Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medieval coins, little French treasure !

medieval coins, little French treasure !

Hi everybody over there !

Right now I'm France during the holidays. 2 days ago a friendly farmer told me that I could search on his property, nearby an old Chateau (castle). OMG, 37 degrees (hot !!) and moscuito's big as eagles haha. The property is so big that I didn't know were to start....Near a fence nearby the old castle my second beep (1st beep was a pulltab....yeah.....even here !!) and my propointer pointed me a piece of iron.....huh...? The beep was to high for iron....so I turned the piece of iron and gladly surprised I was......within it stacked 12 mediėval coins (see pictures). All the same.....they are minted between 1150-1300 BC in Toulouse big French village, 160 km away from the finding-spot) I haven't clean them yet, here are the pic's right from France ! When I'm home I will make them shine !! For now, enjoy the pic's and happy hunting !! Warm greetings, Johan |
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Humus mea arena est watch my finds on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQMd...ature=youtu.be

Re: medieval coins, little French treasure !

12 silver coins stacked
    Humus mea arena est watch my finds on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQMd...ature=youtu.be

what can one say about that ... simply amazing Johan , thats an incredible , 12 silver hammered coins congrats to you and thinks for showing it

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That may be the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

Just to find one of those coins would be a dream come true for most detectorists, but to find 12 of them still stacked together like that?!!!! Just to think that someone lost or buried those coins over 3,000 years ago! It boggles the mind! I wonder what the iron object is that they were in?

Congrats on the mind blowing mind! INCREDIBLE!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13811.msg145635#msg145635 date=1374577661
    That may be the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

Just to find one of those coins would be a dream come true for most detectorists, but to find 12 of them still stacked together like that?!!!! Just to think that someone lost or buried those coins over 3,000 years ago! It boggles the mind! I wonder what the iron object is that they were in?

Congrats on the mind blowing mind! INCREDIBLE!
    Thanks Tony 4 your reply ! I've to adjust the date : it's 1150 AC, not BC. Haha, that would be way back haha. Yeah, it boggles the mind indeed ! Almost 1000 years ago someone lost it or buried it, maybe a knight....a thief......who knows. And when you're standing there....next to that little castle....really what they say: the power of the place ! And I don't have any clue what the iron object is, I think it is the end of a sword holder (I don't know what it is called/named in english). The tip of the sword holder is Always made of iron or copper/bronze.

Greetings from France ! Johan

Oh, and this was my second little treasure ! 2 weeks ago I've found 14 big silver Talers (that was before your Dollar). See the picture !

Quote Originally Posted by Johan K link=topic=13811.msg145653#msg145653 date=1374603214
    And I don't have any clue what the iron object is, I think it is the end of a sword holder (I don't know what it is called/named in english). The tip of the sword holder is Always made of iron or copper/bronze.
    That was exactly what I was thinking it might be, a scabbard tip.

Fascinating!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Very special finds Johan. They cleaned up nicely too! Someday I'm going to take a trip over there....and probably get skunked lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13811.msg145657#msg145657 date=1374605475
    Very special finds Johan. They cleaned up nicely too! Someday I'm going to take a trip over there....and probably get skunked lol
    Hey Drew,

the are'nt clean yet, they will be at the end of the week when I'll come home. They will go in a special bath haha. Someday....you'll be making that trip......and you're welcome ! Digging roman coins !!

Amazing history,amazing finds
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

This post got me excited to see 12 hammers silvers stacked but then you have to add the talers...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thank you for sharing your amazing finds |) |

And a big welcome to the forum

Btw my roots are from Netherland, my maternal great-grandparents immigrated from Friesland & Holland. Looking forward to going there someday Must add that I'm very lucky to have journal entries from their travels across the ocean all the way to Indiana...

Anyway, looking forward to more posts and stories!

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=13811.msg145893#msg145893 date=1374848925

Thank you for sharing your amazing finds |) |

And a big welcome to the forum

Btw my roots are from Netherland, my maternal great-grandparents immigrated from Friesland & Holland. Looking forward to going there someday Must add that I'm very lucky to have journal entries from their travels across the ocean all the way to Indiana...

Anyway, looking forward to more posts and stories!
    :: Hi Tanacat !
    Thanks 4 your welcome ! So.....Friesland.....Fries-blood in your vains.....you're almost a Viking then ! They're big, blond, strong and born to travel the seas.....without the plundering haha. Friesland is next door for me, just a 20 minute walk ! Great that you still have the journals ! And when you're gonna cross the big pont, just pay me a visit ! Oh, and bring your detector! It's just a small country, but lots to find !

