Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding the deep target.

Finding the deep target.

If the deep targets are all that you are interested in finding. How do you go about it? Do you hunt in all metal mode? Do you just focus on faint signals? Are you using tone I.D.? Do you discriminate out everything, except coins? Please tell us how you search for and find the deep targets.

Re: Finding the deep target.

I'd buy an E-Trac. But seriously, it depends on how your detector can be set up. Do you have tone variability? Do you have a depth guage? What do you consider deep? Do you listen for threshold bumps? How about bouncy VDI's? A combination of these? What size coil are you using?

Compass - My dad's old 1970's unit. Never could find anything deeper than 5 with it except for that 55 gallon drum. Still found some nice stuff though.

MXT - I dug flaky VDI's and whisper targets. Doing that netted me three wheats in one hole at 9.5 a few years back and an 8 Barber dime earlier this year (you were there for that one).

DFX - I never could find anything deep with my DFX. Deep in this case meaning over 6. It didn't matter how I configured it. Oklahoma soil & EMI > DFX.

E-Trac - Every target so far has been pretty easily identified. I have dug several coins at 8 so far and they sounded great most of the time. I dug one silver ring at close to 10 or there abouts and it also came in fairly clear. I haven't found the depth limitation on it yet. As far as how I determine depth on it, I can hear it in the sound variability of the tone when I detect it, but especially when I pinpoint it. I also use the depth guage, but it isn't 100% correct all the time.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Like Okie said, the ability to utilize your machine's depth capabilities will depend on settings, as well as soil conditions.

I don't hunt in all metal, though I will occasionally do so at large open fields and meadows. I do get plenty of depth with the E-Trac while using a discrimination pattern. Depth, however, is not what I am primarily interested in. I find most coins will be within the depth capabilities of most detectors. I like to work trashy parks, areas others tend to give up on. The E-Trac excels at such areas. That's where you can pull some really good stuff. For those who are not used to using variable tones, hunting in such areas may drive them batty.

Back to depth though, when I used to work the DFX at parks, listening for the very faint signals required concentration and careful hearing. The E-Trac has made that much easier, raising the listening for 'faint' signals' to a different level. If I hear a 'crackle' I will investigate it, sweeping over the target from various angles, noting signal consistency, Fe and Co variance, if it pinpoints where the discriminator is indicating the target should be, listening for tone variance and quality. Experience here can be very important.

Talking about it now makes me want to go detecting.

I have yet to get a whisper tone on my Sov. I can pretty well estimate depth based on the volume and size of the signal. I get plenty of faint tones for targets that are deep - by which I mean 6 or below. But even though they are faint they are still pretty clear. I am often tripped up by less consistent faint tones which usually prove to be deep rusty nail - except one time when digging this sort of signal I got a silver quarter at what must have been a good 9 or 10 inches.

I try to dig everything, or at least as much as I can stand. Sadly, I am the guy Angel refers to who gives up on trashy sites. I'm hoping to get myself past this.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

The reason for this post in the first place was because I came across this article. Digging the Deep Coins - Flying Blind. It's a good read. Here's the link http://www.njminerals.org/metaldetecting-deepcoins.html I still would like to know your tips and techniques for finding the deep coins and what works for you and your machine.

Nice article. Written from the perspective of using a knob detector without depth meter, target ID, discrimination, etc. Looks like he is a Tesoro fan too.

a purely knob-type machine in the hands of a pro will often beat the latest target ID technology in the hands of a neophyte.

True... but what happens when you put the latest technology in the hands of a pro?

My point is that his definition of 'iffy' signal and 'iffier' signals will depend on the machine he's using. His 'iffy' signal for the barber dime he dug at 9 inches might not be considered such by an experienced detectorist using a different machine. But I guess that no matter how you define it, there are always 'iffy' signals.

To me, he is basically saying that you should dig every deep target, every 'iffy' signal that is not clearly an oversized target or large iron, or else you will be missing coins. I agree that is true, but it isn't always practical. So relying on discrimination, indicators of depth, signal strength from various directions, etc gives as much information as possible to make that decision when you don't want to, or can't, dig every signal.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I read the article. Are you sure he's not trying to sell you a Tesoro?

