Thread: Another Good Digging Tool

Another Good Digging Tool

This is the Ames Plantar's Pal. Cuts a super clean plug in lawns when neatness counts. I feel the Leshe tears the ground more. Has a nice cutting edge for roots and has hatch marks on the blade and handle to measure the depth of your find, up up 11 inches. Has been my go to digger for a year now and at 10 bucks (Home Depot) can't beat the price.

Here the link for more info: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-Plan...0#.UYvXIb9JX8Y
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

Re: Another Good Digging Tool

I'm still using my Whites digger that fell off my bumper and got ran over! A little twisted but I can't part with it yet.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Gotta keep that one, fell off bumper, got run over and found its way back to you |

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve link=topic=13268.msg140651#msg140651 date=1368129004
    I'm still using my Whites digger that fell off my bumper and got ran over! A little twisted but I can't part with it yet.
    Steve...I just noticed your avatar. It's the best one I've ever seen.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by mike l link=topic=13268.msg140645#msg140645 date=1368120060
    I feel the Lesche tears the ground more.
    I love my Lesche, but I have noticed that as well, it does really tear up the ground. The plugs it makes don't have a clean edge.

I used to dig with a butcher knife. It made really clean plugs with nice edges, but I quickly decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to be wielding a butcher knife in public parks.

I might have to give this Ames digger a try.

(My first summer job in 1981 was working for the Ames company at one of their facilities that makes wooden handles for their shovels and rakes.)
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13268.msg140692#msg140692 date=1368189051
    I love my Lesche, but I have noticed that as well, it does really tear up the ground. The plugs it makes don't have a clean edge.

I used to dig with a butcher knife. It made really clean plugs with nice edges, but I quickly decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to be wielding a butcher knife in public parks.

I might have to give this Ames digger a try.

(My first summer job in 1981 was working for the Ames company at one of their facilities that makes wooden handles for their shovels and rakes.)
    Yea, a butcher knife in a public park might not go over too well lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber link=topic=13268.msg140683#msg140683 date=1368183878
    Steve...I just noticed your avatar. It's the best one I've ever seen.
    Thanks John! The avatar says it all
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13268.msg140692#msg140692 date=1368189051
    I used to dig with a butcher knife.
    <}....I would be afraid to let you come anywhere near my house to detect with that

talk about having the police stopping you lol
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I had one like this and liked it, until I bought a lesche. I will never use another type of digger than a lesche, it cuts ground like butter.
    WHITES DFX

Blog Entries

My son used to work for Scott's Lawn Service. He gave me a REALLY high quality sod knife that all of the Scott's techs use. MAN... it cuts super clean plugs and its super high quality.
    He's never going to get it back from me.... lol
    Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero & Silver uMax.

I worked at a golf course when I was in college. I always wanted to get a cup cutter for detecting lawns and parks but man that would be big and awkward to carry

Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    My son used to work for Scott's Lawn Service. He gave me a REALLY high quality sod knife that all of the Scott's techs use. MAN... it cuts super clean plugs and its super high quality.
    He's never going to get it back from me.... lol
    Can you post up a pic. of the sod knife?

Thanks
    Minelab Safari