Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Silvery Three Months

Re: A Silvery Three Months

Yep....unreal That 1917 is too much
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thank you everyone! You are all very kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13840.msg145855#msg145855 date=1374806403
    There's what we have been waiting for, our maestro to show us how it's done!

So many mind-blowing finds in one post! Where to begin?! What an incredible variety of finds; seateds, Barbers, spanish silver, trime, SLQs, two-cent piece, walker, Mercs, coppers, and even an unmentioned Fugio in the mix!

I am curious though, do you not dig nickel signals? I suppose that there is so much junk in these parks that digging nickel signals may be extremely time-consuming with not much payoff. Granted, finding silver is much more fun than finding nickels any day.

Thanks for posting these wonderful finds, Angel! It makes me want to fire up my E-Trac and go detecting RIGHT NOW even if it is dark outside. lol

I love the Fugio cents. lol It's just heartbreaking to see what the soil at most parks does to coppers though. \:[

Yes, I do dig nickels and other such signals. But I am selective as to when and at what type of site. Digging them at very trashy sites would be far too time consuming, but I will dig the signals if the site is known to have yielded V nickels. Otherwise I limit the digging of those targets to open fields where thrash is minimal and the targets are relatively deep.

Quote Originally Posted by rsarge1 link=topic=13840.msg145856#msg145856 date=1374806581
    |) |) |) that's awesome wtg
    Thanks Sarge!

Quote Originally Posted by dave in iowa link=topic=13840.msg145858#msg145858 date=1374808739
    as always Angel , you are an inspiration , ive had a slow year , only 24 so far , you give me hope
    |
    There is plenty out there Dave. I know you do well in your hunts, so you will get your share. thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=13840.msg145868#msg145868 date=1374826846

Look at all that silver! Glad you are finally turning on your machine again Angel.

Two 1916 Mercs in one hunt... I'm surprised your heart is still beating. lol

Congrats on some very fine keepers.
    Yeah, those mercs had me going for sure. lol When I initially dug one of them there had been a speck of dirt right where the mintmark would be, which made my heart skip a beat since it did resemble a D.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=13840.msg145874#msg145874 date=1374833147
    Here we go again..... |). My gosh, great hunting there Angel. Even though it's been a long time between posts you picked it right up where you left off.

Truly an inspiration to all of us out there.
    I had missed swinging the coil for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber link=topic=13840.msg145878#msg145878 date=1374834387
    I'm glad you're able to get out again. That SL is certainly a beauty!
    Thank you John!

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=13840.msg145886#msg145886 date=1374840481
    ..you NEVER cease to amaze Angel!...oh, yeah....so many great finds...no need to mention that Chain cent I see there .I still don't know how you do it >{

I love seeing your posts...but I know if your out clearing it up, it means less for those of us around here to find rofl

I think I'm going to have to pay you for some private lessons
    Oh come on Rob, you don't need lessons. You are doing quite well for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=13840.msg145900#msg145900 date=1374855219
    Great to see your posts again as I love to see the old silver and coppers. Gratz on the fugio and reale. . The 1917 slq is in fantastic shape
    Thanks! It has been fun digging the old silver and coppers.

Quote Originally Posted by silversearcher link=topic=13840.msg145905#msg145905 date=1374855961
    awesome finds as always
    my guess is you are picking up what Al and Rob are leaving behind
    lol

Of course, they are in fact doing quite well in their hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=13840.msg145909#msg145909 date=1374862581
    I would love to post a comment but I have to pick my brains up off the floor first and secondly, I would have to look in the dictionary for adjectives that could describe this. Seriously, nice hunt? That's like saying Bill Gates has a little extra spending money.

|) |) |)
    lol lol

Thanks Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR link=topic=13840.msg145916#msg145916 date=1374865207
    Speechless
    [size=36pt]Congratulations

GL/HH
    Thank you RaZR! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=13840.msg145917#msg145917 date=1374866943
    Pretty crazy Angel, but I don't suppose I would expect anything less! Congrats on some unreal digging. I would kill to dig silver at even a fraction of the pace you are able to.

