View Poll Results: what the hell am i doing wrong? anyone from utah want to teach me some stuff

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • what should my sensitivity be?

0 0%
  • i have a minelab safari.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: metal detecting in general

metal detecting in general

Re: metal detecting in general

im still way new to this sight, please help me.

yeah congrats to me for being an idiot on this sight, i was on here before but im still an idiot. my time on here was so brief but thinking this is one of the better sights for metal detecting.

>8) please give me advice on finding old coins or something special. pretty, pretty , please i need to know

hey Jason don't be so hard on yourself , your best chances for old coins is researching where they could be . you have to find places that give you the best chances to find them , after all a park or school they built ten or fifteen years ago isn't really going to produce 50 or 100 year old coins unless they brought in fill-dirt from somewhere else that did. once you find a place your next biggest impact to help your chances is to know your machine well run it at it most maxed out settings ( i have not used the minelabs to help with this part , hopefully someone with experience can help) but still keeping it stable to understand , going slow , being patient . a good recommendation is to join a local detecting club , its a good place to find a hunting buddy and there plenty of experience to talk to .hope some of this helps .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

lol I think the poll turned out great |

I use a White's V3i myself, have never tried a Minelab. I think the key to finding the deeper older stuff is to swing your coil in smaller sweeps, sometimes it takes several sweeps to pick up a good deep signal. I'm talking 2-3 side to side...and even walk in a slow circle in the one area because you get different angles.

I admit I'm bad about this myself- I like to 'go over to that tree' and 'over by that fence will be better'. Like the grass is greener on the other side... lol I've gone back to same sites and found more after I slowed down and listened closely to faint signals (definitely use headphones). After digging all the trash from the higher surface... I found a 1877cc seated dime just sitting next to a porch digging nails and clips of al siding with my pinpointer in a single area - I just sat down like it was an archaeological dig lol I didn't expect that (my first seated)

Dan's advice to join a local club is a great one- you could even start a club! Two of my friends and I started one here in Central Kentucky a few yrs ago. Another great tip is research area by going to historicmapworks.com and look up your county map from 1800's and then compare/find old homesite with google earth or bing ...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Candidate Member

My advice is to start easy. Get to know your machine. The best way to do this is to hit the tot lots. Stop looking for deep coins right away and just learn what signals and sounds buried coins give. The wood chips are great for easy pinpointing and recovery. As you find more clad and build your confidence, you can be looking for places that might hold older coins.
    As mentioned old home locations are great, if you can find them and get permission to hunt them. Another place to look is on the banks of lakes or swimming holes.

TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV