Thread: First time out with the Gold Bug Pro

First time out with the Gold Bug Pro

Received the Gold Bug DP Thursday, but finally got out today.
    Got to hunt about an hour before the skies became dark and the rain set in.
    First thoughts were very promising.
    Ground balance is much faster than previous machines I've used.
    Extremely sensitivity to lower conductors like gold and nickels (a plus to me).
    I did several air test using small gold nuggets and found this machine equal to or better than three other machines I've owned at half the cost.
    I know, it might not seem like much, but one of these nickels was totally missed by another detector that cost almost three times as much as the Gold Bug.
    I love the way you can adjust where the low/high tone breaks.
    Stay tuned, more to come.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: First time out with the Gold Bug Pro

I'm kinda partial to the Gold Bug line. I have one of the older 71Khz Gold Bug II's. I use it all the time in the Gold Basin in northwestern Arizona.

It's a bear to ground balance, but is very sensitive to low conductors.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

SECOND TIME OUT

I would like to add to what I have learned since my first post.
    I really like having two headphone options on this machine. As all know in very hot weather a regular, full size, set of headphones adds to the heat factor by a huge margin.
    Using smaller, more compact stereo phones reduces the heat fatigue by a considerable amount, which in turns allows longer hunts in hot weather. One thing I would like to add about the placement of the headphone ports, which created a stress point for me especially when using a wide sweep. I was constantly worrying about bending or breaking the plug on the side of the control box as the headphone cord swung back and forth, but there seems to be no damage.
    One very important thing to mention was the fact that lowering the gain did not change the depth of the machine by much. It did, as expected, reduce the volume of audio response of the deeper targets. But actually stabilized the ID numbers especially if there were other targets in the same area, case in point, I had detected what I believed was a nickel signal (it sounded better than junk) even though the ID numbers would jump from 55-62, I was running with the gain set to 95 (very stable). As I circled, the target the ID numbers were still jumpy, so I began reducing the gain and as I approached the setting of 50, the ID numbers became more constant ranging from 56-59. I dug, a 4” plug and to my amazement was a 1935 Buffalo nickel. After recovery, I checked the hole with my pin pointer and there were small bits of iron in and around the hole. All and all I was very pleased with this find and looking forward to my next hunt.

How does the GB pro do on deep targets? I was told that it doesn't make a high tone sound on real deep good targets. Maybe not a "grunt" like iron, but not the high tone either....kind of an in between sound. Tennessee digger

This thread is from 2 years ago.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    This thread is from 2 years ago.
    oops
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Is this called "necro-poster"?