Thread: Stunning Hunt I Won't Soon Forget!

Stunning Hunt I Won't Soon Forget!

I was not able to get out Friday evening or at all on Saturday this weekend, but I had Sunday free for some good swing time. I headed off to the same spot I hunted last weekend that gave up two Barber dimes, two Mercs, and 5 Buffs. I was actually planning on letting this spot sit for a while before I hunted it again, but the more I thought about it, the dumber that seemed. So I headed back this morning with hopes for at least one more silver.

Things started pretty slow, but before long I had a few wheats and another Buff. And then it happened. I one of those sweet high tones that is likely a deep rusty nail. In fact, I was 99% certain it was a rusty nail. But I dug anyway because you never know. I flipped the plug and scanned it and sure enough it nulled and using the Propointer I recovered the nail. I flipped the plug back into the hole, stood up, and rescanned. That bogus high tone from a rusty nail was still there. Annoyed, I pulled the plug again, and using the Propointer found a second nail. This time I rescanned the plug before putting it back. Nothing. I waved the coil over the hole. There was a nice high tone... probably another nail, but it sounded pretty good. I dug some more dirt out of the hole and there it was... a silver quarter. And not just any kind of quarter, it was a BARBER! My first Barber quarter! This coin has been at the top of my most wanted list for a long, long time! And there it was! And coincidentally my 300th career silver coin! I savored the moment as much as I could. It was great! The quarter is worn but I'm still happy as can be... I even kept the two nails!

I'm not sure what kind of coin to hope for next to scratch off the list... seated quarter I guess.

I hunted for a few hours more after that... I pulled a nice 1898 IH penny, and several more Buffs. I hit a horrendous tone at one point, pulled a plug, and found a pull tab. I knew there must be something else as no pull tab gives a tone like that! So I rescanned the hole and sure enough there was a nice '42 quarter.

A while later I got a nice deep target and pulled the most pristine Merc I have ever dug. It's a 1936 and it is absolutely immaculate. I can hardly believe it to look at this thing.

Another Buff or two and finally a nice silver war nickel and I wrapped things up. It was cold but nice out and I would have stayed forever if not for getting pretty tired and I wanting to get home to the family.

All in all I dug 91 coins which includes the the two silver quarters, the Merc, 6 Buffs, two older Jefferson nickels, the war nickel, 11 wheats, and the Indian head. I also got a old buckle and a Junior Air Warden badge which sadly broke as I was recovering it. Amazing, all 6 Buffalo nickels have legible dates!

I have to assume this spot was hunted in the past. I'm sure there's still more there though. One way or another this was not a hunt I will soon forget.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attached Images Attached Images         
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Stunning Hunt I Won't Soon Forget!

Here's some close ups of the dime!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Super on silver #300 and for scratching off the Barber quarter from the hit list. 6 dated buffalos, fantastic. I can't seem to find even a datless one. Your 1936 merc looks just great, dropped the day it was minted.

You sure had a very productive hunt and congrats on all those keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Fantastic hunt and that Merc is a beauty, WTG |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Zman i cant believe you were gonna let that location rest before going back? lol!! i'm glad you didnt! awesome keepers buddy..gotta love that barber Q and that pristine merc! the buffs are amazing to have the dates on them. and the IH and the other GW..wow what a hunt.

good job, and hit that place again hard ...never know if that seated Q isnt waiting for ya!!

heck of great day!
    The best treasures are the lasting friendships we make.[img width=47 height=70]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/Detecting%20finds/0439c987.jpg[/img] using V3i, IDX Pro, Coinmaster Pro, Surf PI Pro DF mod, Sov GT, Excalibur 2, Fisher CZ 21, Garrett AT Pro - I'm ready! Where shall we go?

|) |) |)

I'm speechless!

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Now that's an incredible hunt!

Congrats on your first Barber Quarter, Matt! They don't turn up too often. How cool that your 300th silver was a Barber Quarter?!

That Mercury Dime is a real beauty too! One of the nicest dug Mercs that I've ever seen!

You are definitely tuned in to the nickel signals! Wow, 6 buffalos in one hunt, plus a War Nickel and some older Jeffersons.

Congrats on the spectacular day! |
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Unreal nickle finds ive dug thousands apon thousands of hole and have never gotten a buffalo or a silver war nickle.You are blessed with nickle finding skills keep up the good work.

What finds. Love that Barber quarter. Congrats on your first. Lots of great finds.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

What a hunt!! It doesn't seem to me. That this spot has been hunted. If it has. I pity the fool that hunted it! on some great keepers!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm