Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Silvery Three Months

A Silvery Three Months

It has been quite a while since I last posted any finds. Of course, it would help if I did get out to detect, but I had been inactive on that end since June of last year. It has been only recently - early May of this year - that I again began to hit the parks. Prior to that my machine had been collecting dust for nearly a year. :-\

In early May I joined midas on a few hunts, and we both scored with several nice finds. Swinging the coil again got my rusty gears going, so I began to make more time for detecting. It took some creative time management though. For the most part I have been able to spend a couple of hours detecting now and then, but recently I have had the opportunity to spend more time hitting parks.

Unfortunately, I neglected to take photos of most of the finds made in May and early June. It wasn't until late June that I began to take photos of what I was finding.

Below are photos of some of the more interesting hunts. So far during these three months I have had six double-digit silver coin hunts totaling 77 silver coins. The total silver count is 144. I didn't take a photo of a 10 silver coin day because it had been early on and I had already co-mingled the coins with finds from last year. They were mercury and Barber dimes though.

The finds in the following photo are from a 3 1/2 hour hunt today, eight silver coins. The 1917 Standing Liberty quarter is a type I, my second type I this year. The first one I found is quite worn, but this one sure is a beauty.

The next few photos are of some of the finds I made in June.

This first photo is of 15 silver coins I picked up on a Saturday while detecting a very trashy site. The Standing Liberty quarter is dated 1925.

I had a limited amount of time on this particular day, so I headed to a local site, one that I had not been to before however. It was a small site, but it yielded six nice silver dimes. The seated and Barber were a pleasant treat.

This time I had a few more hours to work with, so I headed to an old site to tackle a trashy field. It took some effort coaxing the old silver out of the ground, but they sure were worth it. The only disappointment was that neither of the two 1916 mercury dimes has a 'D' mint mark.

Coppers, a 2-Cent piece, and a Spanish silver, dated 1781.

Each of these old silver coins were found at different sites. The 3-cent piece is dated 1852.

The rest of the photos. The thimbles are silver. One of the them has a name engraved on it - Hattie.

July has been a good month for silver. Below are photos of the best hunts.

The large cent is dated 1818.

On this day I had driven about an hour's distance only to find that the soil at my intended site had been redone. Who knows what had been carted away from that site. In any case, I walked over to an inviting adjacent piece of land, a part of the park that had apparently remained untouched. It did not disappoint. From there I carried away with me on this hunt 16 silver coins! The Walker was the hardest to get to as it had been under a layer of rocks and pebbles, probably mixed in along with new soil when a nearby walkway was added. It had not been fun digging while the temperatures hovered in the 90's, but the sixteen silver coins made it worthwhile.

Two days after digging up the 16 silver coins I headed to another location I had on my list of sites to hit. This day too had been a scorcher. The first 90 minutes or so yielded me five silver coins, all dimes. After that I took a break and headed to a local store to grab a cool drink. Once back at the site I decided to carefully grid the area I had been working This effort yielded me seven more silver coins, among them three Barber dimes, a 1779 half reale, and a 1906-O Barber half. I walked away from that site with 12 silver coins in my pouch.

I love digging the early date wheat cents. Most of the 30 in this pile are dated in the twenties and teens.

The soil at a new site I hit was just right for digging; not too hard or too soft. I pulled several old wheat cents from there, along with 11 mercury dimes, two Roosevelt dimes, and a worn 1917 type I Standing Liberty quarter. A total of 14 silver coins.

A hunt of Roosevelt dimes. Five more silver coins added to the pile.

I went back and picked up a few more silver coins.

While reviewing my list of sites I noticed that one I have had for a few years now actually had been labeled with an incorrect address. I corrected the error and then decided to finally check the place out. I drove there yesterday and worked it for about five hours. It turned out to be another silver-yielding site! I walked away with 10 silver coins from that place.

I wish everyone much success during your hunts! Keep digging and keep posting!

Re: A Silvery Three Months

There's what we have been waiting for, our maestro to show us how it's done!

So many mind-blowing finds in one post! Where to begin?! What an incredible variety of finds; seateds, Barbers, spanish silver, trime, SLQs, two-cent piece, walker, Mercs, coppers, and even an unmentioned Fugio in the mix!

I am curious though, do you not dig nickel signals? I suppose that there is so much junk in these parks that digging nickel signals may be extremely time-consuming with not much payoff. Granted, finding silver is much more fun than finding nickels any day.

Thanks for posting these wonderful finds, Angel! It makes me want to fire up my E-Trac and go detecting RIGHT NOW even if it is dark outside. lol

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

that's awesome wtg

Veteran Member

as always Angel , you are an inspiration , ive had a slow year , only 24 so far , you give me hope
    |
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Look at all that silver! Glad you are finally turning on your machine again Angel.

Two 1916 Mercs in one hunt... I'm surprised your heart is still beating. lol

Congrats on some very fine keepers.

Here we go again...... My gosh, great hunting there Angel. Even though it's been a long time between posts you picked it right up where you left off.

Truly an inspiration to all of us out there.

I'm glad you're able to get out again. That SL is certainly a beauty!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Elite Member

..you NEVER cease to amaze Angel!...oh, yeah....so many great finds...no need to mention that Chain cent I see there .I still don't know how you do it >{

I love seeing your posts...but I know if your out clearing it up, it means less for those of us around here to find rofl

I think I'm going to have to pay you for some private lessons
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Great to see your posts again as I love to see the old silver and coppers. Gratz on the fugio and reale. . The 1917 slq is in fantastic shape
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

awesome finds as always
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=13840.msg145886#msg145886 date=1374840481

I love seeing your posts...but I know if your out clearing it up, it means less for those of us around here to find rofl
    my guess is you are picking up what Al and Rob are leaving behind
    PRIZM V
    Oldest coin 1895 IH

I would love to post a comment but I have to pick my brains up off the floor first and secondly, I would have to look in the dictionary for adjectives that could describe this. Seriously, nice hunt? That's like saying Bill Gates has a little extra spending money.

Speechless
    [size=36pt]Congratulations

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Pretty crazy Angel, but I don't suppose I would expect anything less! Congrats on some unreal digging. I would kill to dig silver at even a fraction of the pace you are able to.

Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by silversearcher link=topic=13840.msg145905#msg145905 date=1374855961
    my guess is you are picking up what Al and Rob are leaving behind

<} lol rofl :hysterical:.......

We just clean the trash out of the way for him
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Excellent to see you out again Angel! The finds are right there where you left off last year, some reall beauties in there! Congrats on all the great finds! I hope we see more throughout the late summer and falls months!

What kind of token is this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

It looks like one of those civil war patriot tokens, but I'm sure Angel can give a more detailed answer.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Really nice finds ! I also noticed the 1863 Token and wondered about it. Your exactly correct whoever said it's a Civil War Token . Here's one I found online:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13840.msg145855#msg145855 date=1374806403
    and even an unmentioned Fugio in the mix!
    lol That's the first thing I did, was look back to see where the fugio was mentioned. (I know! Just another pesky fugio! rofl )

As others have said, there really are no words, Angel. Just amazing and inspiring.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=13840.msg145886#msg145886 date=1374840481

I think I'm going to have to pay you for some private lessons
    Yes, if you're starting a course, sign me out lol
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

That's definitely an awesome three months worth of silver finds you got there thumbsup01