Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver bar and a 'something'.

Silver bar and a 'something'.

Not sure if this is silver- it looks like it and rings up silver

And this? stretcher: See the horse standing behind them...

Here's the back...

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: Silver bar and a 'something'.

I just noticed that the silver bar has an eagle on it. That is VERY cool! I bet it is silver, it sure looks like it. That's an incredibly interesting item, Tana! 3

And that other item is curious as well. It appears to a child holding some kind of doll or figure that has twisted arms. Rather strange and fascinating!

Great finds, I like 'em! |

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I don't know about that being a doll....I think that the guy sitting down just caught himself a leprechan.

That silver bar is very interesting.

Some very nice finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Tanacat, that is one of the more bizarre whatzits I've seen in a while thumbsup01 I don't see the horse. What are the things I have circled?

Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

A sleigh.

The object on the left is the horse. Lodge Cent has circled its head, front leg, reins, etc. It's almost easier to see the horse on the back side of the object when it's flipped over.

I'm not sure about the round object on the right. Almost looks like a beach ball.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent link=topic=12762.msg136231#msg136231 date=1363905031
    Tanacat, that is one of the more bizarre whatzits I've seen in a while thumbsup01 I don't see the horse. What are the things I have circled?

On the left you have circled is the horse head, front legs and reins --- on the right I'm pretty sure it's the horse's tail...

It's definately an older man struggling with some (mythological?) person/child? It's face is lower left corner of the mask/helmet- his face is facing the old man's face. Whatever it is I think it's stabbing the man in the head, as there's a crack in his skull where the creature's hand is. I'll take a better pic - really hoping someone will know the story. The first thing I thought of was a man fighting sorcery/witchcraft and he's sitting on a huge Bible...

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12762.msg136235#msg136235 date=1363913696
    The object on the left is the horse. Lodge Cent has circled its head, front leg, reins, etc. It's almost easier to see the horse on the back side of the object when it's flipped over.

I'm not sure about the round object on the right. Almost looks like a beach ball.
    lol I didn't see your post before I posted mine
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

The creature/doll/whatever that is obviously being held appears to be the devil on the backside of the coin.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I think aloldstuff is right. It looks like the guy caught a leprechaun. The part thought to be the horse's tail is the rim of the overturned pot. I've enlarged and inverted the color to make it more visible.

Or I'm wrong. That's always a distinct possibilty.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Very cool finds Tanacat! You'll have to test the bar to be sure it's silver, but I think there is a good chance it is. My thought is where is the rest of the bar, or better yet bars? It looks like bullion that has been hit by a plow. So if it is a cache it'd be spread out a lot. Did you hunt a large concentric circle around the find?
    And the whatzit is cool too. I noticed that it is concave on one side. I wonder if it is some kind of candy mold or something?

Adrian

that thingie looks like a mum blowing raspberrys on a childs tummy ( dont know if thats what you call it in the usa )

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac link=topic=12762.msg136261#msg136261 date=1363927767
    I think aloldstuff is right. It looks like the guy caught a leprechaun. The part thought to be the horse's tail is the rim of the overturned pot. I've enlarged and inverted the color to make it more visible.

Or I'm wrong. That's always a distinct possibilty.
    That's neat how you did that to get more detail. Is that typical- that leprechauns escape from a pot? I'll look up leprechaun folklore... love this hobby! Always more to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber link=topic=12762.msg136244#msg136244 date=1363917040
    The creature/doll/whatever that is obviously being held appears to be the devil on the backside of the coin.
    It does look devilish... I def think the man is struggling with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lee link=topic=12762.msg136265#msg136265 date=1363941688
    that thingie looks like a mum blowing raspberrys on a childs tummy ( dont know if thats what you call it in the usa )
    rofl :hysterical:

Quote Originally Posted by freemindstuck link=topic=12762.msg136262#msg136262 date=1363933944
    Very cool finds Tanacat! You'll have to test the bar to be sure it's silver, but I think there is a good chance it is. My thought is where is the rest of the bar, or better yet bars? It looks like bullion that has been hit by a plow. So if it is a cache it'd be spread out a lot. Did you hunt a large concentric circle around the find?
    And the whatzit is cool too. I noticed that it is concave on one side. I wonder if it is some kind of candy mold or something?

Adrian
    Yes I circled the area very well hoping there was more- at least the other part to that one. I wonder how they 'cut' it... it seems torn, not cut. I found these 2 items at same site at house built in 1865. They were found next to the house, not near a field.

The whatzit has a broken piece on the back towards the bottom, like it was apart of a watch cover or piece of jewelry. I'll take a better pic. It's been in oil for a while and I have a better camera.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

make sure its not platinum now that would be something if it was a platinum bar!

Quote Originally Posted by ssserena link=topic=12762.msg136283#msg136283 date=1363965422
    make sure its not platinum now that would be something if it was a platinum bar!
    Now that would be great! I think I remember it was 1.23 oz when I weighed it... it's smaller than it seems but that would be about $2000

How do you check for platinum
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=12762.msg136280#msg136280 date=1363960429
    That's neat how you did that to get more detail. Is that typical- that leprechauns escape from a pot? I'll look up leprechaun folklore... love this hobby! Always more to learn
    If memory serves (which is less and less likely as the years progress) if you catch a leprechaun he has to give you his pot of gold. One of those inverted color pics has what I think looks like coins spilling from the pot.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=12762.msg136284#msg136284 date=1363969080
    Now that would be great! I think I remember it was 1.23 oz when I weighed it... it's smaller than it seems but that would be about $2000

How do you check for platinum
    Here is a link to the test kit that I bought. It'll test for platinum. I believe you scratch a little on the stone. Drop a some acid on it and it shouldn't change. Just don't let your kids get a hold of the test kit to play mad scientist.
    http://www.amazon.com/Testing-Soluti...ting+solutions

Nice finds Little Earth Mother Tana .Once again you have found some cool stuff .I'm thinking that that is a half of a silver bar also . Something about that stamped Eagle looks familiar like it's a mark of a certain bullion company I may have seen before . On the Baby/Leprechaun thingie I think freemindstuck may be right on thinking it's a candy mold .I had to look up what Blowing Rasberries meant for sure ( that one really had me wondering ) . lol Keep up the good

I think the something is Geppetto holding Pinocchio and that is a rocking horse in the background.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Yeah it does look like a rocker. I'm seeing possibly some kind of sled because of that curled part in front like a toboggan . The doll does kinda look like Pinocchio with that long nose.
    I'm kinda more interested in that bar of silver with the Eagle. There could be a Cache nearby. How big is the bar ? It looks real old because of the pitting.
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now