Thread: Any Pinpointer Recommendations?

Candidate Member

Any Pinpointer Recommendations?

Hey there Guys, I'm still researching metal detectors but I've come to realize that I'm also going to want a pinpointer. I'd sure appreciate any recommendations you can give me on them because I've never used one before.

Thanks in advance. thumbsup01
    "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

Re: Any Pinpointer Recommendations?

When it comes to handheld pinpointers, the Garrett Pro Pointer seems to be very popular. For durability, reliability and cost, it is usually near the top of the list.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

another good one is the Vibraprobe 580 , its also very dependable , waterproof , no on or off buttons/switches to fail or get filled with dirt and it even turns itself off if you forget to.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member

I recommend the Sun Ray inline probe. I have one on each of my detectors that can use them.
    People claim they add weight, which is true, but it's only 10 ounces for the entire unit. If weight is that important, you can still carry the probe in your pouch while you are swinging. I know one guy that hunts with the detector in his right hand and the Sun Ray probe in his left. That way it's always at the ready.
    The Sun Ray inline uses a toggle switch so that the probe is using the same settings as your detector, so you can either use it in discriminate or all metal modes. Also, the sound comes over your headphones/speaker.
    No batteries to buy, since it's powered just like your search coil, and no, it doesn't use any extra power, since your detector is either using the search coil or the probe, but not both at the same time.

I have purchased a Garrett Pro-pointer to use with my TDI, but haven't been home to open the package yet. However, I just finished reading a thread on another forum of unhappy Pro-pointer owners. Apparently there is a high failure rate of the switch. However, just like White's with the Bull's Eye II, they are replacing bad units with new ones regardless of warranty.
    TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV

Thanks for the additional recommendations, del and wrvond. I just wanted to make sure that Route 66 received a response to his question, so I chimed in even though I'm probably not the most qualified to answer. I have never owned or used a handheld pinpointer, I've always used my Sun Ray inline target probe.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Candidate Member

Mentally, I have long ceased differentiating between pin pointers and probes. Which isn't necessarily a good thing.
    I think your recommendation for the Pro-pointer is spot on, Tony. You can't go to a metal detecting website anywhere without reading about the Pro-pointer.
    Of course, the OP could wait a month or two or three to see what new pin pointing wonder White's is unveiling.
    TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV

i use both they each have different abilitys the pro pointer will find anything that is metal the probe may disc out at least that way you can find the target and move on not having to leave metal junk in the ground for the next guy because it may be you dennis

Candidate Member

Thanks for all the replies Guys.

I ended up going with the Garrett Pro Pointer after reading these stellar reviews on Amazon (link below). It seems that you really can't go wrong with this unit. |

http://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Pro-Po...owViewpoints=1
    "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

Good choice. I love mine and won't be without one. I have an e trac and the last thing you need to add to it is more weight.