Thread: Civil War Dog Tag detected

Candidate Member

Civil War Dog Tag detected

My White's XLT meter read 78 “maybe a large cent”, I said to myself. Even though this late 1700's home site had been stingy with giving up colonial artifacts a large cent was recovered a few months ago. The detectors depth meter read one inch so I pin pointed it with my Garrett Pro probe. From the small plug I could see a large cent object. After carefully removing the clinging dirt from the disc all I could see was a large eagle. A little disappointed it wasn't a large cent, I brought the object closer to my eyes to see if I could read what appeared to be lettering above the eagle. “WAR OF 1861” the words rang through my head and a big smile appeared on my face followed by a vocal “WOW”. I knew I had in my hand a Civil War Dog Tag, I immediately turned it over hoping to read the soldiers name hoping it would be a former owner of the property I was detecting on. I could see some lettering but the disc would have to be cleaned a little before I knew more.

The quick ID of the object was possible because about 15 years earlier I had recovered my first Civil War Dog tag followed by lots of Internet research on the subject. A Civil War Dog tag is an identification disc many of which are about the size of a large cent with a pre stamped image on the front with the words WAR OF 1861. On the back of the tag is usually the soldiers name, company, regiment, hometown and state.

After cleaning my new found dog tag , the lettering on the back revealed that the disc belonged to Jacob Irving Whittemore , Company E 15th regiment from Manchester NH. It's so cool to just find out that much. But with some Internet research you can find out so much more. My guy was born Nov 3 1838 to Robert Parker Whittemore and Hannah J Cheney. He enlisted Sept 25 1862 and was mustered in on Oct 15 1862 as a private. He was wounded in the foot May 27 1863 at Port Hudson LA and was mustered out Aug 13 1863. There are even regimental histories on the Internet that tell you when and where the soldier went. I detected the dog tag in East Windsor CT so I plan on trying to find out if he ever lived in that area.

Because of the information that the Civil War Dog tags can lead you to , they are highly collectable with a dollar value from one hundred dollars to thousands depending on the condition and who the dog tag belonged to.

Captain Richard W. Wooley explains the history of Civil War Dog tags in his story Short History of Identification Tags by published in A Quartermaster Professional Bulletin-December 1988
    The following two paragraphs are from it:
    The Civil War provided the first recorded incident of American soldiers making an effort to ensure that their identities would be known should they die on the battlefield. Their methods were varied, and all were taken on a soldier's own initiative. In 1863, prior to the battle of Mine's Run in northern Virginia, General Meade's troops wrote their names and unit designations on paper tags and pinned them to their clothing. Many soldiers took great care to mark all their personal belongings. Some troops fashioned their own ID (identification) tags out of pieces of wood, boring a hole in one end so that they could be worn on a string around the neck.
    The commercial sector saw the demand for an identification method and provided products. Harper's Weekly Magazine advertised Soldier's Pins which could be mail ordered. Made of silver or gold, these pins were inscribed with an individual's name and unit designation. Private vendors who followed troops also offered ornate identification disks for sale just prior to battles. Still, despite the fact that fear of being listed among the unknowns was a real concern among the rank and file, no reference to an official issue of identification tags by the Federal Government exists. (42% of the Civil War dead remain unidentified.)
    I consider this Civil War Dog tag as one of my top ten lifetime finds. I'm thankful we have the Internet to do the research to make it more meaningful.
    Happy Hunting
    Bob Ellis
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Civil War Dog Tag detected

That is one cool find. Even better that you knew what it was. To find out the owners info is also super great.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Bob thats an incredibley personal and historic find it was a real treat to actually hold it in my hands , thanks . great find and thanks for the information that goes along with it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

that's one amazing find! congrats
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Hey Bob, Thanks for bringing the &quotshocked04:g Tag to the Meeting as well as your other Coin. That was the first time I ever saw a Civil War Tag and to tell you the truth, I always wondered how they Identified the soldiers when they died. I'm surprised there hasn't bgeen anymore of these found over the years, or have there ?
    I bet there's even a Website devoted to just Dog Tags of the Military. Besides Historical value and semtimental value, are they highly collectible ? You think the name on the tag just wore off over the years? Anyway, it was nice to see in person. Thanks !
    | Sal
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Wow!! Congratulations Bob... it is worthy to be in your top ten.

Very great find. I truly enjoyed your research and post.
    A fantastic piece of history saved.

Very well done sir.

Definately an incredible find! Congrats!

Now that is a sensational Relic! Even better that you could ID it with personal History behind the item. Big Gratz to ya
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Thats even better than most LC's great job on an amazing find!!!
    Whites Spectrum DFX, Fisher F75

2012 Totals :
    Silver-6(oldest 1737 1 reale)
    Coppers-18(oldest 1724 KGI)
    IH's-7
    Flying Eagle- 1
    V-nickels-2
    2012 Tick count-143