Thread: Suggestions for detecting around Shepherdstown/Sharpsburg/Harper's Ferry, WV

Suggestions for detecting around Shepherdstown/Sharpsburg/Harper's Ferry, WV

Hey Gang,

Long time lurker here, enjoying all the helpful info and experience. Now I'm hoping y'all might have some suggestions for me...

I will be travelling to West Virginia next month for about a week and would like to get some detecting in while I'm there. I'll be near many of the great Civil War sites and would love to do some digging. I know of the federal park/site restrictions and am aware it's a very picked-over area. However, I'd love to try the experience and am looking for suggestions on locations that are ok to detect at. If you know of (and are willing to share) any areas that are open to detecting or know of any landowners that are friendly to MDers, I'd appreciate it. Also, any insight on laws regarding detecting waterways in WV/MD would be helpful.

Thanks again!!

Re: Suggestions for detecting around Shepherdstown/Sharpsburg/Harper's Ferry, WV

Bump**

Re: Suggestions for detecting around Shepherdstown/Sharpsburg/Harper's Ferry, WV

ATDigger , I know of only one or two members here from Virginia and is probably why theres not a lot of resposes to this post. I myself am not familiar with the laws of Virginia and West Virginia regarding metal detecting . Once you get down there and back please let the forum members know about any restrictions and rules that you had to work with.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan. I'll be sure to do that.

Candidate Member

I don't spend a lot of time on the east side of the state, but, if you can make it to Droop Mountain, that's about the most popular spot anywhere near where you are going. The only restrictions, other than private property, are state parks. You have to have written permission from the commissioner of parks to hunt them, and that isn't something that's going to happen.
    TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, BHID, Surf P.I. (Plus), Prizm IV

Hi,
    I'm from No. Va., about an hour from Harper's Ferry. I've never done any digging in that area and can't really help you with sure sites. The area is very mountainous and wooded (it's at the confluence of 2 major rivers). You don't have to go very far to find open spaces, though, and might want to try some door knocking. As you said, though, the area has probably been picked over pretty well. Good luck, keep us posted.