the pro pointer. I don't see it as a disadvantage.
    not as much a disadvantage but can be confusing to the newbie until he or she figures out where the target actually is in the hole or how exactly the pinpointer works .

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=10627.msg117045#msg117045 date=1342482813
    The Vibra Probe 580 looks like a great probe, if you don't mind taking out the battery when your not using it. lol
    i don't get this part , Jack

my first battery (1 nine volt) lasted a good year and a half in the 580

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10627.msg117128#msg117128 date=1342552320
    i don't get this part , Jack

my first battery (1 nine volt) lasted a good year and a half in the 580
    There was talk concerning the probe turning itself on when not in use. This was awhile ago, and may not be an issue anymore. What kind of range do you get with it Del?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=10627.msg117137#msg117137 date=1342562633
    There was talk concerning the probe turning itself on when not in use. This was awhile ago, and may not be an issue anymore. What kind of range do you get with it Del?
    i've never had that happen with mine Jack and the first i heard about that , i get somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 inches on a large cent or quarter sized targets .

Dan

I like the vibrate only feature, I too put electrical tape over the speaker on my Garrett to reduce the noise.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=10627.msg117147#msg117147 date=1342572471
    i've never had that happen with mine Jack and the first i heard about that , i get somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 inches on a large cent or quarter sized targets .

Dan
    That's just about perfect. I might have to give one a try.

Retail is $195 and one dealer is taking preorders for $169.

Quote Originally Posted by earthmansurfer link=topic=10627.msg117100#msg117100 date=1342546089
    Here is the Minelab pinpointer at max sensitivity:

dime****1.75
    quarter**2.25

Albert
    I guess I won't be buying one. A dime at 1.75 lol
    I thought a company like Minelab would have done better at designing a pinpointer.

The purpose of a pinpointer probe is to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the mound of dirt you just dug out. At 1.75 on a dime, it's anyones guess.

A decent pinpointer at max sensitivity should give at least 3 inches or more on a dime. 5 inches or more on a quarter.
    Minelab and the other pinpointer manufacturers should take a lesson from Sunray and produce a tool, not a toy.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Quote Originally Posted by midas link=topic=10627.msg117444#msg117444 date=1342886531
    I thought a company like Minelab would have done better at designing a pinpointer.

The purpose of a pinpointer probe is to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the mound of dirt you just dug out. At 1.75 on a dime, it's anyones guess.

A decent pinpointer at max sensitivity should give at least 3 inches or more on a dime. 5 inches or more on a quarter.
    Minelab and the other pinpointer manufacturers should take a lesson from Sunray and produce a tool, not a toy.
    Some metal detectors won't go 5! rofl (I think we are bound by VLF technology.)
    The Detector Pro is a PI pinpointer and will get a dime at 4 and quarter at 5 but it is an awfully large device and looks too much like a gun for me to carry. I don't believe it gives you a clear difference in response regarding a 1 deep target vs 4 deep.

The Garrett Pro Pointer is a GREAT unit, really. (I am mostly happy with it but...) If I can get 50% more depth for 20 bucks or so more (here In Europe) then that is great. And, if you want, you can still supercharge it like the Garrett but I won't be doing that. I think you might get close to your 5 then!

To me, a pinpointer is an aid. You have your metal detector to tell you about how deep the target is. That coupled with a reasonably deep pinpointer, should be enough to find any target.

I should say, in the ground the Pro-Find will detect deeper (said a tester).

Albert

I nkow I want one. Anything Minelab makes is good
    E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Leshe, Leshe Sampson

I concur on those depth desires. If either the GPP or the PFind can be supertuned by a process of a gimmic, then a design engineer should have been able to make a model with the 3 capability by default. Had Minelab done that, and then gave the sensitivity control for detuning it if desired...they'd get my money, even though I own 2 Garretts. There simply was not much added at all to the PFP to steer me away from the GPP, so my wallet stays happy today. Add to the lack of extra frills, you also have the price hike, and nobody knows how Minelab will be on warranty work compared to Garretts. I have the definite advantage of not needing a PP for some time since I own 2 Garretts pointers, each healthy.

I would have waited for the hoopla to settle anyway, even if there had been a 3 range on the ML pointer. There wasn't respectable range increase though. It will be fun following the new ML on these detecting sites. Best of luck to all who jumps on one. martin

Quote Originally Posted by midas link=topic=10627.msg117444#msg117444 date=1342886531