Thread: Good Ol' Two-Cent Park Isn't Hunted Out After All

Good Ol' Two-Cent Park Isn't Hunted Out After All

I put in a full day of metal detecting today. It was partly sunny and in the low 70s and VERY windy. It was nice hunting in short sleeves for a change.

My first stop was at a small park in a tiny town that I had never been to before. At this park I found a 1939 Washington Quarter and a 1901 Indian Head Cent.

The finds quickly dried up at this small park so I decided to head back to Two-Cent Park and see if I could coax any more keepers out of the ground. Since I have hunted this park so heavily I opted to crank my manual sensitivity up to 28 and use Angel's discrimination pattern, which is a lot more open than the pattern I usually use.

Within two minutes I had a deep nickel signal which ended up being a 1906 V Nickel. A good sign of things to come! This park never ceases to amaze me. Granted, I don't find old coins with the same frequency I used to there, but I still always find some nice keepers. Today Two-Cent Park gave me 2 Indian Heads, 7 Wheat Cents, 1 V Nickel and 1 Buffalo Nickel. Just as I was about to call it a day, I got a very iffy signal that wasn't very consistent but it was deep so I decided to dig it. When I got my hole opened up to about 8 deep the target probe was giving me a perfect 11-47 signal at the bottom of the hole. At that point I was 99.9% sure it was going to be a silver quarter. The next scoop of dirt brought up a beautiful 1893-S Barber Quarter! What a way to end the day!

Here are my finds for the day:
    (The 1905 V Nickel and 1940 Merc were from Friday evening after work at the old grade school.)
    Name:  2013.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  103.1 KB

And here are the keepers:
    Name:  Keepers-Obv_zpsb0855659.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  110.4 KBName:  Keepers-Rev_zps8ccc1bd4.jpg
Size:  113.1 KB

And the highlight of my day, the 1893-S Barber Quarter: (Somewhat uncommon date.)
    Name:  BarberQuarterHand-Obv_zpse00ecb60.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  68.2 KBName:  BarberQuarterHand-Rev_zpsede95f45.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  75.7 KB

This elongated cent from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair was a neat find too:
    Name:  IndianVillages-2_zps9d79e522.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  61.2 KB

Here are my relics for the day. I got another small crotal bell, plus some whatzits:
    Name:  Relics-0406_zps8ce29fab.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  CrotalBell_zpsdcbf7953.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-15-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Re: Good Ol' Two-Cent Park Isn't Hunted Out After All

Nice finds! I wish cellar holes gave up as much silver as parks!

those are some real nice oldies Tony..congrats!! that barber quarter is gorgeous ! thanks for showing them.

great hunt and some great finds but i am partial to the barber congrats on a great hunt dennis

Tony, another nice hunt. on the silvers especially that Barber quarter. Isn't it nice to have a go to park. It's been a while since I've dug a crotal bell. Great hunting, wish we had short sleeve weather here.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Holy Cow Tony, you've found some awesome finds this year! Love the IHs, they are in really good shape.. Congrats on the Barber and all your amazing finds!

Top finds, smashed penny and the bell! AWESOME
    Hello Wisconsin!

Your always coming up with the good stuff Tony. That Barber quarter, . How I would love to find one in that shape. Fantastic finds.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Grats Tony on that Barber thumbsup01, I hope to find one someday. Looking like a great year for you!

I would give my left arm for a Barber quarter like that... and my right arm. And maybe a leg. WOW! Congrats on an amazing hunt
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

WOW Tony

Hard to believe you were still able to pull out all that oldie goodness out of the same place! I still remember watching your hunts from there last year.

That semi-key barber quarter is an incredible find! And in what I would say F12 or better grade which makes it even more rare

Once again... Fantastic hunting Tony!!!!! <:

T-CP continues to give you some great keepers. Congrats on squeaking more from the ground.

The '93 S is a true beauty. Gorgeous condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=12938.msg137656#msg137656 date=1365305502
    When I got my hole opened up to about 8 deep the target probe was giving me a perfect 11-47 signal at the bottom of the hole.
    There is nothing better than when the X-1 sings at this depth.

Man! 8/ I can't even keep up with all the good stuff you've been findin!
    And this is from a place you've pounded? :: I'd say keep pounding it then! lol
    Wow! What a hunt! Just a couple of those in one hunt would be special.... but all in one is outstanding!!
    Congrats!!
    Specially on the Barber Q thumbsup01
    Don't ya love the ones on the way back to the car?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

That is a beautiful assortment of old coins Tony! A little bit of everything in that pile. Congrats and I hope you find lots more. I hope we can get together soon. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=12938.msg138040#msg138040 date=1365553822
    That is a beautiful assortment of old coins Tony! A little bit of everything in that pile. Congrats and I hope you find lots more. I hope we can get together soon. HH, Dave.
    Thanks, Dave! It's good to see a post from you and I hope that things are getting back to normal for you and your family. I'm sure that we will get together for some detecting before too long. You know me, I'm pretty much available any time.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tony... Great to see a bunch of keepers still coming out of Two Cent Park... Quarters, Semi-Key Nice Barber, Merc, Indians, V, and a bunch of Wheaties...

Does a Saturday get any better <:

2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

great hunt Tony and a very nice barber,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

WTG Tony that quarter is a beauty, congrats on the nice digs

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber