Thread: Tumbling question

Tumbling question

I know this has been asked and answered a thousand times before but....I just got a tumbler yesterday and want to start cleaning years worth of clad to help finance a new detector.

So...what's you formula for tumbling? Vinegar, sand, gravel, baking soda....other things. What works on pennies versus nickels versus dimes & quarters?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Re: Tumbling question

I use fish gravel and dish soap. Do not mix pennies and clad together. The clad comes out pink. Good luck.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I don't use any aggregate, I just put the coins in with a little Dawn dishwashing liquid. It gets them nice and clean, the coins tumbling against each other gets all of the dirt off.

I have tried adding vinegar but I couldn't see that it had any effect.

Like Al said, tumble the pennies separately.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hey BKM. I recently purchased the double tumbler from Harbor Frieght and got the mixture formula from milco (another forum member) and seems to work great.
    We use; 1 cup of aquarium gravel, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, a shot of dish soap, then add tap water to the top of the gravel. I put the pennies in one container and the nickle, dimes and quarters in the other. I run mine about three hours, and some times I have to rinse and run it through a second cleaning, but the results are amazing. Good luck!
    Just one more Beep!

Thanks for the info guys, can't wait to get to it.

Candidate Member

Be careful using that tumbler. It can build up pressure and force the lid open, causing a real mess! That's why I just use water. Also, with the HF tumblers, ensure the drive belt tension is properly set prior to first use, otherwise you'll be having to buy a replacement belt.
    TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV