Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolutionary War cufflinks??

Re: Revolutionary War cufflinks??

Tanacat Thank You for taking my suggestion into consideration. When I said Auction House, I meant one on those smaller ones like that one on TV called galley 63 . It's a smaller one than the ones in New York and other big cities. A lot of towns have them and use local experts to appraise items like yours. You might have to act like your interested in selling or they might not want to waste their time obviously. Also, I found this button some years ago and called my town Historical Society and they were very helpful, that's why I suggested that idea. They told me it was a post- Commemorative Battle of Waterloo Button an that these type of buttons were popular in those days. I believe the front is silver. They couldn't give me a value because museums don't talk in terms of monetary value, just historical value but the guy I spoke with was very interested and said it was quite rare. I was out detecting with Dan (del) and he said he found one also but just not in the same condition, guess he found the other rare one. So, maybe you have a chance of finding the other one if it exists and the other piece of silver bar which I personally believe is still out there. It looks chopped by a plow, so it must still be out there .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Great find Tana! I'd check the area VERY carefully to see if you can find the mate to it and maybe some other stuff to tie in also. Best of luck this season and HH to all......cia

:O 'Tana, what a great find. You outdid yourself with this one.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by swamp yankee link=topic=12716.msg137044#msg137044 date=1364836336

Great find Tana! I'd check the area VERY carefully to see if you can find the mate to it and maybe some other stuff to tie in also. Best of luck this season and HH to all......cia
    Thanks! Oh yes absolutely, I want to find the mate. I went back a couple days ago to no avail but am determined to find them lol A good challenge! It really seems like a needle in a haystack though :-\ There's so much iron and nails... I've been basically digging everything. They're getting ready to plow again which could harm them but then maybe move them to where I can get a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudder link=topic=12716.msg137107#msg137107 date=1364869724
    :O 'Tana, what a great find. You outdid yourself with this one.
    Thank you I think I'm more excited about this find than my US belt plate I found a couple yrs ago. I think I'll go to our historical society today and see if they know anything about these cufflinks... |
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by Sal66 link=topic=12716.msg136557#msg136557 date=1364286772
    Tanacat Thank You for taking my suggestion into consideration. When I said Auction House, I meant one on those smaller ones like that one on TV called galley 63 . It's a smaller one than the ones in New York and other big cities. A lot of towns have them and use local experts to appraise items like yours. You might have to act like your interested in selling or they might not want to waste their time obviously. Also, I found this button some years ago and called my town Historical Society and they were very helpful, that's why I suggested that idea. They told me it was a post- Commemorative Battle of Waterloo Button an that these type of buttons were popular in those days. I believe the front is silver. They couldn't give me a value because museums don't talk in terms of monetary value, just historical value but the guy I spoke with was very interested and said it was quite rare. I was out detecting with Dan (del) and he said he found one also but just not in the same condition, guess he found the other rare one. So, maybe you have a chance of finding the other one if it exists and the other piece of silver bar which I personally believe is still out there. It looks chopped by a plow, so it must still be out there .
    I think I'll do that today Sal! Wouldn't that be amazing if I found the other halves of both of these Nothin' like a good challenge

Nice button btw!!!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Thanks about my button. I almost feel to my knees when I saw Waterloo June 1815 and the nice picture of the Battle Drum , musical notes, drumsticks and what appears to be arrows. I'm quite sure it's silver as it tarnished yellow which I've seen on older Quarters out of a roll.
    Anyways back to what's more important, your Cufflinks. You don't think their Silver, why ? Have you tried cleaning the piece that connect the main pieces together ? If it was Nickel it would be rusty as heck. I have several Buffalo Nickels I found and their all rusty plus 2 Shield Nickels, same thing. Yours looks Silver. Maybe I'm wrong, did you look with a loop ? If not , put that on your list with the Camera and GPS so you can find the other cufflinks next time. |
    Actually I'm going to IM you about Picture Taking that works for me and I only own a cheap Easyshare C182 ( under $100).
    I'm sure you'll get some answers soon, just be persistent.
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

on the award and a great find. If only our finds could tell a story. WTG

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Tana !! on the find and Relic of the month... Well deserved :-)
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Thanks guys! I believe they are nickel silver... or maybe pewter? VDI on V3i is 15-18. I've been hunting the field for the matching cufflinks, to no avail. Would be AMAZING if I could find them (in one piece) lol like a needle in a haystack...

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Any progress on this? I have found one!

For some reason it keeps failing to upload my pictures...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...arm-finds.html

here is my post on treasurenet
    Last edited by Syclone; 01-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Hello Syclone , welcome to the forum . You can find this cufflink button on this page although you have to scroll a bit more than halfway down to find it . http://www.georgewashingtoninaugural...triot-buttons/
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Fantastic find! Congratulations! My son lives in Berea, Kentucky (near Lexington) and would absolutely love to find something colonial. (hint / hint)
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Fantastic find! Congratulations! My son lives in Berea, Kentucky (near Lexington) and would absolutely love to find something colonial. (hint / hint)
    I just noticed this thread had been bumped from 2013..............Duh!
    XP Deus

What ever happened to Tanacat????
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    What ever happened to Tanacat????
    I am friends with her on Facebook and interact with her often. She is still detecting, and recently she started magnet fishing.

I really miss her presence here on the forum.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I am friends with her on Facebook and interact with her often. She is still detecting, and recently she started magnet fishing.

I really miss her presence here on the forum.
    So do I Tony , so do I .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album