Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worst hunt ever! may go to hospital today

worst hunt ever! may go to hospital today

one of my worst detecting days ever!.walked into a white faced hornets nest (holy shyt are they aggressive!) they were stinging me all over so fast.started running,tripped and my knee landed on a rock,bloody and the size of a grapefruit.my elbow is all skinned too.then trying to walk the 3 miles tripped & down again.and to top it off i got skunked.one lousy button.the other 2 guys dug nice coppers.i'm seriously contiplating retiring this hobby
    http://www.lawn-care-academy.com/bald-faced-hornet.html
    im sure todd will have plenty to say.usually its funny after running from bees.but i'm still not laughing as i can barely walk.it happened about 10 am and i walked on it till 7pm in the woods.had a hard time focusing and couldn't kneel down to dig targets.not that i was getting alot anyways.my machine took a beating today.bent the whole display backwards.still works though! whites takes a lickin & keeps on tickin! me im not as tough as the machine though rofl
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Re: worst hunt ever! may go to hospital today

white face hornets are no joke they can be real bad mamma-jammas and their nests can be huge with thousands and thousands of hornets in their colony. wow that awful Dave the knee looks painful
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm sorry Dave.
    Take a week off, you'll come out
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

hey we bumped into phil simms detecting! see him in the photo?
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Dave, you are one hard core dude! Hope you recover soon.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Bummer on the knee Dave ! Those bald faced hornets are nasty buggers. I walked under a nest once and just a single hornet got be in the neck. It was like getting stuck with a hot nail. Some R&R for that knee is prescribed. You need to get it better for the fall/winter detecting.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Dave sorry about yesterday. I know your frustration from the day is clouding your mind right now. Like me, I know this hobby is your passion and you will be back at it along my side soon. Time heals all. See you next hunt

BTW : I have video from just after the white face hornet attack on Dave and John
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent link=topic=13901.msg146498#msg146498 date=1375624915
    Bummer on the knee Dave ! Those bald faced hornets are nasty buggers. I walked under a nest once and just a single hornet got be in the neck. It was like getting stuck with a hot nail. Some R&R for that knee is prescribed. You need to get it better for the fall/winter detecting.
    Jeff one hit me in the elbow a few years ago and thats a pretty good description as to how it felt .

well , Dave you can now say you had the best hunt of your life this year (5 GW'S in one day) and the worst in the same year. and that 10 mile death march (in brand new boots ) was a cake walk compared to this one huh. yup take it easy for a few days stick to them radio show interviews for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=13901.msg146500#msg146500 date=1375625513

BTW : I have video from just after the white face hornet attack on Dave and John
    no video of him screaming and running like a wild man from them hornets Todd ah man that would be a great extortion leverage for some of his coppers lol lol

as far as him giving up this hobby , it will never happen .thats just the pain and frustration talking right now Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=13901.msg146502#msg146502 date=1375625956
    no video of him screaming and running like a wild man from them hornets Todd
    Dan, you have no idea, if you could have only seen the entire scenario fold out live... I will try to explain.

The three of us where just exiting the tree line into the old road, John and Dave where a few steps ahead of me on the road. I stop on the path to listen to a target that my coil went over and unbeknownst to Dave and John is a football size hornets nest on the end of a branch hanging into the side of the road. As I am concentrating on my target, I suddenly here Dave screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs and when I look up, I am like...what the heck? That's when I see Dave drop his detector while flailing his arms in the air and high stepping like he was standing on a pile of hot coals. I never knew that Dave could run faster than an Olympian sprinter. He ran right over John like a defensive end sacking a quarter back from the blind side knocking Johnny's detector right from his hands. With abandoning recklessness both John and Dave are high tailing it down the road screaming and yelling like little school girls and that's when I watch Dave face planting over some rocks that where in the middle of the road. I was standing only a few feet from the bald faced hornets nest when this all went down but they wanted nothing to do with me. I felt awful but I knew I had to bust out my video camera >8)

thats a pretty good story tellin Todd , I can almost see it all unfold

I had an x-ray just done.I have a knee cap chip seperated from the main hub lol. the doctor said what? you walked all day on this after it happened? I said yeah,i didnt wanna ruin my detecting buddies day so i hobbled along behind them.she said you should have been off this right away.you guys owe me a copper each now! fork em over! >
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

You in a cast? How long are you down?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Man, is Dave complaining about mosquitoes again Dave those were lady bugs just giving you a little kiss lol I'm glad you got away. It could have been worse, especially if you were allergic to the sting. Deep in the woods there are not a lot of options. Thank God your detecting mates cared enough about you to make you hunt 9 more hours :hysterical: With friends like that, the white faced hornets don't seem so bad. Seriously, take some time and repair. You have plenty of things to clean and display during your recovery. Don't rush the knee.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=13901.msg146533#msg146533 date=1375658740
    Man, is Dave complaining about mosquitoes again Dave those were lady bugs just giving you a little kiss lol I'm glad you got away. It could have been worse, especially if you were allergic to the sting. Deep in the woods there are not a lot of options. Thank God your detecting mates cared enough about you to make you hunt 9 more hours :hysterical: With friends like that, the white faced hornets don't seem so bad. Seriously, take some time and repair. You have plenty of things to clean and display during your recovery. Don't rush the knee.
    clean what? i clean my finds the day i dig em.and i didnt dig nothing yesterday but my face into dirt :hysterical: drew no cast just ace bandage and ice it
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=13901.msg146538#msg146538 date=1375661582
    clean what? i clean my finds the day i dig em.and i didnt dig nothing yesterday but my face into dirt :hysterical: drew no cast just ace bandage and ice it
    Come on Dave, you have electrolysis to do on all that iron, backs of buttons to toothpick clean until your eyeballs fall out and cases to build to display everything (no empty wall space allowed) lol Or you can just wash out the embedded dirt in your skin and call it a day thumbsup01 I hope you heal fast buddy.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I always carry a first aid kit in my back pack since I began detecting and I was finally able to use it for the first time on Dave's broken body How exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy link=topic=13901.msg146542#msg146542 date=1375663128
    I always carry a first aid kit in my back pack since I began detecting and I was finally able to use it for the first time on Dave's broken body How exciting!
    i think you should send me your finds for the day you and johnny.with a box of chocolates & roses!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Dave, my gosh that knee looks horrible. Gotta know, about how far from the nest did they stop attacking you?

Really sorry to read this post but you MUST take some time off and heal that knee.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

..I don't even know where to begin on that one!

That just sux all around >:#
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC