Thread: Found some old silver in the Sierras this weekend

Found some old silver in the Sierras this weekend

Got back up to the family cabin this weekend in the Sierras . My son and I got out early Saturday and did some hunting at my favorite old site . We hunted a good three hours and found some clad . The good find for my son was ring #6 for the year . It a small plated one with a heart . I was lucky in finding some old silver . The first was a 1914 Barber dime at a good 5 inches deep . Then maybe an hour later I had a crazy jumpy signal at 7 inches . I was digging out the dirt when I saw a small disk fly out , a 1902 Indian Head penny . Then 15 minutes after that I had a 4 inch +79 and it was Barber #2 for the day . A 1912 Dime . Along the way I found some wheats , 1942D , 1947D , 1953S and 1957D . The one other cool find was a small button with an anchor on it . This will be the last hunt up at the cabin this year . I'll try and get back around April after the snow is gone . thumbsup01
    HH
    Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Re: Found some old silver in the Sierras this weekend

on the old coins and your sons 6th ring for the year. Always like to see Barbers posted. |
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great finds, Glen! |

It looks like you are just as adept at finding old coins as you are at finding rings.

I love the Barber Dimes!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Excellent hunt and report!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Great to see silver coming out of the ground closer to my 'neck of the woods'! Great finds, and great pictures....
    Garrett Ace 350

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance." -Woody Allen

Great finds!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Those two Barbers and the Indian are early coins out there. You must be in a good, old spot I'm surprised that they did not have a &quot or S mint mark Nice pics too.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=14443.msg151958#msg151958 date=1382236213
    Those two Barbers and the Indian are early coins out there. You must be in a good, old spot I'm surprised that they did not have a &quot or S mint mark Nice pics too.
    Two months ago I had hunted the same place and found two Seated dimes . The area dates back to the early 1880's .
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!