Thread: Detected 1731 House in CT

Detected 1731 House in CT

Got up early this morning and headed out with a friend to detect around a per-revolutionary war house in town that I got permission to hunt a couple of weeks ago. The day started out great when I got my first silver rosie dime, then not too much for a while till we moved to the old home dump area, there we hit a treasure trove! First find in this area was the sash pin (?) which I had to dig in some sludgy water for, I was still getting a signal in the water so I kept digging/sloshing and came up with the little alligator and lilly pad which I believe were part of the pin originally. I eventually found my way over to a great signal and dug an antique (not sure of date) button with a saint bernard head, still getting a signal in the hole, I dug some more and came up with a second one! <: Out of the same hole came a third button but this one was a 19th century Commedia dell' Arte Button of Pierrot and Pierrette and a cold painted pot metal stump inkwell with the glass insert still inside! Seems the dirt was the only thing holding the lid on the inkwell and once I started cleaning it the lid disconnected and I then noticed part of the back was missing :-\ Found some buckles, a toy deputy sheriff's badge in pretty bad shape, insides to a harmonica, a rusted pocket watch and a fishing weight!
    All in all, a good day!
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    minelab e-trac, whites xlt, deeptech vista gold, troy shadow x2, white's TDI SL, garrett pro pointer

Re: Detected 1731 House in CT

awesome stuff stacey! can't wait till ya get into the colonial layers of dirt!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

yeah older homes look so good to detect but most have brough in fill dirt over the years and with many types of renovations or upkeep to them old places , they can be very disappointing with all the trash. keys areas to look at are where the roots of the older trees are if they are standing out of the ground then the older stuff might not be too deep. also if there is signs of fill then the edges of the yard might be productive . its sound like you did very well Stacey and got some cool keepers. congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great stuff Stacey!! I love your enthusiasm for this hobby, seldom found in girls like us - especially exemplified with your sloshing around in water to find those buttons!

Great finds and keep at it - love your posts
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Elite Member

T a cool ink well thumbsup01

The older homes are hit or miss...you can get NOTHING >:#...or be pulling great things out one after another...something I don't understand ...you know it's there.....just a matter of getting to it >{
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Some nice lookin' finds That inkwell stump is very cool.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Really nice and different finds. That inkwell is wicked lol I wanna see what else you get there.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Great Ink Well Stace. The next time your there, ask the homeowner if they did any excavating or if they know where any fill was put in. That's always the 1st question I ask when hunting a home
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee