Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • good detectors

0 0%
  • im trying

0 0%

Thread: best detctor for the $

best detctor for the $

I just got on to this site today. I find it very helpful and informative ,as I am new to this site I would like to hear opinions on detectors .my wife bought me a pioneer iv for Christmas, I thought it was good for the price,but thought I wanted something better and so than I bought a at pro.i find both of them good detectors,but im wondering what one I might be the next step up. thank you all for help sorry about the typing and spelling im blue color.

Re: best detctor for the $

hello Pockets , welcome to the forum . i continually hear good reports about the AT Pro and unless your really serious about committing to the hobby i can't see you needing another or better detector . even the top-line machines are only as good as their owner is , so if they don't take the time to understand the machine it isn't any better than an entry level one . what kind of detecting do you enjoy the most (coinshooting in parks and schools , beach combing , relic hunting )??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I totally concur with del. The AT Pro is a great detector. Can you tell us a little more about why you think you need to upgrade?

It takes a long time and many hours (hundreds, optimally) of using a detector to learn it well enough to get the most out of it. That is true for any detector, including the top-of-the-line ones. Sometimes people think the most expensive detectors will give good results easier because they cost more, but the reality is that they just provide more features which can result in more information for the detectorist to interpret and ultimately get better results if they work very hard at it.

Welcome to the forum!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Welcome to the forum from southern Nevada.

Regarding detectors, keep in mind that It's not the wand. It's the wizard.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Welcome from Illinois!

The AT Pro is a great machine, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

thank you all very much.dont get me wrong I love my at. pro but thinking of buying another detector. Im thinking I want a good deteter that might have some different fetures than the at pro.MY son who will probably be using it ,and some times wife. so I guess what I was asking is comments on a good detecter that might have a little something that the at pro does not.
    thanks again guys and good luck

I'm pretty much a Minelab guy, so the E Trac or the CTX 3030 gets my vote.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome to the AD forum. Lots of helpful and friendly members. The AT Pro is a great detector, and is as good a detector as any in the right hands. Check out the different brand forums on this site, they all have great finds. I think my AT Pro is as good as any detector once you learn what it is telling you. I like my other detectors just as much. Each detector has features unique to the brand of detector. Some will argue one brand is better than another at finding deep targets, or finding a good target next to trash. I am not convinced that is the case. I believe it is the operator (there are some great operators on this forum) that really makes the difference. Just like, it is not the bow and arrow that hits the target, but the Indian. I like my Minelab CTX 3030, because of its GEO hunts, and find points, to maps the areas I hunt. Choosing a detector IMHO is really a decision on what make you feel right, or meets your needs. I also believe, the one who dies with the most toys win. rofl Good luck with your choice.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

The AT-Pro is a great all round detector and favorable in my opinion, due to its ability to get wet and not have a meltdown.

It has many great coils to choose from including newer SEF coils.

Take your time there is lots to learn and this is the place to learn a lot.

Welcome and best of luck, John.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

Welcome from Southern Mississippi. I've had the AT Pro from almost two years now and the only bad word that I have for it, is that it makes you dig deeper. You just need to take time and learn the machine, I'm just now starting to feel comfortable with mine. |
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer