Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

It's a new year, and many of us whose detecting is currently limited by bad weather are quite likely very eager to give our detectors another workout. But until then, how about enjoying the fruits of everyone's 2012 detecting labor?

Each member is encouraged to post their two best finds of 2012 on this thread. Simply post a photo of each find, a brief comment, and if possible, a link to the original post made in 2012.

Yes, it can be hard to choose from the many finds made. But only two selected finds can be posted here by each member, though of course the photo of the find may be part of a group of other finds. Just make sure to indicate which find is being showcased.

A maximum of two photos per member (one for each find) is allowed. Multiple images of the same find can be added to one photo however, to show obverse and reverse of a coin or a relic's detail, for example.

Don't be shy now! This is not a competition. \ We all have made finds we are proud of, so why not share them with others? In the past we haven't had much in the way of participation in these types of threads, but hopefully we can set a new precedent. thumbsup01

Post away!

Re: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Here's my two best of 2012 . A class ring that I was able to return the same day as found in January and my recently found Gold St. George medallion . Both made the banner and the ring made jewelry find of the month for January .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have already shown my best finds in the Coin Shooting section but these are what I consider my two best of 2012. The eagle hat plate is shown restored, the other item is the early shoulder belt plate, made Best Relic for September.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

here are my two picks dennis

This is a great thread already... can't wait to see more. Need to live vicariously through others' finds this time of year
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Great looking stuff so far
    Here are my two, what I consider my better finds. First it would have to be the Civil War Era Pistol (1860-1867) and second my 1852 Half Dime. Happy hunting all for the 2013 season thumbsup01

Just one more Beep!

Lots of amazing finds in the thread so far! |)

Great idea for a thread, I would like to see a post from every member of this forum!

I thought long and hard about it, as it is somewhat difficult to narrow my 2012 finds down to the two best. Eventually I decided on two finds, one that I found at the beginning of the year, and one that I found of the end of the year.

1. My first seated liberty coin ever, the 1877 dime that I found on January 21, 2012. Here is my original report from that hunt:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...p?topic=8661.0

I was so excited to find my first seated coin that I texted Ill Digger, Epi-Hunter, DaddyDigger, and everyone else in my phone contacts, I think! lol

This coin is also pictured in the month of January in the 2013 American Detectorist calendar.

2. Sterling silver Roy Rogers ring from the 1940s that I found on December 11, 2012. Here is my original report from that hunt:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...?topic=12067.0

It was a find that was made extra special because I was on a hunt with several other forum members at the time. (Ill Digger, Silver Star, Tech125, and Ted.)

Perfect bookends for my 2012 season. I had so much fun metal detecting in 2012! I can't wait to see what 2013 brings. thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Veteran Member

Two of my better finds from this year |
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Since my wife and I hunt together I will post my best and her best. Mine is the 1853 Half Dime with Arrows found in a farm field. Her's is the 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent found in a park where an old house once was.

Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Some very incredible finds here. Many I can only dream of getting my coil over in 2013.

Two of my 2012 favorites just happen to come from one hunt back in early April.

Grabbed another Morgan dollar and my first Seated quarter.

I think my two favorite finds for 2012 are two firsts from this past year. My first Civil War store card token and my first Barber quarter.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

I can't even come close to some of those finds but here are my 2 picks:
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

The membership made some great finds last year!

After much deliberation .... my 2 favorite finds from last year is....
    My 1926 Illinois Chauffeurs License.

And my second pick came on a special day!
    My first 2 cent piece!

It just so happened to come on the same day as my first dime grand slam! <: lol

Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Awesome finds everyone! Just awesome! I better keep several more napkins handy. All this drooling is going to cost me a keyboard. lol

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel link=topic=12237.msg131742#msg131742 date=1357925233
    Awesome finds everyone! Just awesome! I better keep several more napkins handy. All this drooling is going to cost me a keyboard. lol
    And where are your two best finds of 2012, mister?

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12237.msg131744#msg131744 date=1357927073
    And where are your two best finds of 2012, mister?

Well, last year I was able to get out to detect only about 33 times, so there aren't many finds to choose from relative to other years. I still made several good finds though. My two favorites are below.

1786 Spanish 2 Reale

1855 Three Cent Piece. Only 139,000 were minted. Finding such a tiny coin was very exciting by itself.

ah angel , i remember the day you got that 2 reale....sigh.......remember i was going to mug you for it ?.
    that truly is a wonderful coin , and it was thanks to that hunt with the master and how he told me to hunt that i began to find so much more.

anyway , i think my best two finds of 2012 are as followed.

1798/99 large cent found at the site of a 1650 tavern .
    1917 standing liberty quarter found whille hunting with chrisinct and bama.

That was a fun day of detecting Lee. We do have to get together again!

Thanks for posting your two excellent finds. The Draped Bust copper is a wonderful find, and the SLQ is lovely. All the beautiful finds posted here are making me want to go out and start chipping away at the icy ground.

You guys have lots of amazing finds!!!! Didn't get out much last year except for my mom's back yard and one other place so here are my two best finds. Almost forgot how to do this it's been so long-lol -1871 California half dollar and 1831 Bust half dime.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

From the land ofthe Bluenose.....wowzer some super finds by the forum mebers. Trust that 2013 will be just as good for everyone! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!