Thread: 2013 Beach Vacation Detecting Finds

2013 Beach Vacation Detecting Finds

We got back yesterday from our annual beach vacation - hands down the best two weeks of the year. It was sad heading home and I'm already looking forward to next year. The beach is a great place and we swam, played, partied, and relaxed just about non stop.

Of course, the added perk for me and my dad on this vacation is the fun beach detecting. We were up before dawn just about every morning working the sand for treasure. We did alright in that regard this year. Hopefully my dad will post his finds as well. I scored three pieces of gold - a small 10k pendant, a 10k ring with a large cubic zirconia, and a nice 14k yellow and white gold band. The 10k ring was found in a spot that was giving up many cruddy green coins and even the ring came out with a green crust that flaked off with a toothpick. I also found 10 pieces of silver although they were all tiny. The majority were heavily tarnished toe rings. The best of the bunch is a cool log cabin charm that opens to reveal a hanging kettle inside.

The clad count was alright - 529 coins worth $42.95. Among them were 5 wheats and an older nickel - I suspect 2 of the wheats had been there for a while. I also dug a Canadian Toonie (which sounded exactly like a crown bottle cap) and a 1969 German 2 Deutsche Mark coin.

Beyond the finds, the sounds and sights of detecting on the beach were worth the trip by themselves. I like seeing the sun rise every day, and took some good pictures of the nicer ones. The beach is quiet and peaceful early in the day. I've also found there is something very relaxing about detecting barefoot.

We managed to meet up with Del who was at the same beach for a few mornings. It was a pleasure to chat with him, and be able to thank him in person for all of the info he provides on this forum! Hopefully we will be able to get together again someday either on the beach again or maybe at a cellar hole somewhere - I'd love to give the latter a try for sure. Del, if you ever head into upstate NY I hope you'll drop me a line!

As always, we saw many other detectorists on the beach daily - on average I would say 12 or more at time. With this in mind I am stunned by how many old style beaver tail pull tabs I dug. These things haven't been used in 30 years I think and yet I still left the beach every morning with a handful of them. Either the beach was once a mix of 50% sand and 50% pull tabs or most people aren't digging these things (which I would find hard to believe).

So now it's back to work tomorrow... not a happy prospect, but at least I have a few gold items to weigh on the scale there so that helps! And I have some fantastic pictures and memories to look back on throughout the year.

Happy Hunting...
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: 2013 Beach Vacation Detecting Finds

Here's some of the nicer sunrises... and also a pic of a seagull who decided my sandals made a nice place to sit when I left them on beach one morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Matt the pictures of the sunrises are spectacular , feel like i'm back on the beach . It was a real pleasure to finally meet and chat with you and your Father in person ( wished i had longer time to stay at Hampton it would of been great to grab a coffee after one of those morning hunts) . congratulations you did very well in the jewelry department
    i found more than a few of them older type pulltabs as well and a bunch of junk jewelry but no yellow

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You did fantastic this year. Those are some nice finds. Pictures are great!!!Del didn't slow you guys down did he lol He is a talker I can see why you miss the place already
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I had to look at those gold rings all week but I guess I should still congrat you on finding them. crying01

In addition to the detecting there was also plenty of good food and some

And lastly, thanks for doing the cooking.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Great pictures and finds also. The houses in the back ground is where my mother lives. Glad you and your pops got in the hunts, bet you are already looking forward to next year.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=14128.msg148713#msg148713 date=1378227355
    Great pictures and finds also. The houses in the back ground is where my mother lives. Glad you and your pops got in the hunts, bet you are already looking forward to next year.
    That is without doubt a pretty nice location to live. I didn't realize you are from the area. Small world.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

What a haul ! Love the gold ring , congrats ! thumbsup01
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Sounds like a great time and you gotta a nice haul while you were at it! Not sure why people would not dig those pull tab signals at a beach, but some people are more patient than others, so your paid off with you rewards!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Very impressive! Will be going to the beack in October. If I find 1/4 of the things you did I'd be happy. (Weird to see an ocean sunrise in your pics instead of a sunset.)
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.