Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Site a Charm

Third Site a Charm

What a great day to be out detecting!! <: No bugs!! No heat!! Cool breeze....and some keepers. Doesn't get any better

Site 1 Half mile hike down a hill, couldn't find hole. Half mile hike up the hill (singing songs and banging on rocks because of Todd and Dave's bear adventure)

Site 2 Find hole on State property. It is actively being logged....men there working.

Site 3 Park car at hole I hit last year and walk away to look for other holes. I found a small pit with rocks in it, and building nails. Only three targets to dig amongst the iron. A dateless CT copper, a sweet 95th (French- revolutionary war? http://www.beltplates.com/95.html ) military button, and a piece of old garbage.

The back of the button is very distinctive. Thanks for looking, Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Re: Third Site a Charm

Drew, what a great Rev war button! The birdcage shank is something I never seen. Gratz on the Ct copper also. Nice hunt, wish I could have been out there today.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Drew, you have to stop finding good stuff lol Nice button And the CT isn't so bad either
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

nice button.I believe they are called Turret shanks on those .shhhh your gonna scare the bears!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

what a great button Drew , looks very authentic to me the question now is what is it doing in these parts the only others found or recovered have been in Savanah Ga. and Yorktown Va. unless you have a very rare souvenir of the war taken home , or maybe a couple of allied soldiers exchange buttons for momentos.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dan, could it have been off of one of Rochanbeau's troops? They had a 95th with them and they marched three miles from this site. edit ....I just read that they camped there too.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13732.msg144967#msg144967 date=1373737431
    Dan, could it have been off of one of Rochanbeau's troops? They had a 95th with them and they marched three miles from this site. edit ....I just read that they camped there too.
    where did you get this info from Drew ?? Rochambeau did travel through the state with about 5000 troops but i can't seem to find any info on their regiment numbers.

Very sweet button! Congrats on the finds!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Thanks Milco
    Dan , I skimmed the following, saw french and 95th and didn't read it carefully
    &quotn 6 January 1781, a French landing party of
    about 800 men under the command of Baron
    de Rullecourt landed on the Channel island
    of Jersey. In the subsequent fighting both
    Rullecourt and Major Francis Pierson of the
    95th Regiment were killed. The French force
    was defeated and had to surrender but such
    raids forced Britain to commit substantial
    resources to the defense of the waters
    around the British Isles.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13732.msg144972#msg144972 date=1373741713
    Thanks Milco
    Dan , I skimmed the following, saw french and 95th and didn't read it carefully
    &quotn 6 January 1781, a French landing party of
    about 800 men under the command of Baron
    de Rullecourt landed on the Channel island
    of Jersey. In the subsequent fighting both
    Rullecourt and Major Francis Pierson of the
    95th Regiment were killed. The French force
    was defeated and had to surrender but such
    raids forced Britain to commit substantial
    resources to the defense of the waters
    around the British Isles.
    yeah that was the 800 troops they had broken from the main forces to load up some ships , the main forces were in engagements in an areound Savannah and Yorktown. I have yet to read about any 95th in these parts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13732.msg144974#msg144974 date=1373742622
    yeah that was the 800 troops they had broken from the main forces to load up some ships , the main forces were in engagements in an areound Savannah and Yorktown. I have yet to read about any 95th in these parts yet.
    keep digging we'll get to the bottom of this yet.

Sweet find Drew

Wish today had worked out better but...next time

Brian, I always have fun diggin! Even when the cops kick us out lol ...and I didn't get skunked. I'm the only person invited to detect in the city and find an OX KNOB!! You hear that Dave?? lol
    Thanks again Brian. Call me when you are available and we'll go on safari
    Oh, and thanks Todd, G, and Dave
    Dan, maybe that was the guy's IQ on the button? lol Low normal...like me...hey, I might wear it! (I always wanted to use that googly eye emoticon)
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

My reading suggests that the French numbered all their units in 1791....well after the battle of Yorktown. This websites says my button is from 1813 France-http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dug-french-napoleonic-95th-regiment-button

On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13732.msg145018#msg145018 date=1373815851
    My reading suggests that the French numbered all their units in 1791....well after the battle of Yorktown. This websites says my button is from 1813 France-http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dug-french-napoleonic-95th-regiment-button
    thats not true Drew the French did number there units prior to 1791 and were used in the Revolutionary war ( i have a few books that list them and that regiment as active but just not in this area) , also American units did purchase some French made buttons for their regiments . i wouldn't rule out that its not from Rev. war. era.

Great digs Drew
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks LC!
    Edit #2 below-
    Dan, A button very close to mine is on the french military button site below. They did use numbered units before 1791.
    http://boutonancien.forumactif.com/t...terie-de-ligne

I still cant find any deployment info.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

So Dan's hypothetical about a Rev war button exchange turns out to be very possible.
    I couldn't find any deployment info on this 95th button so I joined a French button forum lol Really....I did. I google translated everything as my French is très mal.
    I posted the button and waited. In the meantime I saw all these posts about Waterbury buttons and things we dig everyday. So it was easy to help them date some buttons. Finally, they helped me with my button....turns out that the 95th was a Irish unit named &quotshocked04:rrington that came into service in 1698. Changed its name to Walsh in 1776. They fought in Grenada with D'Estaing, then were summoned to Georga to assist Rochembeau at Savannah. They went on to Yorktown where they are mentioned on the bronze commemorative battlefield memorial.
    I can imagine happy allied troops exchanging momentos saying, till we meet again in WW1. lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

done a bit of homework and spoke to the wethersfield histerical society and found out when Rochanbeau met washington in wethersfield Rochanbeau bought 400 troops with him and washington bought 90.
    i dont even know where you found it but im thinking ct somwhere ?
    hope this may help .

Thanks Lee, I didn't even know they met in Wethersfield.
    I found the button about three miles from Rochambeau's large troop movement through northeast CT. ...but I think the 95th regiment wasn't with him. I think they came with the French ships from the west indies to meet Wash/Roch.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew