Thread: Group hunt in Central Iowa?

Group hunt in Central Iowa?

Hi,

I'm living in Lamoni, down in south central Iowa. I was thinking it'd be cool to do a group hunt this fall somewhere in the Des Moines area. Figure it'd be a good location since it's about the center of the state. I don't really have a site in mind but would be open to suggestions.

Adrian

Re: Group hunt in Central Iowa?

thats a great idea Adrian , i wished i was closer it would be a great time to meet alot of you guys in person . i hope you can get a few together and take some pictures of the event for the forum.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

im up for a iowa hunt in spring of 2013 lets do this hunt!How far is Desmoin from the quad cities?

Hi ssserena,

It's roughly 178 miles and about 90 miles from where I live. I've put out a few invitations on other forums as well and maybe I'll get a few more responses but I'm flexible as to the location. I'm also thought I'd try to contact any metal detecting clubs in Des Moines.

Adrian

ya im a tad bummed I was going to go to the Virginia hunt but due to high gas prices and owning a etrac with the culpepper soil in eastern Virginia a nice metal detecting person talked me out of it.Now that im not going to Virginia ide like to get a fair amount of detectist together for a small hunt.

I have a v3i and a friend of mine in town uses an old minelab explorer. Although he's been talking about upgrading. We'd both be up for a drive this spring to go hunting, so that's 3 people? lol I was looking and there don't appear to be any metal detecting clubs in Des Moines. I was hoping to find a local so I wouldn't have to do the research to find a spot. Sometimes the little towns in Iowa are better places and a lot of them used to have horse race tracks back in the 1800's. Or we could try to find a ghost town? Which there are a lot of in Iowa. In 1890 the population of Decatur county where I live was twice what it is today. Iowa State has a pretty extensive online map collection so it shouldn't be to hard to find a good location.

I really think this is going to work I have another friend in here ill have to ask him hes the only person ive really hunted a lot with hes a good friend and I trust him im sure hes reading this right now and mark if you want to go too im sure these guys in iowa would like more the merrier it would be fun!

It would be great to do a group hunt in Des Moines area this spring-summer-fall. I'd be up for it. I would also be up for joining you if you would like a hunting buddy in your area. I am in the Des Moines area and have plenty of time to go dirt fishing with you. Hit me up. I will be out as soon as the ground thaws.
    Today's the day!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFishingDude link=topic=10830.msg135067#msg135067 date=1362553687
    It would be great to do a group hunt in Des Moines area this spring-summer-fall. I'd be up for it. I would also be up for joining you if you would like a hunting buddy in your area. I am in the Des Moines area and have plenty of time to go dirt fishing with you. Hit me up. I will be out as soon as the ground thaws.
    Hi,
    I've been talking to a guy from Ankeny named Jason that is down with a group hunt this spring. We have been talking about hunting Birdland-Union park. But feel free to speak up if you think you have a better location. Let me know when the ground thaws in Des Moines.

Adrian

I've hunted there a few times. Have not had great luck there myself, but definitely worth hitting some more areas. I talked to a guy once there who said he found a Morgan silver dollar in an old coffee can years ago. Lots of area to hunt. Best I've done is some wheaties and bullet casings. This park and several others were acquired by the city in 1890. I have recently found three new areas that are as old or older that I am dying to dig. The last part of the Martin Luther King connecter is one prime spot. I look forward to meeting up with you soon.
    Today's the day!

count me in for iowa hunt..

I have been out a few times recently in Des Moines area and elsewhere. I started with some coin-shooting at a couple of parks just to get back in the swing of things. The bond with my DFX is still strong. I plan to hunt as often as my creaky joints will allow and would love to have some hunting buddies. No really exciting finds yet, but I did dig an old trash dump for a few treasures. Unfortunately, all my pics are too large to post here. I just set up a FB group Central Iowa Metal Detectives, https://www.facebook.com/groups/IowaDirtFishing/ Feel free to join and we can work on a meetup.
    Today's the day!

just ran across this and though I would post.
    I also live in Lamoni and have wanted to get some people together to help dig up some history!
    Myself and a Buddy (the Honeyman I like to call him....also from Lamoni oddly enough) would also be interested in getting together for a group hunt.
    Lets just put June out there and see if a day can fall into place!?!?
    I swing a Whites and the Honeyman is a Garrett guy.
    going to check out your Facebook page DirtFishingDude and lets make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood1963 link=topic=10830.msg141080#msg141080 date=1368765455
    just ran across this and though I would post.
    I also live in Lamoni and have wanted to get some people together to help dig up some history!
    Myself and a Buddy (the Honeyman I like to call him....also from Lamoni oddly enough) would also be interested in getting together for a group hunt.
    Lets just put June out there and see if a day can fall into place!?!?
    I swing a Whites and the Honeyman is a Garrett guy.
    going to check out your Facebook page DirtFishingDude and lets make it happen!
    Hi Driftwood,
    I think I met your friend honeyman the other day while hunting liberty hall. I gave him my number. We should get together for a local hunt. I use a white's as well. I'm also down for a hunt in Des Moines but don't have a facebook account so post the time and day here or just call me.

Hey guys lets get this thing going full speed.Lets check out some super small towns in extreme eastern iowa and i will be there just not this weekend!Lets do this thing.Ill get some maps and spin the bottle and see what town in extreme east iowa it lands on and we can all meet on a early saturday morning in the next month.