Thread: 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Thanks to Tim and Tony for the ID on this one. This thing is pretty toasted but my cleaning efforts are starting to reveal some details. I am hoping some more of the stubborn green stuff will peel off yet, without loosing too much of the nice green patina that I can see in some areas. This was found directly under where the sidewalk slab was, about 6 inches down, so it has lived in a very harsh environment for a very long time. The neighborhood where this was found dates to the 1880-90's, so this coin was no doubt very worn when it was lost or may have even been brought in in some fill when the area was build up. I guess I'll never know, but it's amazing to me to think about the history behind this coin and what it's travels must have been to get to where I discovered it. I sure am fortunate to have recovered this huge copper coin, probably one of my favorite coin finds to date since I started in the fall of 2008.

[attachimg=1]
    [attachimg=2]

from www.coinhoarder.ca
    [attachimg=3]
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Re: 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

It sure is a great find, Darren! I can definitely see the results of your cleaning efforts, especially on the obverse.

It is a beautifully designed coin with a lot of interesting symbols on it.

The credit goes to Tim for identifying it, I just agreed with his assertion. thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Re: 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=11747.msg126763#msg126763 date=1352055572
    Thanks to Tim and Tony for the ID on this one. This thing is pretty toasted but my cleaning efforts are starting to reveal some details. I am hoping some more of the stubborn green stuff will peel off yet, without loosing too much of the nice green patina that I can see in some areas. This was found directly under where the sidewalk slab was, about 6 inches down, so it has lived in a very harsh environment for a very long time. The neighborhood where this was found dates to the 1880-90's, so this coin was no doubt very worn when it was lost or may have even been brought in in some fill when the area was build up. I guess I'll never know, but it's amazing to me to think about the history behind this coin and what it's travels must have been to get to where I discovered it. I sure am fortunate to have recovered this huge copper coin, probably one of my favorite coin finds to date since I started in the fall of 2008.

[attachimg=1]
    [attachimg=2]

from www.coinhoarder.ca
    [attachimg=3]
    Milco, Fantastic job on the restoration of this coin! Looks like you found your true calling as a conservator,I'd never believe they were the same.....