Thread: nickels vs how hard a site has been hunted

nickels vs how hard a site has been hunted

Has any one else noticed the number of nickels you find vs pennys and other coins, goes way up in heavily hunted places i kind of use it as a gage on how hard a site has been hunted in the past. seems most people skipped them either accidently or on purpose

Re: nickels vs how hard a site has been hunted

yup they are closer to the pulltab range and a lot of hunters will ignore them , except the ones just looking for gold. it is a good indicator on how much a site has been cherry picked over. i use a very similar way to tell if the cellar sites i hunt have been hit very hard.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Good observation, I'm finding there are more people medal detecting than I thought!
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

I ignore nickels unless they are 5" or deeper. That is why I don't find much gold.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Tip from the pros? But shouldn't it just be about discretion? In other words if it's a park then you would ignore nickels/pull tabs as well if there's a spot you have been seeing trash, but old celler holes it's worth digging them up? Granted, yes George, that concept doesn't discredit finding gold rings or jewelry at parks.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Tip from the pros? But shouldn't it just be about discretion? In other words if it's a park then you would ignore nickels/pull tabs as well if there's a spot you have been seeing trash, but old celler holes it's worth digging them up? Granted, yes George, that concept doesn't discredit finding gold rings or jewelry at parks.
    Discretion? Absolutely. For cellar holes it's every non ferrous target gets dug, at least for me it is So I dig them shotgun shells others leave behind. In a park you can choose how much effort it will take to find the ratio of good targets you want. Health issues limit some people to just cherry pick certain targets also. I choose to not concentrate on finding gold, and that is why I only will dig deep targets that may be Buffalo/V nickels or deep gold. I also do not want to dig every beaver tail in the park or every scrap of aluminum foil, so I miss the small gold as well. It's all in what you want to dig and how hard you want to work at it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Ok, that explains the cherry picking. I just figured the same as you thought. Places with fewer people means fewer pieces of trash, therefore dig it up. Doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same. Once you start seeing the jager bottle tops, thats the clue not to dig everything.

i remember that a lot of the older machines disc out nickels a lot more than the new ones do that could explain a lot i know with me i used to ignore niclkel signals a lot for that very reason

Most definitely

Ignore nickels? LOL, I probably should but I can't help myself, I dig everything!
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Ignore nickels? LOL, I probably should but I can't help myself, I dig everything!
    I haven't completely stopped digging iron yet, I'm just knowing now when to ignore. The next task is to eliminate aluminum cans. I might need to use my own yard, bury a few coins as well as a soda can to try and get a more precise number for each coin. The technique used in the manual I have not utilized yet.

"The most common example is that of an aluminum can. It will usually ID as a zinc penny or a dime. And, its large size will give a strong signal, tricking the microprocessor into thinking it's a shallow coin. Here's how to tell the difference.
    Continue to sweep back and forth as you slowly raise the searchcoil higher and higher. If the response diminishes quickly and never gets very broad, the target is probably a coin. If the response diminishes slowly as you raise the searchcoil, and you get a broad response, the target is probably an aluminum can. If you practice this by laying a coin and an aluminum can on the ground, after you've done it several times you'll know the difference, and you'll probably never have to dig another aluminum can again."

WTF.. someone actually reads the manual?

To say the alum can signal is strong is an understatement, first one I ever dug I thought I was digging a leprechauns pot of gold.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Them cans get me a lot too! You think WOW, then you see that whole can and I asked myself, how can a soda can get that deep in the ground? Oy vey!
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

At cellar holes I dig everything that repeats, and some that don't For every nine shot gun shells I'll dig a tombac or something similar. It never turns out to be gold....or nickels Many times those lower signals are the only thing left.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    At cellar holes I dig everything that repeats, and some that don't For every nine shot gun shells I'll dig a tombac or something similar. It never turns out to be gold....or nickels Many times those lower signals are the only thing left.
    You keep digging those low signals at those cellar holes and I believe one day you'll dig a gold coin or ring.

Nickle

WOW i cant believe you guys dont dig nickle signals, every wedding band i have found has been in the nickle range, i buffalo nickles ,v nickles, clad nickles,and hobo nickles.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER View Post
    WOW i cant believe you guys dont dig nickle signals, every wedding band i have found has been in the nickle range, i buffalo nickles ,v nickles, clad nickles,and hobo nickles.
    I have to agree bowser, they are in the nickel range numbers-wise but I can also hear a slight difference from a pulltab (maybe 80% of the time) in my headphones. I'm with you, I dig everything that I think is a nickel.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER View Post
    The Noob here hasn't heard the term hobo nickels before..

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    The Noob here hasn't heard the term hobo nickels before..
    A hobo nickel is usually a buffalo nickel that has been carved to look like a different portrait. Just google it and see the images that come up.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger