Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Re: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

I'm only putting in one picture this is the 1854 seated dime that was engraved on the back (it was made into a pin)
    i found it in the corn field across from my house. Along with my first large cent an 1849 and my first half dime an 1839
    with a hole in it. But i really like this the best!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Happy New Year all! I've been super busy in the new year. I've hardly had any time to hunt but I have found my first silver of the year a few days ago, a 1940 Mercury dime!

As for 2012? It was tough for me to decide. My first full year of detecting has brought me many nice finds, but I think I have to go with two hunts from early in the year. The first was from my first hunt of 2012. I found the 1974 Yale class ring. I was able to track down the owner who is still the head coach of the Yale fencing team! The ring was bought for him as a gift from several of his students who were on a team that won a championship that year.

The second would have to be my BEST silver day thus far: five in one hunt which included TWO walking liberty halfs! When it rains it pours as they say. lol

I hope everyone has an amazing 2013!!

Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

Hello ALL!

Post our two best finds for 2012 you say... Well... An objective question that will resusult in subjective posts... Depending on who is looking at your finds for the year the results and posts could vary... but I'll have to apply my own bias and preferences for my post on my finds :-)

Overall I had a good year... I had a few first... 2 cent piece (in fact I got 2), a Complete Colonial Buckle, Cap Liberty Copper (recovered 2 of them), and a 2 Reale... My Silver totals were down @ 41 for the year... IH count was fair at 22... 15 Coppers including 2 Cap Liberty's... 30+ nice muskets balls, nice variety of military buttons, 3 pieces of spanish silver (a Two Reale and 2 Half Reales)...

My two favorite (best) finds of 2012 are my 1774 2 Reale and a complete Colonial Buckle...

2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

More eye candy. Thanks for sharing, everyone! It is very much appreciated.

you all have had a great 2012 just from the two finds alone you posted some very amazing detecting eye candy on this thread.

while my two aren't not as eye pleasing as some of the gold bling and silver coins they are pretty special to me...

2012 was a year with limited detecting time and while i made some average usual finds for myself i did find a few firsts and made some incredible discoveries for the Mashantucket Pequot Indian Museum.

the first one was a couple of musket iron lockplates , the most resent word i have on them is they are from the 17th century (1600's) one is from an early flintlock and the other from a matchlock type muskets.also in the same hole was a large sheet of brass from an early trade kettle that was being used to cut brass arrow points from ( sorry not pictured)

heres a picture of them x-rayed

these were not found on the fort battle site but are believed to be from there , the fort site was farm land for a couple of 100 years after the battle in 1637 and relics were found and taken as souvenirs by people and is well documented. The area where these were found was on the edge of an old homestead and the original owner actually owned the land of the battle site as well and less than a mile away. Finding lockplates have always been on my want to find list and getting two of them in the same hole was quite an exciting day for everyone involved.

The second item also from the museum hunts was a huge find for the museum but more so for myself. Its a Brass conical arrow point from a retreating skirmish of that 1637 Pequot War battle , it was lost from one of Captain John Mason's allied Indians . the only second complete one ever found ( two in the recent year ) in the last 80 to 100 years. this arrow point has given more information to the project to study , it is made of very thin brass ( from a trade kettle) and formed around the arrow shaft . they are incredibley hard to find and don't give off a loud signal , this one was at around five inches in very mineralized soil and there was a lot of iron junk (iron nails , .22 and shotgun shell casings ) all around it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Holy cow there are some amazing finds in this thread! I can only post so many green with envy emoticons! lol

I had a pretty good year for what I consider amazing finds, but if I have to pick two I'll go with the two that are the most unique... My honorable mentions would be a beat up 1857 trime, a pristine 1865 two center, a worn 1835 dime, an 1896 S barber dime, and several very nice gold rings. I was tickled pink that a few of these even made the 2013 calendar!

The first of my two best is a perfume locket which according to the marks was made Birmingham, England in 1810. It is gold filled, silver, and gold plate. It's dented and missing a front cover but in my mind it is one amazing find. I would pay all kinds of money to know it's full history and learn how it wound up in the dirt. Researching this item and understanding how it was used and the history of such things was a great deal of fun.

