Thread: etrac auto vs manual

etrac auto vs manual

seems like most guys hunt in manual sensitivity mid to upper 20s but every time i do that theres so much chirping and falsing its distracting so i switch back to auto and still seem to lock on to deep stuff without all the distraction what am i missing here on the advantages of manual sometimes i think i should try running manual at a lower setting but that would be like hunting in auto mode any advice?

Re: etrac auto vs manual

What always seems to work best for me was to Auto+3... note the setting then change change to manual and match the Auto+3 number...

I would re-check ocassionally to make sure the gound hadnot changed...

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Elite Member

For me, it depends on the trashyness of the ground, and how much I want to pay attention. As when you have it in manual, you have to pay attention a lot more, and listen through. But my experience is that it is always better in manual, and you pick up more of the iffy sounds and deeper, that you would not otherwise get in auto. Yes you will dig more, but you will also find more
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Mark,

My experiences with sensitivity on the E-Trac were almost exactly like yours. I would read of other E-Trac users having success hunting in manual sensitivity, but when I would try it the extra chirping and falsing would drive me nuts so I would switch back to Auto +3.

Then one day I was hunting at my favorite park where I had found many great coins over a period of several months. I had gridded this park from every conceivable direction and the finds were really becoming few and far between. So I decided to try hunting with my sensitivity set in manual at 27. In short order I found 4 deeper Indian Heads and 2 Barber Dimes in an area that I had gone over many, many times in Auto +3.

That made a believer out of me. From that day on I have hunted with my sensitivity in Manual 27 almost exclusively. Eventually you get used to the extra chirps, and you just ignore the signals that don't repeat.

Yes, you will still find some good, deep targets while hunting in Auto, I certainly did OK in that mode for the first year of owning my E-Trac. But it became clear to me that by hunting in Manual 27 I was finding targets that were just an inch or two deeper. I was missing these targets by hunting in Auto.

My advice would be to hunt in the mode that is most enjoyable for you. If you can't stand the extra chirping and falsing in a high manual sensitivity setting, then you will still find good stuff in Auto. However, you might try forcing yourself to hunt in Manual 27 for a couple of long hunts just to see if you eventually get used to it.

Best of luck!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

that explains a lot tony i was the same way now that i know i will try to use manual more often my hunting parner fred has been using it but i was having trouble like you said you may just have to get used to it thanks dennis

The ground will tell you alot. Around here (NM) most of the areas show a suggested sens of 10 to 15 and I find I have little trouble running 10 or 12 above that. I let the threshold tell me when to back down. If it starts to get too unstable , I back off a bit.
    Auto +3 works works great in areas where depth is not an issue.

My understanding is that it really only affects the reception side of the equation and not the transmission side.

I hunt almost exclusively in Auto +3. I'm dabbled in manual but in most places it is just more chirping than I can handle. I think Tony's advice below is just about perfect:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12737.msg135910#msg135910 date=1363611408

My advice would be to hunt in the mode that is most enjoyable for you. If you can't stand the extra chirping and falsing in a high manual sensitivity setting, then you will still find good stuff in Auto. However, you might try forcing yourself to hunt in Manual 27 for a couple of long hunts just to see if you eventually get used to it.

Best of luck!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

I'll also agree with the Auto +3. I just like to keep it simple. However, after reading Tony's reply I just might try the Manual 27 for the heck of it. If I don't like it, I can always switch it back to Auto.

sounds like good advice from everyone i think i will force myself to hunt in manual more and try and get used to it especially in places i have hunted hard already and the new finds have dried up

In a site that I have exclusive permission on I like to use the auto plus three and cherry pick all easy ones for the first few times im there changing angles an directions from the big coil then going to the 8x6 sef with a wide open screen.

I then would manual same thing then two tone ferrous and that will leave you scratching your head saying how did I miss that