Thread: F2 coil cover?

F2 coil cover?

Is it good to have a coil cover while out detecting? Or is it not needed?

Re: F2 coil cover?

Some kind of protection is always needed. Covers do an excellent job, but over time they collect bits of dirt and minerals that have to be cleaned out or you will start to get falsing.

The other alternative is to coat the bottom and sides of your coil with spray-on truck bed liner material. DupliColor seems to get the best reviews. The downside is it takes time and care to tape the coil, and spraying the coating on is messy and then it has to dry. It nomally takes me a day to do a coil or coils.

Hope that helps.

GL & HH
    Keeping my community clean...one pull tab at a time.
    White's MX3; MineLab 305; Garrett ProPointer; Killer B's; Lesche and Fiskars Tools

Re: F2 coil cover?

To me, a coil cover is a waste of money and sometimes more trouble than it's worth.

If you decide to get one, put marine silicone around the edge to seal it. I once had one that would accumulate water when swinging early in the morning while the dew was still on the grass. Not much, mind you, but enough to drive my detector nuts.

I've put a few miles on coils in some fairly rough terrain and haven't worn one out yet.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.