Thanks z! It is quite exciting to see one old coin after another pop out of the ground. We should be doing this full time and get paid for it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=13840.msg145946#msg145946 date=1374885781
    Excellent to see you out again Angel! The finds are right there where you left off last year, some reall beauties in there! Congrats on all the great finds! I hope we see more throughout the late summer and falls months!

What kind of token is this?
    Thank you milco! Hopefully my schedule won't change any time soon, allowing me to detect a bit more often before the year ends.

As Tony mentioned, the 'coin' is a civil war token, a 1863 Civil War Edward Miehling Meat Market NY Token to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=13840.msg145963#msg145963 date=1374908590

lol That's the first thing I did, was look back to see where the fugio was mentioned. (I know! Just another pesky fugio! rofl )

As others have said, there really are no words, Angel. Just amazing and inspiring.
    Yeah, those pesky coppers. How dare they interfere with my digging up Roosevelt dimes? lol

Thanks Angie!

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 link=topic=13840.msg145969#msg145969 date=1374924867
    That's definitely an awesome three months worth of silver finds you got there thumbsup01
    Thanks! The hunts were a lot of fun for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew link=topic=13840.msg145984#msg145984 date=1374934197
    Yep....unreal That 1917 is too much
    You should have seen my face when I pulled the coin out of the ground and first saw the reverse. lol A 1916 would have been fantastic, but the 1917 is still a very sweet find, especially since it is in such great shape.

Thanks again everyone!

wow what a haul! some sweet coins angel! glad to see ya back at it thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

I suppose that if I didn't have a job and a family to support I could probably find that much in a few months .. I guess I'll be happy with the 5 silver dimes I have found this year.
    Northern Minnesota

Minelab Explorer
    Garrett AT Pro
    White's Coinmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=13840.msg146033#msg146033 date=1374976151
    wow what a haul! some sweet coins angel! glad to see ya back at it thumbsup01
    Thanks Dave! I love what you have been finding too. You are having a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by MNcoinhunter link=topic=13840.msg146034#msg146034 date=1374976232
    I suppose that if I didn't have a job and a family to support I could probably find that much in a few months .. I guess I'll be happy with the 5 silver dimes I have found this year.
    Perhaps it is unintended, but your comment would seem to suggest to others that I don't have a family to support or that I do not work, both of which would be untrue.

My God, those are amazing hunts

Any one of those would be my best day ever. Quite jealous, congrats!

That's more Coins that I've seen found in such a short time !!

I don't think there's a year from the 1900's that's not in that Hoard of Coins. thumbsup01

I have to say that the Standing Liberty probably was real new when it was lost. Usually you don't see a date or a grade that high, so hats off !
    As a 2 Cent lover, I have to ask. What date is it ? I'd like to see a cleaned up pic.

Take Care. Sal
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

my congrats on the impressive (as usual ) display of silver and coppers Angel
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Man.

That is one beauty of a type1 SLQ.

Fantastic find!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal66 link=topic=13840.msg146252#msg146252 date=1375234747
    That's more Coins that I've seen found in such a short time !!

I don't think there's a year from the 1900's that's not in that Hoard of Coins. thumbsup01

I have to say that the Standing Liberty probably was real new when it was lost. Usually you don't see a date or a grade that high, so hats off !
    As a 2 Cent lover, I have to ask. What date is it ? I'd like to see a cleaned up pic.

Take Care. Sal
    Thanks Sal. I was indeed surprised to see that the SLQ had great detail on it. Most found do have the date quite worn. The 2-Cent pieces are dated 1864 (large motto) and 1865. A third one I found is much too corroded to make out a date.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13840.msg146256#msg146256 date=1375257518
    my congrats on the impressive (as usual ) display of silver and coppers Angel
    Thanks Dan! Of course, I wish the coppers would hold up better, but they still do make for exciting finds. Finding silver is always a treat. It makes playing in dirt much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BKM link=topic=13840.msg146304#msg146304 date=1375386156
    Man.

That is one beauty of a type1 SLQ.

Fantastic find!
    Thank you BKM!

