Thread: CSA belt buckles

CSA belt buckles

I was recently told that the story about the several CSA belt buckles that were claimed to be found all in one hole were actually dug from a confederate graveyard. Has anyone else heard this and is it true? Unheard that the fella is facing serious jail time and in my opinion if this is true he deserves it. Its crap like this that ruins it for all of us. I actually have not seen the story printed any where but thought I would ask to see if its true.
    One find at a time.

Re: CSA belt buckles

Nope. This is the first I've heard of it.
    Have you tried Snoops yet?
    I agree if it's true...he deserves the Max!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I have no idea if the rumor is true, but it surely would have been reported in the press if it was.

It reminds me of a short story that I read recently entitled &quotead Confederates by a writer named Ron Rash from his book of short stories called Burning Bright. It's a fictional story about two shady men who make a living from robbing the graves of confederate soldiers. Since most soldiers were buried in uniform, they would steal the buckles, buttons, swords, etc. and sell them. I won't tell you how the story ends in case you want to read it someday, but let's just say that the graverobbers got their just desserts.

So those kinds of stories are out there, whether in fictionalized form or supposedly true rumors. Let's hope that there isn't any truth to them.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

if i remember my history right they were called carpetbaggers they would go to the battlefield and take stuff off the dead solldeirs sounds as bad as that it would take a lot of nerve to do something like that makes you wonder dennis

Elite Member

No, carpetbaggers is a more of a political term referring to the Yankee's who came down south to organize the black political movement right after the Civil War, during so called Re-Construction They werre called Carpet Baggers because their luggage was made from carpet scraps.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12757.msg136146#msg136146 date=1363813040
    It reminds me of a short story that I read recently entitled &quotead Confederates by a writer named Ron Rash from his book of short stories called Burning Bright. It's a fictional story about two shady men who make a living from robbing the graves of confederate soldiers. Since most soldiers were buried in uniform, they would steal the buckles, buttons, swords, etc. and sell them. I won't tell you how the story ends in case you want to read it someday, but let's just say that the graverobbers got their just desserts.
    Thanks Tony- I'm gonna check it out thumbsup01 (literally- if they have it at our library lol )
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP