Thread: What Do You Think of the New White's SST?

Candidate Member

What Do You Think of the New White's SST?

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the new detector from White's called the SST (Sierra Super Trac)?

Maybe you haven't had any actual hands-on experience with it yet, but is it likely to be a good detector based on what you can gather from reading the advertisement for it?

http://ca.whiteselectronics.com/soca.html
    "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

Re: What Do You Think of the New White's SST?

Quote Originally Posted by Route 66 link=topic=12885.msg137278#msg137278 date=1364994251
    I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the new detector from White's called the SST (Sierra Super Trac)?
    I haven't had any experience with it, but it certainly comes with an excellent lineage. The Jeff Foster designed circuitry that evolved the GMT and M6 into the MXT still remains an awesome combination.

The advertised price point ($599) is justified only by the fact that it comes with the best coil that White's ever made, the 6 X 9 DD Eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by Route 66 link=topic=12885.msg137278#msg137278 date=1364994251
    Maybe you haven't had any actual hands-on experience with it yet, but is it likely to be a good detector based on what you can gather from reading the advertisement for it?
    My short answer is Yes.

My long answer is a qualified Yes. In that, it is a dumbed down MXT. I'll ramble a bit here, but please consider my ramblings come from a guy with much MXT experience who plays the MXT like a rock star plays his guitar. lol

Gone is the &quotual Control knob that is the key to Discrimination control and Saturation (mostly a gold search function). Without it, I think a user might get tired of target ID's in the negative VDI range (iron).

The Threshold control also appears to be gone. Advanced MXT users often hunt their machines on the edge of insanity to hear the deep really whispers Unlike Big Foot, whispers really exist, but require a balance of the threshold and the three-function Gain knob.

I haven't seen the operating frequency, but assume it's around 15kHz which gives excellent coin/jewelry response throughout the positive VDI spectrum.

The ground tracking algorithm of the GMT still seems to be intact. That is a critical feature that is necessary in your highly mineralized California soil.

That's my qualified Yes answer. It will, no doubt, be an excellent all-around coin & jewelry machine that will hunt right-outta-the-box.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber link=topic=12885.msg137371#msg137371 date=1365076089
    I haven't had any experience with it, but it certainly comes with an excellent lineage. The Jeff Foster designed circuitry that evolved the GMT and M6 into the MXT still remains an awesome combination.

The advertised price point ($599) is justified only by the fact that it comes with the best coil that White's ever made, the 6 X 9 DD Eclipse.
    My short answer is Yes.

My long answer is a qualified Yes. In that, it is a dumbed down MXT. I'll ramble a bit here, but please consider my ramblings come from a guy with much MXT experience who plays the MXT like a rock star plays his guitar. lol

Gone is the &quotual Control knob that is the key to Discrimination control and Saturation (mostly a gold search function). Without it, I think a user might get tired of target ID's in the negative VDI range (iron).

The Threshold control also appears to be gone. Advanced MXT users often hunt their machines on the edge of insanity to hear the deep really whispers Unlike Big Foot, whispers really exist, but require a balance of the threshold and the three-function Gain knob.

I haven't seen the operating frequency, but assume it's around 15kHz which gives excellent coin/jewelry response throughout the positive VDI spectrum.

The ground tracking algorithm of the GMT still seems to be intact. That is a critical feature that is necessary in your highly mineralized California soil.

That's my qualified Yes answer. It will, no doubt, be an excellent all-around coin & jewelry machine that will hunt right-outta-the-box.
    Thank you for your input John.

I'm afraid that the two passages that I've highlighted above, are too advanced for me to understand though. ::
    "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." - Bob Hope

A short, simple description of the VDI scale is that it is a scale of numbers from -95 to +95. Those numbers represent the composition of the target identified by the discrimination circuitry.

The -95 to 0 targets are mostly iron and/or lead. That part of the scale is favored by relic hunters, but those who hunt coins/jewelry/gold are not interested in that part of the scale.

The 0 to +95 scale is largely favored. Silver resides in the upper (~+75 to + 93), depending on size of the coin. Gold jewelry can be found everywhere on the scale, but the more pure gold jewelry resides from about +4 to +8 (hence the old saying, If it's +8, dig it.)

Nickels generally reside in the mid +20's. Lower carat jewelry (10k for example) can be found between +35 and +55, etc.

I'll send you a little rag I wrote once about the edge of insanity. I've shared it with several folks who have found it interesting.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber link=topic=12885.msg137377#msg137377 date=1365079536
    A short, simple description of the VDI scale is that it is a scale of numbers from -95 to +95. Those numbers represent the composition of the target identified by the discrimination circuitry.

The -95 to 0 targets are mostly iron and/or lead. That part of the scale is favored by relic hunters, but those who hunt coins/jewelry/gold are not interested in that part of the scale.

The 0 to +95 scale is largely favored. Silver resides in the upper (~+75 to + 93), depending on size of the coin. Gold jewelry can be found everywhere on the scale, but the more pure gold jewelry resides from about +4 to +8 (hence the old saying, If it's +8, dig it.)

Nickels generally reside in the mid +20's. Lower carat jewelry (10k for example) can be found between +35 and +55, etc.

I'll send you a little rag I wrote once about the edge of insanity. I've shared it with several folks who have found it interesting.
    Wow, does this information ever help me!!

Now, a lot of the posts I've read here on the forum and found confusing, are making perfect sense to me! <:

Candidate Member

A new video that's just over 3.5 minutes long entitled Sierra Searching System Video has just been added to this link. It explains a little better how to use this machine. The sound could be better but if you turn it up, you can hear what's he's saying.

http://ca.whiteselectronics.com/supertrac.html

I have done some research on the sst and it is a beginner detector and for the same price you can get an M6 which has a lot more features,so i will stay with my M6.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Candidate Member

I think it is overpriced............. With that said I think it is probably quite powerful but it was designed for a purpose.
    Boondocking...... It would drive you nuts in town trying to hunt a park or tot lot.
    White's... Eagle Spectrum, MXT, V3i.

Even the worst day detecting is better than the best day working.

Quote Originally Posted by johnedoe link=topic=12885.msg144357#msg144357 date=1372803938
    I think it is overpriced............. With that said I think it is probably quite powerful but it was designed for a purpose.
    Boondocking...... It would drive you nuts in town trying to hunt a park or tot lot.
    Why will this be? Can you bring some light on this, plz?

Candidate Member

From What I have read about it so far they have eliminated the discrimination feature...... This it would be a VERY noisy machine in a park or tot lot with all the usual trash found in those sites.

Now if your out Boondocking your hunt is very different and all targets are of interest.
    White's... Eagle Spectrum, MXT, V3i.

Even the worst day detecting is better than the best day working.

Quote Originally Posted by johnedoe link=topic=12885.msg144776#msg144776 date=1373374770
    From What I have read about it so far they have eliminated the discrimination feature...... This it would be a VERY noisy machine in a park or tot lot with all the usual trash found in those sites.

Now if your out Boondocking your hunt is very different and all targets are of interest.
    Thanks.

It's a de-featured M6, specially made for Jimmy Sierra, for sale primarily in his territory.

It's been a while since Jimmy prevailed on White's for a Western Region only machine. The previous one I recall was a special chest/waist mounted MXT. The control box/LCD pod assembly was on a harness, and the coil (a 950) was mounted on a straight shaft and featured an extra long cable to reach the control box. There where only a few hundred ever made I think. Not too practical in my mind as the LCD pod was still mounted to the control box and the pin point/alt. mode switch was below the LCD pod as in the stock MXT.
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say, talk in your sleep.