Thread: Hello from Kansas

Candidate Member

Hello from Kansas

Hello from Kansas. I’m one of those rarely seen women in this hobby. My name is Mikki, I live in Bel AIre, just on the outskirts of Wichita. I’ve been detecting off and on (more off than on), for a number of years, but have recently jumped back in. I have two teenaged sons and a husband which all think I’m pretty much off my rocker… which is probably true. Both of my parents have been detecting for many years, so it’s probably in my blood. I’m currently using one of their old White’s. It’s a Coinmaster 4/DB TR D. Probably older than some of the members here! I’m sure I’ll upgrade one of these days, but for now this old White gives me a good workout.

Re: Hello from Kansas

Hello, Mikki! Welcome from Illinois!

The Owner/Administrator of this site is a woman (Epi-hunter) as is one of our Senior Global Moderators (tanacat). We have several female members here as well, so don't feel that you are alone.

I inherited my metal detecting genes from my parents too, they started in the late 1960s, so I know what you mean about it being in your blood.

Glad to have you here! We're looking forward to your participation on the forum! |

Tony

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Candidate Member

Thank you Tony.

I actually found this site from reading blogs from a fellow female hunter, Detecting Diva. She has a link to Dick Stout, who has a link to this forum.

I've enjoyed reading the hints, tips and funny quips from your members. I decided rather than be the fly on the wall, I might as well just go ahead and join your group of happy hunters

Thanks again for the nice welcome!
    Mikki

Hi Mikki, and welcome from another female metal detectorist! I'm glad you found us

I know what you mean about it being in your blood. After I started detecting I found out my grandmother used to metal detect. She died at the age of 99 recently, and I inherited two of her old White's detectors. She used to tell me stories about how she would try to detect the fairgrounds decades ago (the same fairgrounds I now detect) in Iowa, and the men who were there detecting at the same time would tell her to go away, that women should not be detecting and it was their fairgrounds. lol

Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Hello and welcome from the Washington / Oregon border. I started in the 80's with a White's 5900di but took a hiatus for about 25 years. Now I use a Garrett AT Pro but still have the old White's as a spare.

When you said it was in your blood I realized that my dad, an old school Swede, used to find stuff with a branch cut like a Y. He claimed he could find anything, including where to dig a well. So maybe it's in my blood too, although my dad spent a lot less on equipment!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Welcome to the forum from Connecticut , so glad you found the site and decided to join us Mikki .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member

Thank you all for the nice welcomes!!!

Epi-hunter, I know exactly what your grandmother went through on the fair grounds, and condolences by the way. My mother encountered one of these young men once that didn't appreciate a little lady being on their territory, and he didn't think she knew what she was doing with a knife the size she was carrying. Mom's favorite digging tool is a large Bowie Knife. She can dig a perfect plug everytime. When she's finished, you'd never know she was there.

Skamaniac, that's funny! I sure wish I knew how to use a 'Y' stick. I guess I'll just continue with my old White's for right now, but sure gets heavy after a while. I've been trying to figure out a way to mount an arm rest thing on it like all the new models have, but I haven't made it past the drawing board.

You folks are legacies! |)
    Mikki, I hope you enjoy the forum. Do you have a favorite family find?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hello from the Oregon / California Border!

I'm new to the forum as well, and it wasn't until I read the responses to your greeting that I realized I'm out of my element...

It seems everyone else here has this hobby in their gene pool, and all I am is a junk collector! lol

Seriously, you will find this is a very supportive and intelligent bunch. I hope you find better looking bottle caps than me!

Garrett Ace 350

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance." -Woody Allen

Welcome from western MA. off your rocker is a phrase I have had directed at me more than once. Glad you decided to join us and hope we can be of help. Looking forward to your future posts and finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome Mikki from western MA. I know all about them heavy Whites machines lol The workout I got from my old Coinmaster is probably the reason I can still detect today Who in their right mind puts 14 AA batteries in a machine anyways Hope you find something good soon thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome to the forum Mikki!

My husband doesn't detect but he likes to see what I've found lol He used to think I was nuts but after several years he's realized it makes mama happy and of course everybody is happy when mama is happy And thanks to the Nat'l Geo &quotiggers show he's learning to appreciate the hobby even more -he recently said 'these guys are kinda growing on me' |.

I also have 2 sons but a bit younger than yours- 5 & 8 yrs old. I just bought them a White's Coinmaster (newer version) and I use V3i and before that an XLT. I love White's but want to give some of these Minelabs a swing...

Glad you found us here Like Tony said there are a few women here on the forum. In fact I metal detect with several women here in Kentucky- we love the old homesteads and getting out in the woods for the older stuff
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Candidate Member

Once again, thank you all for the nice welcome mat.

OxShoeDrew, you asked about a favorite family find. Well I have a story for you. This past spring my company had an employee picnic which had plenty of outdoor activities, including sand volley ball. One of the young women here lost her engagement ring in the sand. Everyone stopped, looked, raked and dug and found nothing. The next day I called my parents (both retired), and asked if they would mind coming over to take a look. They both have Garrett detectors and within 15 minutes of sweeping they had found one of the largest diamond rings I’ve ever seen! Needless to say the girl was so happy she broke down in tears and hugged the stuffing out of both Mom and Daddy! It was a GREAT day for all.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Hello Mikki and welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. Good luck and happy hunting.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Hello and Welcome from New Jersey.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to know if your are still visiting the site. I live North of El Dorado KS. but grew up in Park City KS. I would love to have a hunting buddy and I do travel to Wichita most days as I work there. Drop me a line if you are still linked to the site and still detecting. There is a lot of unexplored ground in Kansas and there is always the chance to find some friendship along the way.
    There is a group of detectorists in the WIchita area Called the Wheat State Treasure Hunters. I am a member and they are a great group of people. There are a few women in the group but it would be great to have you as a member as well. No dues and semi regular gathering of members for a meeting and a hunt in Wichita.
    I am OLD, Married, and looking for a companion to detect with. If interested give me a shout.
    Qualla