I think he uses a lot of the techniques that many of us use for deeper coins. I used many of those while hunting with the MXT because it's a single tone (or two tone in Relic mode) detector. Here's my beef with the article though. I know he's saying learn your machine and that you can do great with a not so fancy detector. That's fine and dandy. I did very well with my MXT and it wasn't very fancy either. Just some knobs and a little LCD screen. Then I bought the E-Trac. Pretty fancy machine. Goes deeper than the MXT. Signals that were iffy on the MXT became very clear on the E-Trac. I employed some of the same techniques and learned some new ones that are specific to the E-Trac. And that's kind of my point. While there are techniques to digging deeper coins that span all detectors, there are a lot that have to be learned for each specific detector. And while many people say the detectorist is the most important factor in finding deep coins, there are two other VERY important factors. Location and detector. Contrary to what some people want you to believe, not all machines are created equal. Not all machines will find a 9 deep Barber dime no matter how well you learn it. And not every park has 9 deep Barber dimes. If you're out to find deep coins, then my suggestion is to buy a detector proven to find them at depths you're comfortable with and learn that machine well. And if you don't find that 9 Barber dime in your local park, there's a good chance it was never there to begin with. The fun is in the search though. And while my park doesn't have any deep coins in it, I continue to try when I have no where else to go.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Excellent post Okie. Words to live by.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

They pretty much said it all thumbsup01 Finding the deepest good targets for me has always been using the latest technology. You take a beating on depth first off. Since I got my E Trac, my depth for coins has ranged from 5 (maximum) to 12 (maximum). Why the difference Had to re-learn a completely different machine. Time put into the field + A very capable detector = deep targets. It's a gamble we take everytime a new machine comes out. Just look at the V3. I would love to dabble on that one. They say it's an out of the box machine, but I think for me it would take about a year to get the program that I would probably base all later adjustments on. A great machine Probably, in the right hands, with lots and lots of hours of trial and error. So you take your lumps at first, but after a year, you may have the only machine out there that can find that Barber at 11. So pick a capable machine, and make it your second wife
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    and make it your second wife
    I'm not even going to comment

Well said! And Dale, you said what I was trying to say, only about a thousand times better
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

So that's it? Three simple steps to finding deep coins. Experiance, Quality machine and of course Location.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves Kansas View Post
    So that's it? Three simple steps to finding deep coins. Experiance, Quality machine and of course Location.
    Yep, Pretty much!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That sums it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves Kansas View Post
    I don't know, I think dig it all might outweigh all three sometimes...
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    I've got $20 that says while you're busy digging it all, I'll be finding more silver by saving time skipping all that junk.

Yeah, I don't think I want to spend a year in one park. The ground here has so much junk in it it's not real. Clear ground is rare (and small in size). I typically get one to two iron nulls PER SWING. There are patches that are constant null. Then of course there are the sites that are full of aluminum foil with the iron.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    I've got $20 that says while you're busy digging it all, I'll be finding more silver by saving time skipping all that junk.
    Most of the time, sure, but not at a site that's been hunted a million times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I want to spend a year in one park. The ground here has so much junk in it it's not real. Clear ground is rare (and small in size). I typically get one to two iron nulls PER SWING. There are patches that are constant null. Then of course there are the sites that are full of aluminum foil with the iron.
    Like I said... sometimes.

All I know is the more I dig the more good finds I make. I'm constantly surprised by the good things that pop up that I was certain were junk before I dug. Maybe my detector is not as good as some or maybe I just don't know how to use it... But as much as I can I like to think dig it all. Not always easy and not always realistic, I know.

I swing the DFX like you, DK, but when I first started out, and for seven years to follow, I was using the factory pre-set Coins program without any adjustments being made.
    Then my boss (a Labbie) asked me if I had Tone ID. From then on, I was in heaven, being able to recognize what my signals were.
    And then (just this summer) I started to up my Pre-Amp Gain to max (4), and have been getting sigs between 8 & 16 inches (before, they were around 6 to 8 inches).
    Now, I gotta go everywhere I've already been.

Like I said... sometimes.

All I know is the more I dig the more good finds I make. I'm constantly surprised by the good things that pop up that I was certain were junk before I dug. Maybe my detector is not as good as some or maybe I just don't know how to use it... But as much as I can I like to think dig it all. Not always easy and not always realistic, I know.
    In my heart I'm a dig it all kind of guy. That's one reason I love my MXT so much. With my E-Trac I specifically focus on finding coins and only coins. That doesn't mean I won't dig the off signal every now and then. When I feel like digging it all, I'll use the MXT. Please don't take my post as an E-Trac is better post. That's not the meaning I'm trying to relate.