Thread: which one of the 2 is the proper way to ground balance the etrac?

which one of the 2 is the proper way to ground balance the etrac?

Ive seen 2 people ground balance there etrac 2 different ways.The first guy raised the coil exactly 1 foot above the ground and waits for the screen to say channel whatever!The other local guy pushes the same button but pumps up and down up and down until the channel whatever screen appears.Which way is right?And also im wondering if i raise the coil a tad higher in the 45 second ground balancing to maybe 18 inches instead of 12 inches i might possible get a little deeper to find those indians...Its a good question and wonder!Makes sense higher ground balance deeper coins.

Re: which one of the 2 is the proper way to ground balance the etrac?

read the manual! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

I have seen another e-trac user push the ground bal. button and swing while he's walking to a spot.

The E-Trac has auto ground balancing. It does not require any manual ground balancing from the user. All you need to do to ground balance the E-Trac is to start hunting with it.

What you're talking about is Noise Cancel. This needs to be done only if you are experiencing EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) due to nearby power lines, transformers, etc.

To perform a Noise Cancel on the E-Trac you hold the coil level 12 above the ground and push the Noise Cancel button. Do not pump the coil up and down. It takes the E-Trac approximately 20 seconds to select the channel that has the least EMI.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great answer Tony! This is one of the things I love about the E-Trac. It just seems to lock on with the first swing. Coming from a long history of using detectors in which ground balancing was a critical step, and then re-checking continually to make sure I was still in balance, the ET was a fresh breath of air. Now I just focus on consistent hits irregardless of where it falls on the visual readout. Dig it all for awhile and see what comes out of the ground. Your bringing up some very good questions about the ET ssserena. I would suggest to all those with experience using this detector to take advantage of the learning process that we all go through. The journey ssserena is on, is one we have all traveled, and it deserves educated answers, and respect.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

respect what do you mean?

The pumping up and down method refers to ground balance that I've seen for many of the older White's machines. They had to be manually balanced. I have also heard two ways of doing the noise cancel hovering at 12 or setting the coil flat on the ground. I always hover. But I hardly ever have to do a noise cancel. Sometimes the cause of the EMI will stop and you can crank it back up. You just need to check every so often.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

ok it is my understanding that the reason for pumping the coil up and down is that it increases the auto sens a couple of numbers. I think that Andy sab developed this method. I believe its even on you tube.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1147SILVER link=topic=13133.msg141549#msg141549 date=1369355335
    ok it is my understanding that the reason for pumping the coil up and down is that it increases the auto sens a couple of numbers. I think that Andy sab developed this method. I believe its even on you tube.

Steve
    I thought the pumping of the coil was done after the noise cancel. I think the reasoning was that the e trac takes a while to scan the ground and adjust itself to the maximum sensitivity (when in auto). The pumping of the coil seems to quicken the time it takes to adjust itself for maximum auto sensitivity.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold