Thread: Experiments with the Extended Range Trick on the Garrett Pro

Experiments with the Extended Range Trick on the Garrett Pro

I air tested this effect on three separate pinpointers. The Garrett pro pointer, White's older Bullseye 120mm (has a very boxy housing) and the newer White's Bullseye 2. On both White's I only tried extending the range with a silver rosie dime. But on the Garrett Pro I used a 1/2 by 1/2 single ply of foil, a silver rosie dime, a clad nickel, and a silver half Benjamin. I tested all the pinpointers for distance detecting a silver rosie dime over a wooden ruler edgewise and facewise. I tried to slide the metal object back on the coil until the pinpointer was completely quiet and stable on each test. The trick only effectively extended the range on the Garrett Pro and the White's Bulleye 2. Surprisingly the Older White's Bullseye performed as well a the Garrett Pro in normal operation. Slightly better on the coins edge actually. The extended range effect seems to be affected by the mass and conductivity of the metal object placed against the coil. Observe that the silver rosie outperformed the clad nickel even though the nickel was more massive. And that the more massive silver Benjamin half dollar out performed the silver rosie even though their conductive properties must be very similar. I encourage others to experiment and try to replicate my results.

Normal Operation Extended Range
    edge face edge face
    Older White's Bullseye 5/8 1 3/16 3/4 1 1/4
    (with silver rosie dime)

White's Bulleye II 3/8 5/8 5/8 1 1/16
    (with silver rosie dime)

Garrett Pro Pointer
    (with 1/2x1/2 foil) 3/8 1 3/8 7/8 2
    (with silver rosie dime) 3/8 1 3/8 1 3/8 2 3/4
    (with clad nickel) 3/8 1 3/8 1 1/4 2 1/2
    (with Benjamin Half) 3/8 1 3/8 1 7/8 4 1/4

p.s. I'd like to thank my friend Steve for letting me use his White's Bullseye 120mm pinpointer.
    p.s.s. My table doesn't format correctly on my phone, just on my computer.

Re: Experiments with the Extended Range Trick on the Garrett Pro

Interesting results. The Whites Bulls-eye II has a 36 kHz operating frequency. The Garrett has a 12 kHz operating frequency. I am not sure what the old original operated at. I am having trouble understanding why the mass of the slider object should matter at all. The greater the mass the farther away from the tip of the pinpointer it would have to be to achive the effect. I would think the conductivity of the slider object, and target in relationship to the frequency being used would be the determining factor in distance.

I.E., Bury a copper penny at 4 inches. Then bury a very small brass or copper washer at 1 inch. Most detectors will see them as the same target in both motion, and all metal mode, and at the same depth (4 inches)

Thanks for posting your results! I will definitely have to play around with this.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Re: Experiments with the Extended Range Trick on the Garrett Pro

2+ inches with the Garrett with utilizing the trick is impressive. I have no idea on the technical aspects of this but it is interesting to me. I have been through two Garrett Pro Pointers and when they work, they are great and the distance seems to perform well. Somehow over time their sensitivity seems to diminish. I have had this same experience with two of them and now on my third. Garrett does support the heck out of their product if you have trouble with them, so I am a faithful customer, especially since mine have taken a lot of abuse at contruction sites and they just plain stand behind their product.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token