Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December Contest- winners announced!

December Contest- winners announced!

Hi everybody! I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season thus far and getting time to get out and hunt.

I have the honor of hosting this month's contest

Guess how many Hotwheels/Tootsie toys/Matchbox cars/etc... I've dug during the past 3+ years that I've been detecting. I'm sure most of you will agree that it's exciting to dig one, especially the older ones. Sometimes it will even make my day if I don't find any silver or gold lol I just have to add that the day that I decided to do this contest I went out for a hunt hoping to find some more to add to my pile and found 3 of them I have never 'hoped' to find any, they've just always been a pleasant surprise.

Okay, on to the official rules:

1. Guess how many toys are in the pile, without going over.

2. One guess per member. All members can participate, including staff.

3. If several members guess the same number, that's alright. I'm not going to go through hassle of requesting people to make another guess- if 3 people guess the correct number, then the 1st person to post (date/time) will win 1st place, the 2nd correct post will win 2nd, etc...

4. Winners will be announced around noon on Christmas Day--- December 25th, 2012.

5. 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners- PM me your addresses and I'll mail your gifts promptly |

6. Good luck!

Tana

[size=24pt]PRIZES

[size=1t]1st place:

[size=1t]2nd place:

[size=1t]3rd place:

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: December Contest!

Thanks for the fun contest, Tana!

My guess is 93.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

After careful consideration and measuring the height and width of the pile my formula tells me that there are 76.

Thanks Tana
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

thanks Tana , now i'm craving chocolate after seeing those pictures of the prizes

i'm going to guess 108 toy cars and thanks for putting on the contest |) |)
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

thanks for the contest my guess is 85
    sarge
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

[size=24pt]59 that's just a guess of course!
    Thanks for the contest Tanacat.
    Wish i would have kept my old yellow race track stuff for hotwheels so i could crash mine into stuff.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Gotta love them match box cars When I dig them up , I laugh and sit back for a moment and reminisce about my childhood
    When I was a young boy I played with all [size=24pt]64 of my match box cars and usually lose one or two in the dry dirt
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Tana nice touch. That's a great Idea. I'm not much Of a toy car man but I did find one a long time ago, Maybe you can tell me how old it is. It's a Tootsie Toy Roadster. Here's a Pic. I'll give my guess when I study your cars a little more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Ok, I'm just gonna just give it a wheelie good try. I'll say [size=24pt]79. Good luck everyone and Thanks Tana for a great Contest Idea. You got it just right, Candy and Coins, a way to a Man's heart.
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

my quess will be 62 dennis

[size=36pt]57 thanks for the contest!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal66 link=topic=12010.msg129258#msg129258 date=1354681049
    Tana nice touch. That's a great Idea. I'm not much Of a toy car man but I did find one a long time ago, Maybe you can tell me how old it is. It's a Tootsie Toy Roadster. Here's a Pic. I'll give my guess when I study your cars a little more.
    Thanks Sal! I think yours is 1950's... here's some info I found on Wikipedia

History

The TootsieToy brand has its origins in a range of miniature cars in the form of charms, pins, cuff links and the like, introduced circa 1901 by the Chicago based Dowst Brothers company. The first actual model car from the company was a 1911 closed limousine which was followed by a 1915 Ford Model T open tourer.

By the early 1920s the name 'tootsie' was being used as a brand name and Tootsietoy was registered as a trade mark in 1924. The 'Tootsie' moniker apparently came from one of the Dowst Brothers' granddaughters, whose name was Toots.[1] Tootsietoy also made metal prizes for Cracker Jack boxes.

Toy construction

By the late 1960s, Tootsietoys were made in both the United States and Hong Kong. Though most Tootsie toys are produced in Asia today, they were traditionally produced in Chicago, and were also made in a few other American factories such as Rockford, Illinois, though Tootsietoy should not be confused with the similar brand Midgetoy which was also made in Rockford.

Tootsietoys were usually simply made - often with only seven parts: a single diecast metal body, two axles, and four wheels. Arms protruding from the underside of the body were pinched around the axles after the wheels were added, which held the wheels in place. Many Tootsietoy cars are still made in this basic manner. Tootsietoy, which is now owned by J. Lloyd International, Inc. is still based in Chicago, makes about 40 million cars per year.

Dowst also owned Strombecker, a popular slot-car producer, during the 1960s. Later plastic as well as diecast toys were identified as Tootsietoy-Strombecker.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=12010.msg129209#msg129209 date=1354649139
    thanks Tana , now i'm craving chocolate after seeing those pictures of the prizes
    lol I had to hide the candy from my kids and hubby. My 4 yr old was begging and drooling while I was taking the pics...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Ill guess my badge number 43. Thanks for hosting the contest.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Veteran Member

i'll say 63
    |
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=12010.msg129297#msg129297 date=1354722465
    Ill guess my badge number 43. Thanks for hosting the contest.
    | 9 would be to low of a guess so I went with my station #57

I'll go with the old price is right move and say 80, sorry Sal.
    Whites XLT, CTX, XP Deus, CZ21, AT Pro

Very cute prizes Tana, 65 is my guess. Thanks |
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12010.msg129199#msg129199 date=1354642598
    Thanks for the fun contest, Tana!

My guess is 93.

There is a finger cross thingy? Where is it?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew