check this out
    Spectra V3i Intro
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

Re: an updated new V3i is out :huh:

And apparently you have to pay $100 for the upgrade if you bought your machine before Nov 1st.

I'm wondering if the more technical among us could explain how the polar plot would be used? Is it simply strength at that frequency plotted where that VDI lands on the VDI circle? I'm still not sure how that would make ID'ing a target easier -- I guess it is something I'd have to play with.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

I like the ground information in prospecting mode.

I'm very disappointed that they didn't include the long-promised dongle though.

Spanish? I just moved from northwestern Mexico. Nuff said on that one. rofl
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I, for one am very disappointed in White's complete and total failure in the production of the USB Dongle. The V3i is not a new detector by any means. It is a ROM revision, and the fact that they are charging a $100 plus shipping is an outrage. Maybe they should include a free D2 coil with that upgrade since they still continue to fail. I will sell the V3 and buy a E-Trac before I pay Whites another dime for this already very expensive detector. This is not in the spirit of the White's Detectors that has brought this company to where it is today. In my opinion somebody is making some very poor decisions on behalf of the the once proud company. ARE YOU LISTENING WHITES? I encourage you not to waste your money on this upgrade. I would really like to see a response from Whites on these issues as described. I know this is an unexpected rant, but it needed to be said.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Press one for English ............

Yea, that upgrade is getting a lot of hot responses (and not the hot ones White's wished for). lol I think if their machines worked well when they first come out, this would not be an issue. But it seems, too many faulty coils, software issues and the infamous USB Dongle leaks are causing an uproar. Don't leak information that you are not sure is going to be offer soon after. The upgrade has some nice features, but it just seems White's doesn't have it's timeline well established. Iron out the bugs first, make sure the manual is available and correct, and then release your machine. As far as this upgrade is concerned? It should have never been release this soon. From a detectorist point of view, I'd be happy they released it, from a company image point of view....bad timing lol I'm gonna wait it out and see if I can get the V3ixc model7, when it comes out in about 3 months rofl That way I get it all and don't have to suffer through all the changes. thumbsup01 I love you White's but really
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Well said...

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I will sell the V3 and buy a E-Trac before I pay Whites another dime for this already very expensive detector.
    Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    Its just an upgrade thats really not needed.I dont think it will even lower the value of your V3 by not having it.Look on the bright side,they could have slapped on some new stickers and a new coil to get rid of the existing stock and then come out with a complete new model shortly afterwards,like another company.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

I agree with the comments above. I really have no need to send my V (one of the originals) in with $100 so my analyze screen will draw the data in vector format; the threshold & disc are in different ears; and the instructions are in frickin Spanish...BIG DEAL!!!!

In June of '09, a White's distributor (not a dealer, mind you) told me about the much needed dongle, with the expected availability date in September time-frame. I placed my order then, telling him I'd take one sight-unseen. Well, we saw where that one went...NOWHERE.

Regarding the coil issue...
    I've had two bad 10D2's. I won't waste my time hunting the V with one again...the last failure was in the middle of a hunt. My coil of choice for the majority of my hunts is the (V-rated) 6x10DD. The fact that the new V3i has a what coil are you using? feature is crap IMHO. Anyone who knows much about detectors realizes that the only thing such a feature could possibly offer is a slight re-calibration of the depth reading when changing coil diameter. Big Deal!

My V works just fine. Thank You.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Here is the official verbage for the upgrade:

What about my customers who recently bought a V3?
    Customers who purchased a V3 after November 1, 2009 will be able to return their detector to a V3 Upgrade
    Center for a free upgrade. Shipping is $25. Customers who purchased a V3 before November 1, 2009 can
    upgrade at a cost of $99.95 (plus $25 shipping). V3 Upgrade Certificates will be available for customers late-April.

At least White's is offering an upgrade at a reasonable price. No sooner than a month after I bought my Xterra 70, Minelab upgraded the model to an Xterra 705. I'm still waiting for them to offer upgrades to X70 owners.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Well, based on all the complaints about the upgrade, I think in the future White's will follow their competitors and require folks to just buy a whole new detector. People seem to complain less about that.

- Carl

Hello Carl,

I would think you would have a little bit more to say about the issues at hand. What's up with the Dongle? Why the change in policy at Whites? Do you really think a ROM revision is equal to a new detector? There is no other industry with a ROM based product that charges such a high fee for a ROM revision of the exact same equipment. How about at least an honest answer on why the D2 coil is such a problematic coil. Your competitors should be your last concern. You should be worried about your customers. I am a die hard Whites man. What happened here?

Jack

Jack,I may be mistaken and Im sorry if I am,but I dont think your responding to the Carl of Whites detectors.I happen to know Carl is out of the office for the week and doubt if he would be posting on this forum.I think you may have a poser playing on here.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

No, I'm the right Carl... yes, I'm on the road and my response time is limited.

No, I don't think a software upgrade is equal to a new detector, which is why we decided to part with our competitors and not require customers to buy a new detector in order to get the upgrade. Shoot, I thought people would be thrilled to be able to upgrade for $100... maybe I was wrong. It's hard to tell whether we have a handful of vocal forum critics or a widespread backlash, so we'll see how things play out and set future strategy accordingly.

On the D2 (and other V-rated loops as well) we essentially have epoxy issues. One of the purposes of my current travels is to look at new equipment to fix this problem.

- Carl

The upgrade has some nice features,but you wont see my V till the end of fall. Good luck with the trip, the D2 is a hell of a coil when it works like it should.I'd hate to see it go by the wayside.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Thank you Carl for responding. I would like to invite you to share information on the V3 here at your convenience. Accurate information from the right folks is the best answer to the speculative post found on the various forums around the Internet. There is a need for informative input from Whites concerning these issues.

Jack

I too have been a White's man since 1972 until recently. Manufacturing issues have forced me to move to another brand. I have a 6x10 DD coil that I loved, sitting on a shelf. I used it 6 or 7 times in the woods and it just plain died. I payed a lot for that coil and now it's unrepairable. All we want is all manufactures to make a product that is reliable and works when we get it. Costs and other factors are really second. If the machines had just worked from the beginning, this 100 dollar upgrade would have been received well. I personally think it is worth it and has some features I like. I could do with out the babies instructions and multi languages. If it's sold in America, learn the language and for God's sake, read your manual. People are way too lazy. That is just a waste of computer memory. I hope all manufacturers are listening. Company profit is important for the company to exist. But customer happiness and loyalty, are the ultimate survival tools. Just my rant on it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Well, based on all the complaints about the upgrade, I think in the future White's will follow their competitors and require folks to just buy a whole new detector. People seem to complain less about that.

- Carl
    John this is what I was referring to in our PM. The upgrade was a take it or not option. I was hoping in the future upgrades wouldn't require a new detector. Whites hadn't even released the V3i but a couple of I got one already and I'm the first to have the upgrade had to post on another forum. The sad part is Whites gave these guys the upgrade and could have just repaired their V's as V3's.

Now there is a post saying the upgrade require parts and one that says it doesn't. We know they both can't be right. One of the pain in the asses is even using my avatar he stole.

I was lucky to help with this upgrade and thought guys would be happy except for the language thing. It's just my opinion that it is cheaper to make one upgrade not 2 one with and one without the language. Also the memory was there and Carl inferred there would be no further upgrades for the unit so no more memory would be needed. Also like package deals on cars you don't get a car cheaper without the air they just put it in all cars.

Remember I don't speak for Whites and I don't represent them. I just thought the upgrades all worked well. Just my option. Rob
    Advise is cheap, mine is free.
    V3 MXT Mr. Bill IDX

I am most disappointed in this development. I have two Garmin GPS units, and I can get upgrades online, free. This upgrade to the V3 must have been in development for quite some time. This is why I fail to understand the arbitrary date of Nov. 2009 for a free upgrade. I purchased mine in August 2009. So for three months, it costs me an extra $125 bucks. I don't think so. This is the first time White's has ever disappointed me. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

I can understand the cost of shipping, but this is just a Rom upgrade. I jumped on the machine when it was known as the Vision. When I bought my Vision I didn't get a manual or a DVD. I had to deal with 2 defective D2 coils. I was a guinea pig for Whites. Whites was however very responsive and took care of me. I see the V3 as a next generation detector and understand there are going to be growing pains. Now a $100 - $125 is not much compared to the original sum I laid out. I do wish to support Whites, but they need to take in consideration that the current V3 owners have been nothing more than beta testers and deserve this upgrade. I love the V3.

Jack