Greetings, Johan

What a great dream come true !! Hammered coins and their in awesome shape. I've always wanted to visit Europe to detect and find some of those goodies. I know in England they have a Treasure Trove law which applies to any Silver or Gold coins found. Your supposed to hand over your finds and they look them over. If they don't see anything of great importance, they will send you back the coins .
    Is there any Law like that in France ?
    A lot of guys that travel to England go on those guided hunts and your obligated to do the right thing. I hear that majority of the time, people get their coins back anyways but the Museum or whoever it is that inspects your finds just wants to make sure you haven't found some really rare coin which in that case they can keep the coin if they want to.
    I want to know what all of you think of a law like that and can you imagine if we had a law like that here. Also, does anyone else know of any other Country that is like England ?
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

They are beauties That's all I can say. Luck you noticed them in there and didn't just toss that iron away lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Johan K link=topic=13811.msg145632#msg145632 date=1374576784
    12 silver coins stacked
    Proof that pipe banks go back quite a way in history. I always dig big iron signals hoping to find a nice stash like this.Congrats on a real great find!HH......

Quote Originally Posted by Sal66 link=topic=13811.msg145962#msg145962 date=1374897032
    What a great dream come true !! Hammered coins and their in awesome shape. I've always wanted to visit Europe to detect and find some of those goodies. I know in England they have a Treasure Trove law which applies to any Silver or Gold coins found. Your supposed to hand over your finds and they look them over. If they don't see anything of great importance, they will send you back the coins .
    Is there any Law like that in France ?
    A lot of guys that travel to England go on those guided hunts and your obligated to do the right thing. I hear that majority of the time, people get their coins back anyways but the Museum or whoever it is that inspects your finds just wants to make sure you haven't found some really rare coin which in that case they can keep the coin if they want to.
    I want to know what all of you think of a law like that and can you imagine if we had a law like that here. Also, does anyone else know of any other Country that is like England ?
    I know what you mean Sall ! I've been visiting the UK several times hunting. Last time we've had to wait for more than 2 years to get one hammered coin back ! A friend of mine is still waiting for more than 7 years ! Also the archaeologist in the UK didn't respond on his calls, that really sucks ! So, this year we're going for a another trip, only real rear finds we'll leave behind and report it. In the UK you have to report any find older than 50 years.... So, our group hunters will decide wich find we will report. In France...haha....France is a different story. French people are easy going. The farmer looked into my finds and said, well that's worth a nice bottle of wine.....and I said....I agree haha. The farmer requested also not to report teh find, otherwise maby he can't use his land for months (due to exploration). And, France is filled with objects....great history. These coins I found are common.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan K link=topic=13811.msg145631#msg145631 date=1374576485
    Hi everybody over there !

Right now I'm France during the holidays. 2 days ago a friendly farmer told me that I could search on his property, nearby an old Chateau (castle). OMG, 37 degrees (hot !!) and moscuito's big as eagles haha. The property is so big that I didn't know were to start....Near a fence nearby the old castle my second beep (1st beep was a pulltab....yeah.....even here !!) and my propointer pointed me a piece of iron.....huh...? The beep was to high for iron....so I turned the piece of iron and gladly surprised I was......within it stacked 12 mediėval coins (see pictures). All the same.....they are minted between 1150-1300 BC in Toulouse big French village, 160 km away from the finding-spot) I haven't clean them yet, here are the pic's right from France ! When I'm home I will make them shine !! For now, enjoy the pic's and happy hunting !! Warm greetings, Johan |
    Great find Johan , thanks for the great pix! You should poke around the area as much as possible to see if they hid any yeller ones for you.HH.....

WOW!!! Those are amazing finds! Congratulations to you and thank for posting the pictures! The hammered and thalers are all incredible finds!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by swamp yankee link=topic=13811.msg146270#msg146270 date=1375296120
    Great find Johan , thanks for the great pix! You should poke around the area as much as possible to see if they hid any yeller ones for you.HH.....
    I'd poked the spot several times, and sweeped it with every program in my detector. No silver coins left, and no yellers left also ! I'm back in the Netherlands right now, I'll visit France in oktober. My uncle has a bed and breakfast there, so thats a nice and free headquarter ! Thanks for your reaction.

GORGEOUS!! | | | | | | | | | | | | | thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW