Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 Silver Coins - 1878 Silver Canada Victoria Five Cent

13 Silver Coins - 1878 Silver Canada Victoria Five Cent

Today I had the opportunity for a hunt longer than the usual two hours, so off I went to another site I had on my list of places to check out. Once there though I had to wait a while since the grass was being mowed at the time. Meanwhile I worked a small area near several large trees. Not much ground to cover, but it did yield the first coin I picked up today, a 1878 Silver Canada Victoria Five Cent piece. There wasn't much else there other than a button and part of a buckle. Once the grass was mowed I moved on to the area I had originally intended to work. Targets were sparse, lacking even much in the way of clad coins. I worked that area and a few others, and by the time I called it quits I had 13 silver coins in my pouch.

The Canada 5-cent piece, dated 1878.

The following finds are from other recent hunts.

HH!

Re: 13 Silver Coins - 1878 Silver Canada Victoria Five Cent

Stunning as always Angel! And I mean that almost literally. I look at these posts and I just scratch my head and blink and then scratch my head some more. Your silver digging skills are other worldly. Congrats!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

i would like to say hes photoshoping the pics but ive been on hunts with him and been privy to 6 coppers,barber quarter,and a spanish 8 real in the same time it would take most of us to find a lincoin memorial !!!!!.
    the man is a god..........YOU HEAR ME ...........A GOD !!!!

What a beautiful handful of silver, Angel!

I especially love the 1878 Fish Scale, a coin that I have never found and probably never will.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=13923.msg146731#msg146731 date=1375836703
    Stunning as always Angel! And I mean that almost literally. I look at these posts and I just scratch my head and blink and then scratch my head some more. Your silver digging skills are other worldly. Congrats!
    Thanks Matt! It helps to have a machine whose language I understand. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lee link=topic=13923.msg146734#msg146734 date=1375837038
    i would like to say hes photoshoping the pics but ive been on hunts with him and been privy to 6 coppers,barber quarter,and a spanish 8 real in the same time it would take most of us to find a lincoin memorial !!!!!.
    the man is a god..........YOU HEAR ME ...........A GOD !!!!

Thanks Lee.

Honestly though, as midas stated on another thread, similar results are within the reach of those who make it a point to learn and become very acquainted with their machines, and couple it with persistence, patience, and experience. Did I mention patience? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=13923.msg146735#msg146735 date=1375837676
    What a beautiful handful of silver, Angel!

I especially love the 1878 Fish Scale, a coin that I have never found and probably never will.

Thank you Tony! | Finding the tiny fish scale was a neat surprise. Don't give up yet in your quest to find one!

Elite Member

What mixed emotions I have when I read your posts...... ...then ...then ....then ...then ....then >:#....then.. >{ >:{
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I'm on the same thought pattern as Rob.......... |)

on a great hunt. Can I buy your list of places to huntthinkingabout:?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=13923.msg146749#msg146749 date=1375878664
    What mixed emotions I have when I read your posts...... ...then ...then ....then ...then ....then >:#....then.. >{ >:{
    lol lol So you go through the seven detectorist-fever stages? lol

Thanks Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=13923.msg146755#msg146755 date=1375893146
    I'm on the same thought pattern as Rob.......... |)

on a great hunt. Can I buy your list of places to huntthinkingabout:?
    Well, Rob had me scared for a minute there. lol I thought I would get mugged for my machine at any moment. lol

Oh, and you have the same list I do. lol

Thanks Al!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

WTG Angel, congrats on another double digit silver hunt. |

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Holy Cow! That's a lot of Silver for one hunt! on all that Sweet Silver!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 link=topic=13923.msg146773#msg146773 date=1375903948
    WTG Angel, congrats on another double digit silver hunt. |
    Thanks FF43! It's good to hear from you. I hope you have been able to get in some fun detecting this year.

Quote Originally Posted by skribnodsister link=topic=13923.msg146796#msg146796 date=1375917903
    Holy Cow! That's a lot of Silver for one hunt! on all that Sweet Silver!
    Thank you!

13 silvers is just sick! 8/
    Congrats on another sweet hunt!
    But just finding the fish scale would've made my day! <:
    I might of packed it up and just went home right then! lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=13923.msg146829#msg146829 date=1375932548
    I might of packed it up and just went home right then! lol
    No you would not have Tim! lol You would have been out there longer than ever lol

That is a cute little fish scale Angel. I do remember you posting those before, now that I see it. It's hard to convey how small they really are from the photos, until you hold one of those delicate little half dimes.

Congrats on all the silver! thumbsup01

Seeing these photos makes me realize that I should be checking the year on the roosevelt dimes I dig. If they don't look like shiny silver, I just throw them in the clad pile....
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

As always, I'm speechless so I once again will echo loudly all the previous posts. I would suggest that your minting these in your basement but my son has seen first hand your detecting skills so I along with the others just keep scratching my head and repeating How does he do thatthinkingabout:?

And believe me when I say that I try to mimic your patience but still end up with pop tops, pennies and poison ivy.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel link=topic=13923.msg146748#msg146748 date=1375878077
    Honestly though, as midas stated on another thread, similar results are within the reach of those who make it a point to learn and become very acquainted with their machines, and couple it with persistence, patience, and experience. Did I mention patience? lol
    Angel, with the utmost of respect, I might be inclined to argue this point... or maybe just refine it a bit. To me at least your statement above is a bit like Tiger Woods saying Anyone can shoot 7 under par if they are familiar with the course, know their clubs, and practice often. While knowledge, patience, and familiarity with the equipment are absolute musts and will improve anyone's results in any sport or hobby, I still tend to suspect that you posses a certain je ne sais quoi that gives you an innate skill and overall superiority in metal detecting. Some folks are just gifted in music, some in writing, and some in sports. Well, I think you are just gifted in detecting. Insanely gifted.

Hopefully, I don't just think this as a way of making myself feel better that I am not able to personally see results like yours. I think there are plenty of folks (on this forum especially) who love the hobby as much as you, hunt in the same general areas or types of areas, use the same equipment, and practice (or at least try) the same patience and discipline. The fact that your results are generally so astounding to all of them (myself included) I think bears out my theory that you are a detecting savant.

Again, this is not to say that the practice, patience, and knowledge will not give everyone better results, or that they are not huge factors in yours. Nor is it to say that anyone should give up on dreams of emulating your success in the hobby. And I have no doubt that in no other activity in the world is the foremost master so open, encouraging, and generally fantastic as you are to others in this hobby. For that I feel quite fortunate and offer my deepest thanks. Your posts serve to inspire and motivate me more than I can say. But, I won't find myself disappointed when I don't have overall results like yours because to some extent I just don't think it's possible for me, even if I hunted in the very same spots as you. Although I have no doubt I love this hobby as much as you, and try to practice the same patience and discipline (try being the key word), I just don't think I am gifted in the same way you so clearly are when it comes to detecting.

I hope these thoughts are not negatively received, as that is not my intent. But this is something I've thought about quite a bit, and would welcome other folk's thoughts as well.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw some of the other comments going on in your other amazing posts. Again I apologize if my thoughts sound anything like some of those. I honestly feel badly sometimes because I see how people can often react to your amazing finds with a bit of negativity or some dismissive excuse or reason for your success. I think people are just inclined to want to explain to themselves why your success so far exceeds their own. And in doing so they tend to dismiss the discipline, patience, and practice you put into the hobby. Please understand I am not doing that, and I very much hope it doesn't sound that way. I just tend to think that in addition to all of the best practices, skill, and patience you employ in this hobby you have an gift that exceeds others' (or at least mine).
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Z said it quite eloquently and I totally agree with him (and not because he's my son). Unlike him though, I tend to get quite frustrated when I don't match your finds even when I realize that I will never reach that skill level.

I'm working on both though
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Amazing hunt and super find on the 5c Canadian!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

another awesome day! |
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=13923.msg146842#msg146842 date=1375971523
    Angel, with the utmost of respect, I might be inclined to argue this point... or maybe just refine it a bit. To me at least your statement above is a bit like Tiger Woods saying Anyone can shoot 7 under par if they are familiar with the course, know their clubs, and practice often. While knowledge, patience, and familiarity with the equipment are absolute musts and will improve anyone's results in any sport or hobby, I still tend to suspect that you posses a certain je ne sais quoi that gives you an innate skill and overall superiority in metal detecting. Some folks are just gifted in music, some in writing, and some in sports. Well, I think you are just gifted in detecting. Insanely gifted.

Hopefully, I don't just think this as a way of making myself feel better that I am not able to personally see results like yours. I think there are plenty of folks (on this forum especially) who love the hobby as much as you, hunt in the same general areas or types of areas, use the same equipment, and practice (or at least try) the same patience and discipline. The fact that your results are generally so astounding to all of them (myself included) I think bears out my theory that you are a detecting savant.

Again, this is not to say that the practice, patience, and knowledge will not give everyone better results, or that they are not huge factors in yours. Nor is it to say that anyone should give up on dreams of emulating your success in the hobby. And I have no doubt that in no other activity in the world is the foremost master so open, encouraging, and generally fantastic as you are to others in this hobby. For that I feel quite fortunate and offer my deepest thanks. Your posts serve to inspire and motivate me more than I can say. But, I won't find myself disappointed when I don't have overall results like yours because to some extent I just don't think it's possible for me, even if I hunted in the very same spots as you. Although I have no doubt I love this hobby as much as you, and try to practice the same patience and discipline (try being the key word), I just don't think I am gifted in the same way you so clearly are when it comes to detecting.

I hope these thoughts are not negatively received, as that is not my intent. But this is something I've thought about quite a bit, and would welcome other folk's thoughts as well.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw some of the other comments going on in your other amazing posts. Again I apologize if my thoughts sound anything like some of those. I honestly feel badly sometimes because I see how people can often react to your amazing finds with a bit of negativity or some dismissive excuse or reason for your success. I think people are just inclined to want to explain to themselves why your success so far exceeds their own. And in doing so they tend to dismiss the discipline, patience, and practice you put into the hobby. Please understand I am not doing that, and I very much hope it doesn't sound that way. I just tend to think that in addition to all of the best practices, skill, and patience you employ in this hobby you have an additional gift that exceeds others' (or at least mine).
    Matt, thank you very much for such a thoughtful and, as your dad has noted, eloquent words. You have no reason to apologize, nor reason to believe that your comments would be taken in a negative way. Far from it actually.

I must at this point apologize, since it appears that I may have given the impression that comments made by members in which they express dismay at not having similar opportunities to detect sites such as found on the East Coast or large cities in general bother me. That is not the case at all, I assure you. I actually understand how they feel and I would not impute wrong motive on their part. I would be feeling the same way in their shoes. What does bother me though are comments made by a few who clearly insinuate and/or suggest to others that the success of a given detectorist is only due to where the detectorist lives, or that they are detecting private property or parks not open to the general public, or even that the coins are not actually found. It is never because the detectorist may have acquired skills that allow him or her to be successful.

These individuals are the type who refuse to believe that there are still plenty of old coins to be found. They fail to see that it requires work, dedication, and patience to find such coins. We are far from the 70s and 80s when silver coins were relatively plentiful. Much of what remains today is masked by trash, iron, or just simply deeply buried. Since their own experience has not allowed them to 'taste' this truth, they resort to denigrating and minimizing the success others are having.

I'm not sure what to say about being gifted. I simply consider myself to be an experienced detectorist. Nothing more. I have always believed that success can be had by those who put in the work and time to learn their machines, learn and understand how to 'read' the sites they hunt, and to do research. Take for example the many successful relic and cellar hole hunters we have here. The finds they post are outstanding! They very clearly know their stuff, but the knowledge to find such items didn't come to them by simply sitting at home moping and complaining about the success others were having. The same can be said of the many here, yourself included, who consistently post finds of silver coins, gold rings, and many other desirable finds. They took the time to key in on how their machines work, how they react to metal under all types of conditions, and how to interpret the signals they hear. All of that takes work, time, and patience. I do enjoy reading such posts, even if I am not always able to comment.

Again, Matt, thank you! You have my deepest respect. I mean that quite sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=13923.msg146843#msg146843 date=1375972192
    Z said it quite eloquently and I totally agree with him (and not because he's my son). Unlike him though, I tend to get quite frustrated when I don't match your finds even when I realize that I will never reach that skill level.

I'm working on both though
    Thank you Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=13923.msg146849#msg146849 date=1375976868
    Amazing hunt and super find on the 5c Canadian!
    I do love findings those tiny coins too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT link=topic=13923.msg146850#msg146850 date=1375977572
    another awesome day! |
    Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=13923.msg146842#msg146842 date=1375971523
    To me at least your statement above is a bit like Tiger Woods saying Anyone can shoot 7 under par if they are familiar with the course, know their clubs, and practice often. While knowledge, patience, and familiarity with the equipment are absolute musts and will improve anyone's results in any sport or hobby, I still tend to suspect that you posses a certain je ne sais quoi that gives you an innate skill and overall superiority in metal detecting. Some folks are just gifted in music, some in writing, and some in sports. Well, I think you are just gifted in detecting.
    Again, this is not to say that the practice, patience, and knowledge will not give everyone better results, or that they are not huge factors in yours. Nor is it to say that anyone should give up on dreams of emulating your success in the hobby.
    I think people are just inclined to want to explain to themselves why your success so far exceeds their own. And in doing so they tend to dismiss the discipline, patience, and practice you put into the hobby. I just tend to think that in addition to all of the best practices, skill, and patience you employ in this hobby you have an gift that exceeds others' (or at least mine).
    Well said Z. Angel is indeed the Tiger Woods of silver coin detecting. Coinnut and HeavyMetal the TW of relic hunting etc. We should not give up our dreams of emulating their success, but at the same time not get frustrated at our inability to achieve those results. We each have our particular skill set, so maybe for some detecting isn't one of them. We should not put down or be jealous of the success of others, instead share in their jubilation.
    While at a beach last week I met a guy already detecting the site. He told me that there's nothing there. It's been detected out by those damn treasure clubs. All the while detecting he was complaining about the lack of finds. Frustrated he left an hour later. In that same period, I had a handful of coins and 2 gold rings.
    At another site - a park this time - a detectorist stopped by wanting to know what I was finding. He stated that the area is CLEANED out, that he doesn't even bother to hunt it anymore. He then left. My finds at that site were a seated dime, 2 indian heads, a barber dime and 3 mercs.
    Long and short - there are people out there by their attitude who will never attain success in detecting and who will deride others based on their own lack of success. Be content in what you're finding, strive to improve your detecting abilities and be happy for those who have mastered the art.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense