Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coin 360 years old? I'll never find another!

Coin 360 years old? I'll never find another!

Well yesterday I take the day out of work to detect with Safari Scott and my buddy Jesse. This was an amazing day of hunting.

First signal of the day rang in like a memorial took me a little bit to find this little guy in the plug but I flipped out when I saw the pine tree on the back.
    It looked like an old pull tab at first.

Here's a couple of pics of my 1652 Massachusetts 6 pence Pine Tree. This was a dream coin for me I never thought I would get.

I'm still mind boggled.
    Primary machine: Fisher F75 SE Black
    Killer B's Camo headphones
    Oldest coin: 1652 Massachusetts pine tree 6 pence

Re: Coin 360 years old? I'll never find another!

Now that's a real find. A friend of mine found one also, unfortunately his turned out to be a fake but yours looks very real. Please take it to a reputable dealer because it could be worth a small fortune.
    You can't take it with you, so leave it for me to find!

Quote Originally Posted by TundraDigger link=topic=14383.msg151055#msg151055 date=1381247574
    Now that's a real find. A friend of mine found one also, unfortunately his turned out to be a fake but yours looks very real. Please take it to a reputable dealer because it could be worth a small fortune.
    I dont want to let it out of my site so it doesnt get switched with a fake. Im looking for a good local dealer that would be willing to grade it infront of me.

UMMMMM......... Did i say.........

Congrats to you on one heck of a piece of history. Happy Hunting!!!
    Banner for sure!!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Super find |) |) |) It doesn't get any better than Mass silver and you didn't even nick it Definitely don't clean it. You can get slabs that you can put them in and just look over other examples for the grade. It's XF at least at first glance. You should be able to get the Noe variety. For now I would put it in a 2x2 for safe keeping. Perfect looking patina on it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=14383.msg151060#msg151060 date=1381251435
    Super find |) |) |) It doesn't get any better than Mass silver and you didn't even nick it Definitely don't clean it. You can get slabs that you can put them in and just look over other examples for the grade. It's XF at least at first glance. You should be able to get the Noe variety. For now I would put it in a 2x2 for safe keeping. Perfect looking patina on it.
    You would grade it that high?? I might have more then I originally thought. All I did was soaked it in hot water to get some of the dirt to break up, and it did. No rubbing it or anything like that as.

|) |) |) |) |) |) |) |) |) |)

This, to me, is the pretty much the ULTIMATE find, at least for detectorists in the United States. Massachusetts silver coins from 1652 are the stuff dreams are made of! Yours is a beautiful example of the sixpence! Wow, I can't stop looking at it!

Find of a lifetime without a doubt! |

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

After you found it Scott was so excited he called me to describe it He said he missed it by 20 feet

Unreal find, I wish you well in the displaying or selling
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks Guys

Drew he was just picking on me because i have been having issues with my F75. Scott said turn the machine on this time, lol. He was 20 feet away from it. It will be my centerpiece of my collection!

Alan , i'm pretty confident its a Noe-33 and xf could value the coin at around $8000 . its a great coin and not as nearly as common as the schilling . mega congrats to ya .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Umm... I'm speechless! That is unbelievable would love to see a size reference picture next to another coin.
    What an amazing discovery. Very happy for you.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Congrats again Alan. Incredible. So I guess I had a good choice of location for us to go to. Aren't you glad we didn't go to the cellar holes instead ha ha.
    2015 YTD $4.96 Silvers (16) Buff (3) V Nickel (4) IH (4) Gold (1) Minelab Safari and ProFind

Quote Originally Posted by SafariScott link=topic=14383.msg151081#msg151081 date=1381266846
    Congrats again Alan. Incredible. So I guess I had a good choice of location for us to go to. Aren't you glad we didn't go to the cellar holes instead ha ha.
    Thanks Scott, it was a good mix of locations yesterday. I think im still in shock.

One HECK of a find. Huge congrats!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

[size=1t] WOW
    Congrats on the once in a lifetime recovery!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Coinshooter link=topic=14383.msg151064#msg151064 date=1381252243
    You would grade it that high?? I might have more then I originally thought. All I did was soaked it in hot water to get some of the dirt to break up, and it did. No rubbing it or anything like that as.
    Grading colonial coins and especially early Mass silver is different from the other coins. Look over some examples that PCGS or other grading companies have. I'm guessing XF, but that is just a rough guess. The reason they grade different is in the manufacturing of the coin. The process often leads to weak strikes which do not affect the grade. So something that looks F or VF can actually be XF. Do some picture hopping on line and see what graded ones look like. Unbelievable find, and you did well not to do anything else to it, especially not giving it a little rub lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Speechless....AMAZING find, congrats to you on the find of a lifetime!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

What a Coin find of a lifetime !!

That's probably one of the rarest Coins I've seen posted here. If it's worth as much as Dan says and I'm sure he's correct, I would definitely have it Graded . |
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Blog Entries

Congrats with your nice old coin.
    Special find.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a truly amazing find indeed thumbsup01 a huge congrats on that Pine Tree