Where does this guy hunt? In a coin shop?
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

Holy Molly ! Great finds , incredible amount of silver and old coinage thumbsup01
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Quote Originally Posted by AmxFred link=topic=13840.msg146313#msg146313 date=1375391742
    Where does this guy hunt? In a coin shop?
    It all has to do with knowing your machine and the skill of the detectorist. Finds like Angels' are possible for everyone with proficiency and patience in using their detector.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

I haven't been on the AD Forum in awhile and your is the first thread I went to! Have always enjoyed seeing your dig Angel!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by midas link=topic=13840.msg146374#msg146374 date=1375479439
    It all has to do with knowing your machine and the skill of the detectorist. Finds like Angels' are possible for everyone with proficiency and patience in using their detector.
    Me thinks the skill of the detectorist involves a research technique that reveals the sites which contain the goods that is superior to the average researcher. An explaination of the method at finding such sites would be a great addition to anyones repertoire which I would certainly like to know as I doubt such areas are available to most---at least in my neck of the modern woods!!!! Are there previous threads of Angels enlightening us on these techniques of research? A link would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13840.msg146757#msg146757 date=1375897853
    Me thinks the skill of the detectorist involves a research technique that reveals the sites which contain the goods that is superior to the average researcher. An explaination of the method at finding such sites would be a great addition to anyones repertoire which I would certainly like to know as I doubt such areas are available to most---at least in my neck of the modern woods!!!! Are there previous threads of Angels enlightening us on these techniques of research? A link would be greatly appreciated.
    And methinks that you have your head in the sand if you believe that there are no skills and/or experience involved. I have detected many times with others at the same park, and my results have been upward of 10 to 1 during the same hunt.

I have no secret list of unknown parks. Every single one is public and easily and readily available to every detectorist. In fact, every park I visit does have the telltales signs of recently dug plugs. The parks have been detected, are being detected, and will continue to be detected. The question is, who is going to walk away with the good stuff? The individual who believes it is all about location and mindlessly sweeps away, or the individual who patiently works a machine he knows well at a very trashy site to pull what others keep walking over year after year?

Denial is a hindrance, not a helper.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13840.msg146757#msg146757 date=1375897853
    Google Earth and history books tell the story, my friend. But even armed with the best research, much depends on the SKILL and PATIENCE of the detectorist to locate the goodies. The worst tool in the hands of a pro does a much better job than the best tool in the hands of an amateur. Practice makes perfect.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Touchy , touchy , touchy I didn't realize I was inferring research was the ONLY skill involved but surely every pro would not deny(as in agree) the value of it in conjunction with proficiency with a detector. Makes me wish even more public venues with such finds existed in my neck of the woods , as I mentioned , where all but the smallest areas were never civilized during age of silver coinage. Guess I'll just have to be content with silver/gold jewelry hunting until the desire to visit the historic part of the country manifests itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13840.msg146797#msg146797 date=1375917904
    Touchy , touchy , touchy I didn't realize I was inferring research was the ONLY skill involved
    Seriously? Do you read what you write? Because you said this:

And that is precisely what you inferred.

I don't know what it is about you that you have to argue with everything and fling negativity and skepticism at absolutely everyone on this forum. Methinks the touchy one is you.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by nicklehead link=topic=13840.msg146797#msg146797 date=1375917904
    Touchy , touchy , touchy I didn't realize I was inferring research was the ONLY skill involved but surely every pro would not deny(as in agree) the value of it in conjunction with proficiency with a detector. Makes me wish even more public venues with such finds existed in my neck of the woods , as I mentioned , where all but the smallest areas were never civilized during age of silver coinage. Guess I'll just have to be content with silver/gold jewelry hunting until the desire to visit the historic part of the country manifests itself.
    No, not touchy. I'm simply fed up with the comments and excuses you and others post to my threads to assuage and validate your own inabilities. Such comments are not welcome.

And you did in fact imply that research and location is the reason for the success, even if thinly veiled. No one has denied that research is highly important. I certainly did not. I happen to rely on it. There is no doubt that research will assist one to narrow down areas with potential, but that is only part of what is needed to be successful. To suggest that finding a site with potential is all that is needed to help one find old coins and relics is akin to suggesting that heart surgery can be performed by simply researching diagrams, books and anatomy photos. Overly dramatic, yes, but don't miss the point.