Thread: modified a small shovel

modified a small shovel

I have been wanting a Sampson model 31 t handle for awhile but couldn't afford the price rite now so I decided to make my own got my inspiration from a forum member of another sit he goes by oldsilverdigger.
    Purchased the shovel at Lowes for $10 and used a drimel tool with a metal cutting blade to do all the cuts.
    Took approximately an hour and a half to make from start to finish also used drimel to sharpen all the edges.
    Thanks for reading and look forward to all comments
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: modified a small shovel

Looks pretty wicked and efficient! That thing should dig through just about anything!

Good job!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12768.msg136312#msg136312 date=1363996298
    Looks pretty wicked and efficient! That thing should dig through just about anything!

Good job!
    It digs great the other reason I wanted this was because I walk with a cane which is a pain in the butt to carry while detecting.I can get down on the ground fine but was having a heck of the time getting back to my feet this little shovel doubles as a digger and assisting me in getting back up

pretty nifty dremel work thumbsup01 , i'm curious as to how much it still weighs ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very nice modification! You should send a pic to manufacturer and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=12768.msg136325#msg136325 date=1364010279
    pretty nifty dremel work thumbsup01 , i'm curious as to how much it still weighs ??
    Thanks for the comments everyone

I am not sure of the weight but its pretty lite the total length of it is just under 26 inches and to me it feels lighter then a 20 oz bottle of soda and its much easier then carrying around a Cain

I am going to make another one for my wife for when she starts detecting with me

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by djsmith link=topic=12768.msg136315#msg136315 date=1363999630
    I can get down on the ground fine but was having a heck of the time getting back to my feet this little shovel doubles as a digger and assisting me in getting back up
    I know the feeling, my handle is bent on my shovel from using it to get up...... >

Wanna make me one too
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by djsmith link=topic=12768.msg136315#msg136315 date=1363999630
    It digs great the other reason I wanted this was because I walk with a cane which is a pain in the butt to carry while detecting.I can get down on the ground fine but was having a heck of the time getting back to my feet this little shovel doubles as a digger and assisting me in getting back up

Very nice handy work, and I too know the pain of getting up.

I broke down after bending a $30 shovel getting up, and sprung for a king of spades 3.

Seems to work pretty good for this big old guy.

Good work, John.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

This is a great idea but the shovel has a 25 year warranty, I have exchanged 8 of them because where the handle and the shovel blade meet it was breaking. Other then that its a great woods shovel.
    Primary machine: Fisher F75 SE Black
    Killer B's Camo headphones
    Oldest coin: 1652 Massachusetts pine tree 6 pence

That is a great looking shovel. I just got a dremel for christmas this year and was wondering what I could use it for! I will have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Love all the ingenuity you guys come up with. Shovel does look like the "shark of the woods" !