My second would be a 14k Creed crucifix. What makes this one so amazing to me is that a few years ago I dug the same item except in sterling. The sterling version is one of my best detecting stories (posted here: metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=38427 ) so to find the exact same item in 14k really blew my mind. Coincidences and luck and stories like this are some of the best parts of detecting for me.

Here's hoping we all dig some more amazing keepers in 2013!

EDIT: Apologies for missing the part about two pics max.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Copper culture knife blade and gold ring are two of my best.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Ya'll had some great finds! Been fun looking through them! Here are my top 2. Both coins. 1897 full liberty barber quarter and 1921 mercury dime.

Here are my favorite dimes from 2012...
    1894 plain and 1897 S

More excellent finds! You guys had a terrific 2012! Congrats to all! |

can we just keep this thread running all year ? its bloody amazing !!!!! .
    my hero used to be isambard kingdom brunnell , now its all you metal detecting nerds on here .

fantastic finds lads and lasses , thanks for the eye candy to see us over the ground freeze :white:
    and remember......it will soon be summer

It is hard picking out your two favorites. It's like asking which of your children do you love more. The two finds below might not be my prettiest finds of the year but the might be the rarest two finds.

I dug the USA button back in October. I didn't know what I had because I couldn't see what the raised lettering was (need glasses). I shouted out to my buddy I found a strange button, then put it in my pouch and kept detecting. Two minutes later I find a Fugio copper and forget all about the button. At the end of the hunt my buddy says hey let me see that strange button. I can still see his face twist and contort and his eyes get big when he realizes what I had dug. I figured I has found something good at that point.

I dug the Rosa Americana back in the spring. 1723 twopence. Like all dug Rosa's it doesn't fare very well in the ground. I was fortunate to find some real pretty coppers last year but the ugly Rosa sort of stands out.

Lodge Scent
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent link=topic=12237.msg132592#msg132592 date=1359120267
    It is hard picking out your two favorites. It's like asking which of your children do you love more. The two finds below might not be my prettiest finds of the year but the might be the rarest two finds.
    That's part of the fun! Going back on what was found last year helps us recollect the exciting hunts we had as well as again savor the many greats finds that were made.

Thanks for sharing your two excellent finds with us! |

Here are my two best finds of 2012 ! A one OZ silver Eagle and my all time favorite ring a sterling San Quentin State Prison ring . thumbsup01
    HH
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

If not here, strongly don't abuse, but perhaps rare find a helmet of CC

Two Silver Dollars. One in Feb. One in Nov.[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

Bluenoser's albeit a tad late

From the land of the Bluenose.....
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lesl...show/UK%202012
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

messed up here is the photo

< <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Nice Finds everyone! 2012 was a great year!!
    Though not in the greatest condition, I found these two Shillings on the surface at the bottom of an eroding hillside, I'm convinced they came from a cache buried beneath the new fill and landscaping from the house at the top of the hill built in the '70s.
    Have used a gpx on the prop looking for the stash. If there, it is deep.
    Anyway, # 1 is a Noe-1 Pine, fairly common for Mass Silver, judging by the state of the classic 'Fish' die break around the date, this was likely one of the last Noe-1s Struck,

an example showing earlier die state included.

#2 is a Noe-3 Oak, the only variety with 'New England' starting at 2'oclock, this is an R-6 rarity coin with fewer than 30 known examples.

I'm gonna add a third. Undated 400 Reis of Johannes IV Portugal, They were struck between 1640-1654. The dots in the arms of the cross are a Lisbon mintmark.
    (also known as a 'Cruzado', The next series of Cruzados were smaller and struck in gold) This may be a unique coin, there are a few others, all revalued by the next King Alphonse and countermarked 500 Reis. If you had these coins back then, you would certainly want 500 reis rather than the original 400, this is why most were revalued. This particular specimen must have left Portugal prior to the revaluation. Been looking since I found it and find no auction records or any records at all of this issue without the 'SOO' revaluation mark, If anyone can find one, please let me know.
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GtDkqCNs68g/UNhU9_qzWTI/AAAAAAAABOE/kOyjw1miz1o/w300-h288-no/NH+FINDS+01-26+015+copy.jpg[img]

A revalued example:
    [/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GbEHGyy03W8sPO5QN6FlKcstz28hYWkN_41ZEEKHns8=w189-h204-p-no[/img]

Thanks for looking & HH all, Herbie.

Here's the Oak