Thread: Revolutionary War Sword Hanger

Revolutionary War Sword Hanger

Went out for a short hunt and I got a signal that sounded so sweet, I really thought it was gold, so I dug o so carefully,inch by inch, a foot down and nothing, another inch and there it was in the bottom of the hole. My blood was pumping! I tried to hunt, dug another target or two but had to take my treasure home, that was over a week ago and I'm still pumped over this extremely rare, extremely historical find! Some rattle head, nay-sayer will probably try to kick it back in the dirt not knowing the history of America but all is good.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Re: Revolutionary War Sword Hanger

sweet bridle gag loop!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

That is a very nice gag loop. I've found several very similar at non military sites. They always sound real nice when your coil passes over them! That one has a nice patina.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

It's a real neat find ether way,gag runner or sword hanger what ever you choose to call it. I cannot see something so small and frail responsible for the control and safety of a ton or two of powerful animals. Making a team of horses stop by pulling there head back is a great deal of force, especially after saying gitty-up gitty-up lets go, or if startled, look at the gag chains. It's so hard to put a positive ID on the thing because of it's age and rareness. There are lots of gag runners that could be similar to the thing, just that they are so much more of a heavier construction, and they are all modern day and the use of the sword in battle went out after the indian wars and even then they had swivel hooks in the 1800s. Like the commercial on tv about the french actor, you cannot trust the internet. It is real easy to find authentic pictures of gag runners in use or in leather shops, I will post them but it's so hard to find anything from the 1700-1800s. This sword hanger should not be mixed in with the gag runners that so many of you are use to seeing. This was made for man so he could take a piece of raw-hide and tie his sword back before swivel hooks were used. Enjoy the hobby and don't trash any historical buttons.

Gag runner in action

HEAVY HORSE PULLRunaway at Draft Horse PullDraft Horse Pull false start with extra finishHEAVY HORSE PULL ,THE NITTY GRITTY!HEAVY HORSE FINAL

Attached Images Attached Images    

Scott! I'm glad you are back at it. I found one of those things, I have it in my really cool but I don't know what the heck it is box. I'm doing short afternoon hunts after work if you want to get together again.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Scott these gag loops were made to serve their purpose.they didn't need to be made heavy duty.
    http://www.findmall.com/read.php?40,1682452
    sword hangers look different than a gag loop.I know you've taken some heat over this post but sometimes we want stuff to be military .when in reality it's not. it is a historical piece to some extent but that old saying applies it is what it is when i dug mine my 1st thought was sword hanger! then reality set in.i;ve only dug one and it sits proudly in my display case as they are not an everyday find like oxknobs or ox shoes.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers